Blurrier renders

2»

Comments

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

A bit off topic. You seem to have the 'shoulder collapse' issue associated with importing V4 from a Poser scene. You're not mentioning it now but given time it will seriously bug you.

This is caused by the way that Poser saves the deformer information contained in the V4 figure and then how Carrara interprets that.

To get around this you can save the Pose and Morph settings for your character to the Poser Library and then apply those to a fresh V4++ in Carrara. Or get Fenrics pose transfer utilities.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Yes, thanks, i did notice it, and it was on my "to-do" but I figured I dialed something wrong. I did not realize it was an issue. :(

Well, here is my "fixed" eyes, and a little less busty (for Holly), but its tough to "fix" that when her waist is about as wide as her head ;-)

CarraraLara7.jpg
    640 x 480 - 35K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Yes, thanks, i did notice it, and it was on my "to-do" but I figured I dialed something wrong. I did not realize it was an issue. :(

Well, here is my "fixed" eyes, and a little less busty (for Holly), but its tough to "fix" that when her waist is about as wide as her head ;-)

Oh, I like the eyes a lot now...

And letting some of the helium out of those balloons fixed the pokethru issue with the shoulder harness.... LOL!

edited December 1969

Anyway to fix those shoulder crush problems without reloading V4? i got all these materials just right. Alternatively...any way to save all these materials out to apply them to a new V4? Can I just save the big checkered box to the content area, and reload it onto a new V4?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Anyway to fix those shoulder crush problems without reloading V4? i got all these materials just right. Alternatively...any way to save all these materials out to apply them to a new V4? Can I just save the big checkered box to the content area, and reload it onto a new V4?

What you do, is select the model and then select the shading tab. You should see a multi-colored (checkered) ball at the top of the shading domain list. Drag the multi-colored ball to your Shaders Browser. If you've installed the native content, you should see a Skin directory/folder you can drop it into. If you want a special directory just for your own skin shaders, you can create a directory/folder on your HD wherever you'd like and then click the little black icon ion the far right of the browser to add your folder. When you drop the shader icon onto the Browser, Carrara will ask you to name the file, or you can leave the name as it's default.

Picture_1.png
    1138 x 460 - 78K
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    i got all these materials just right. Alternatively...any way to save all these materials out to apply them to a new V4? Can I just save the big checkered box to the content area, and reload it onto a new V4?

Yes, just drag the big multi-ball to your Shaders Browser. When you load another V4 drag that multiball out of the browser up onto the same place in the shader room...
    edited December 1969

Great, thanks Y'all!

edited January 2013

OK, reloaded and re-material'd! Now....are we sure that there is no way to adjust the Hip of a conformed item? No secret unlock code? No Fenric script to expose keys to the dials? No workaround?

Stupid poke-through on the belt, I would have fixed in a second in DS or Poser...but I am locked out here?!?

CarraraLara8a.jpg
    480 x 640 - 25K
    Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    OK, reloaded and re-material'd! Now....are we sure that there is no way to adjust the Hip of a conformed item? No secret unlock code? No Fenric script to expose keys to the dials? No workaround?

Stupid poke-through on the belt, I would have fixed in a second in DS or Poser...but I am locked out here?!?

Select the hip of the conformed clothes and look for an adjustment morph?

edited December 1969

Click the Wrench/Spanner and edit the belt's mesh in the assembly room. Soft selection, and a few gentle tugs on the X/Y position controls to make it a tiny bit bigger.

edited December 1969

If you know what you're doing in Poser or Studio (with the CCT) you can uhide the adjustment dials in there and save a new CR2 to the library.

Studio will even unlock the full body morphs for you so that you don't have to worry about figure groups when you add custom morphs in Carrara.

You can also edit the CR2 by hand.

Once you get used to adding morphs in Carrara you'll realise how much better it can be than trying to get a close enough fit with scaling and translation dials that never seem to work quite perfectly.

Let me do some screen grabs.

edited December 1969

Couple of screenshots would be great, thanks!

edited January 2013

I'm having trouble posting images right now, had to switch to the laptop to post this. I'll try again later.

Post edited by RoguePilot on
    edited January 2013

I use muscle morphs a lot so I'll use that as an example.

Dialling up the deltoid on Vicky produces the usual poke through.

Click on the 'Model' line in the clothes and then the 'Spanner' icon at the top left of the screen to go into assembly room vertex editing mode. If the clothes are still lined up and you're ok with the change being permanent you can edit the mesh straight away.

Otherwise switch to 'Animated' mode to apply any active poses or morphs. From that point you are locked out of the base mesh but can add morphs.

Image2.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 376K
    Image1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 347K
    edited January 2013

Click on the Morph tab.

Select the body part that you want to edit in the drop down box.

If the original CR2 is set up right the whole figure option will be available. Choose that if you can.

Make sure that you have a Morph group highlighted (little yellow marker) then

Click the '+' symbol to create a name for your morph.

Re-highlight the named morph.

Now click the 'Pen' icon to start editing the morph.

Image5.jpg
    260 x 384 - 40K
    Image4.jpg
    653 x 702 - 106K
    edited January 2013

Use the translate tool with soft selection on,

Adjust the range and softness to be appropriate to the mesh.

For clothing poke through, face selection mode is usually the easiest to use.

Set the tool orientation to 'Selection' and that will always point the blue arrow in the direction of the face normal, usually outward.

Now simply massage the mesh outward, working around the edge of the poke-through towards the middle in small increments.

This can be pretty quick to do depending on the size of the issue but time and patience do pay off in the end. Don't try to pull a large area out all at once or you'll get odd bulges.

While I'm in the vertex modeller I like to apply a level of smoothing to any low density meshes. Do not convert, leave it as dynamic.

Image8.jpg
    1121 x 741 - 223K
    Image7.jpg
    839 x 942 - 185K
    edited January 2013

Here I've fixed the slight poke that came from setting the smoothing, took a few seconds.

Click the 'Tick' icon back in the 'Morph' tab to validate the morph.

This will confirm the changes and drop the morph so dont be surprised if the mesh goes back to it's starting position.

Click the 'Hand' icon at the top left of the screen to drop out of the vertex modeller.

The new morph will now be in the morph list and can be dialled up to 1.

If you were unable to insert the morph into the 'figure' section you will have to go into the body part to see it.

Lastly a small tip. If you have DS4 you can use the 'Transfer active morphs' function to put in a missing body morph. Exporting a new CR2 will then create the neccessary links to enable the 'figure' group to be available in Carrara. Basically the DS4 exporter writes a CR2 in the DAZ standard which is what the Cararra importer was built around. (The standard in this case is that for a FBM both the Group Name and MorphName exists in all body parts throughout the figure that are associated with any part of the mesh).

Image11.jpg
    660 x 771 - 114K
    Image9.jpg
    617 x 796 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Rogue Pilot! I've learned something useful today!

edited December 1969

Here I've fixed the slight poke that came from setting the smoothing, took a few seconds.

Click the 'Tick' icon back in the 'Morph' tab to validate the morph.

This will confirm the changes and drop the morph so dont be surprised if the mesh goes back to it's starting position.

Click the 'Hand' icon at the top left of the screen to drop out of the vertex modeller.

The new morph will now be in the morph list and can be dialled up to 1.

If you were unable to insert the morph into the 'figure' section you will have to go into the body part to see it.

WOW! I didn't know how easy it is to save those modifications as morphs.... Thank you!!
    edited December 1969

You're welcome.

I like Carrara for clothes modelling.

It's easy to model clothes directly onto V4 in the assembly room but then I have to export to Poser or Studio to rig and add morphs. The obj import scaling into Poser is really odd to work out too. The Studio to Hexagon bridge does work well but I find Hex very sluggish when using a morphed V4 as a template so I end up making do with auto transfer utilities.

A CR2 exporter for Carrara that included any added custom morphs would have been the perfect pipeline for Poser content creation.

Maybe the DSON format will at least allow the export of outfits for Genesis.