Editing

edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I just upgraded from a really old 32bit pent system to a core i7 64 bit system. The old Premiere and Photoshop I have don't run on on the new system. I guess I could do just the animating on the 64 bit system and keep doing the image and editing work on the old system, but would like to be able to do it all on the new system.

So wondering what people use as their image and video editing software. What people think is good...

Thanks

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited January 2013

namobor said:
    I just upgraded from a really old 32bit pent system to a core i7 64 bit system. The old Premiere and Photoshop I have don't run on on the new system. I guess I could do just the animating on the 64 bit system and keep doing the image and editing work on the old system, but would like to be able to do it all on the new system.

So wondering what people use as their image and video editing software. What people think is good...

Thanks

There are all kinds of great software for editing graphics and animation. I would tend to sick with what you are most comfortable with

I use Photoshop CS5.5 for my graphic post work and Abode Premiere cs5 for my flim editing work. But i also use Gimp and Printeshop pro12 as well for post work graphics.

and I have and sometimes use Sony Vega for film editing. But i prefer cs5 Premiere because of the options i have,

Too Me , its all really a matter of preference and what your comfortable with using. .. Good luck I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

namobor said:

Thanks

I also had to upgrade from my trusty old Photoshop V.5 (mid-90's?) when my 64 bit system refused to install a 16 bit app (just the PS installer I think). So I got Photoshop Elements, around $50 on sale, not bad and does pretty much what my trusty V.5 did. Later, Amazon offered Photoshop CS5 to purchasers of Elements for about $200 I recall, so I got it. Its good, but at full price of ~$600 I could not justify it over Elements.

My video editor of choice is Magix' Movie Edit Pro MX, available in several price options from $60 to $130:

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/

It has a lot of nice advanced "After Effects" type features, plus the "Premium" version bundles some nice 3rd party plugins. I have older versions of Premiere and After Effects, but they seem cumbersome to use v. MEP.

I agree with Ivy that you should use what feels intuitive, but that's hard to judge sometimes. Trial versions are usually available.

• MaterialForgeMaterialForge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm using Sony Vegas, but there are some nice text and titling tricks that are much easier to do in Premiere. So like Ivy said, really personal preference - try both (there are free trials for each) and see which works best for your workflow.

One suggestion too, if your 32-bit system still runs Photoshop and video without issues, you might find you want to have that 64-bit system cranking out renders while you work on the editing. This way you don't have to stop working while renders are processing.

• TheDustDevilTheDustDevil Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

On work jobs I'm forced to use Final Cut Pro which I hate. For my home projects I'll always use Sony Vegas which now has a direct link to HitFilm 2 that I use for all my post work. I find Photoshop Elements 10 has everything I need for still work.

James

• Shakib22445Shakib22445 Posts: 1
    edited March 2013

The old Premiere and Photoshop I have don’t run on on the new editing system.

integrated management system

Post edited by Shakib22445 on