Random Sky Generator Bryce7 pro

IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I was looking at some old Robin Woods tutorials--many of them seem still very useful to me even though designed for Bryce version 5, which I still have, but a lot applies to my current version, 7.
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BryceTutSet.html

Been playing with the Random Sky Generator. It is acessed by the little strand of beads that is in the toolbar after Sky Lab is clicked.
When you click on it, a random sky is generated. Sometimes the sky is quite lovely, or can be edited and can be saved as usual in the drop down Sky User Menu.

2 questions. Does the strand of beads have any meaning to its strand? I mean does clicking at the bottom generate a different set of specs as opposed to clicking in the middle or the top? Honestly, I've tried many times and don't see any pattern.

Each of the 'new' skies seems to be assigned a preset number already, when I go to save one I like. Is that number just generated at same time as the sky?

This is just basic sky stuff, the various sections shift in colors, and the basic cloud forms vary in amplitude and frequency, more or less haze and fog. It's fun and quite a variety of mood and atmosphere comes up with just a click.

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    I was looking at some old Robin Woods tutorials--many of them seem still very useful to me even though designed for Bryce version 5, which I still have, but a lot applies to my current version, 7.
    http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BryceTutSet.html

Been playing with the Random Sky Generator. It is acessed by the little strand of beads that is in the toolbar after Sky Lab is clicked.
    When you click on it, a random sky is generated. Sometimes the sky is quite lovely, or can be edited and can be saved as usual in the drop down Sky User Menu.

2 questions. Does the strand of beads have any meaning to its strand? I mean does clicking at the bottom generate a different set of specs as opposed to clicking in the middle or the top? Honestly, I've tried many times and don't see any pattern.

Each of the 'new' skies seems to be assigned a preset number already, when I go to save one I like. Is that number just generated at same time as the sky?

This is just basic sky stuff, the various sections shift in colors, and the basic cloud forms vary in amplitude and frequency, more or less haze and fog. It's fun and quite a variety of mood and atmosphere comes up with just a click.

So far as I know the strand of beads is the entire icon, no bead is any more significant than another And the preset number is of no particular significance either other than it is determined by the next available slot in the currently selected sky preset category.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

snip "So far as I know the strand of beads is the entire icon, no bead is any more significant than another And the preset number is of no particular significance either other than it is determined by the next available slot in the currently selected sky preset category."
    @David Brinnen:

Ah, thank you for the quick reply. I was remembering some ancient Metacreations menu where there was a similar "strand" which seemed to have options. Also, good to know that if I modify a new numbered preset, I won't be messing with the original if I forget to save as.

edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    snip "So far as I know the strand of beads is the entire icon, no bead is any more significant than another And the preset number is of no particular significance either other than it is determined by the next available slot in the currently selected sky preset category."
    @David Brinnen:

Ah, thank you for the quick reply. I was remembering some ancient Metacreations menu where there was a similar "strand" which seemed to have options. Also, good to know that if I modify a new numbered preset, I won't be messing with the original if I forget to save as.

Possibly you are thinking of one of the plug-in menus? Horo has some tips on how - if you own an earlier version of Bryce - you can shoehorn in the special "power-tools". I forget exactly the process but I bet Horo can remember! Maybe he will join in or we can track him down if you are interested?

edited December 1969

I was mis-remembering from a different program, but it was a KPT freebie that came with a different graphic appication, not Bryce after all. But it sounds very interesting if there are plug-ins. I didn't know that Bryce had any!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Yes, I think it will be the KPT (Kai's Power Tools) that David was referring to.
    They were very closely related to Bryce being developed by the same person.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,138
    edited December 1969

Kai's Power Tools came with Bryce 4. You can copy them and use them in Bryce 7.1 as well. Just copy the MetaOS folder with all files and sub-folders from Bryce 4 to Bryce 7.1. In the Image Editor, click on the down-arrow (or triangle) above the +, select a plug in folder, and there you are. Here's how I have them in Bryce 7.1. This terrain was made using the KPTs http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4798

KaisPT.jpg
    633 x 470 - 56K
    edited December 1969

That's right Dave, yes those.

And Horo has found them! Thank you. So time to dig out your old copies of Bryce 4 - I have the full version somewhere of Computer Arts Christmas edition 2004 - which was being given away as a come on to encourage folks to take up Bryce 5.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,138
    edited December 1969

Never uninstall a working software. That's why I have all versions of Bryce since 4 still installed. New versions are cool and give you new and additional options. What you don't know before you install is what got broken on the way.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Kai's Power Tools came with Bryce 4. You can copy them and use them in Bryce 7.1 as well. Just copy the MetaOS folder with all files and sub-folders from Bryce 4 to Bryce 7.1. In the Image Editor, click on the down-arrow (or triangle) above the +, select a plug in folder, and there you are. Here's how I have them in Bryce 7.1. This terrain was made using the KPTs http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4798

@Horo

WOW! Yet another wonderful thing to know about Bryce! Sadly, I did not have Bryce 4, or KPT. The old application I was remembering was on a long since dead and recyled computer, but somewhere I may have the old cd. I think it was a Windows 95 version. I have Windows 7 with an XP now.