negative boolean causing unrelated render "hole"

srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
edited January 2013 in Bryce Discussion

When I try to make a hole in this object using a negative boolean, a completely unrelated part of the object is not being rendered. Any ideas how to fix this?

It appears as though the undesired "hole" (circled in red) is a portion of the foreground part of the object that is not backed by the opposite side of itself.

(Other info: If you delete the boolean group, the object is fine. The boolean itself works fine. The rectangular hole on the left is actually there and not part of the problem. If you change the angle so the foreground portion of the object doesn't line up with the background portion, the issue is hidden, but I don't wish to do that in my real scene).

screenshot,_hull_and_terrain_problem.png
866 x 671 - 261K
Post edited by sriesch on

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

screenshot,_hull_and_terrain_problem_2.png
    863 x 696 - 308K
    edited January 2013

exactly the same scene, but with the group lowered down into the ground a bit so you can see over the top more. Now the front is ok but the back suddenly develops a hole.

screenshot,_hull_and_terrain_problem_3.png
    928 x 444 - 164K
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Hmm - Have you tried setting the "Solid when Boolean Rendering" in the Edit Mesh dialog for the ship import?

edited December 1969

It was checked, and unchecking it worked, thanks!

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

UNchecking it worked???

...Er.. OK.

You might want to check the nature of your model. If UNchecking the solid button worked, sounds like the mesh's normals are reversed. Could cause trouble further down the track.

edited December 1969

Just out of curiosity, what was this checkbox supposed to be doing? I glanced through the manual, but didn't locate an explanation.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

In theory, the 'Solid When Boolean' option makes sure the mesh object is solid between the faces of the mesh.
    If that box is not checked, Bryce will interpret the mesh as a hollow mesh and when you punch a hole in it, the edges of the hole will not have a face but instead be an open void.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

When it's unchecked it just "trims" the surface of the Mesh. Checked, it treats the mesh as a "solid". Image (hopefully) shows this.
    Note this only applies to meshes, including terrains. Primitives are always "solid".

solid_boolean.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
    edited December 1969

Understood, thanks guys.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I learn something new every time I come here :)