Understanding Hirachical Materials ?

Hi,

up to now, I thought I understood the concept of the H.Material(s) preset.
But for the current situation I have really some (??).

I chose the Wall Torch of the Lighting Collection product and parented a small cylinder (usage as ghostlight) to it. The outcome you can see over here.
So far ...
Now I created two H.Materials presets to switch the light off and on. As I wanted to apply this preset to the other torches (also with an individually parented ghoslight cylinder), the preset ever only affected the torch I used to create it, instead of the selected one.

Next I tried it with a new creation. Same outcome. For the prop I created the preset from, it works; for a second set - no reaction.
The attachment illustrates the situation.

Any ideas? Or is this a bug?
In general for Hirarchical materials Preset furthermore I miss the possibility to select the individual parameters of the surfaces settings. But this is a second aspect and OoT for this thread.

I'm still using DAZ 4.9.2.70.

Test for Hirarchical Materials.jpg
522 x 417 - 29K

Comments

• I thought Hierarchical presets worked only with figures - perhaps that is why you are seeing this behaviour using a prop.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Ah,

so you think, transforming the props of the Lighting Collection product to figures would solve the issue?
    Doesn't it harm the geometry of the props?

• It won't affect the geometry at all

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Yes,

that was a different effect when trying to do something under "edit" -> "geometry" -> ...

So: solved.
    Had to store each involved single asset as "Figure". Then load again and parent. Next create the H.Material and store the construction as Scene-Subset to be used as a new complex Prop in the future.

Puh, realy laborious. wink