Atomical elements

I would like atomical elements for daz studio and poser.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

Do you mean atomic elements like hydrogen, helium, and oxygen? Or protons, neutrons, and electrons? Those should be fairly easy to make with primitives.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Assuming you mean anatomical elements, apparently DAZ sells them only in the Pro bundles. You may however find something you like from other stores...

• Inkubo said:

Assuming you mean anatomical elements, apparently DAZ sells them only in the Pro bundles. You may however find something you like from other stores...

No, this is following on from an aside in another thread and she means what she wrote.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Miss Bad Wolf, I think you will have to be more specific about what you would like to see. There are many ways of representing atoms (you don't need to say elements, since if the atoms are not joined to different atoms they are automatically elements). For example a simple method is the so called "ball and stick model" (see attachment showing a hydrogen molecule H2). Or you could have so called "space filling models" (see attachment showing an ammonia molecule comprising three hydrogen atoms and one nitrogen atom. Alternatively you could go for something more complicated like the representation of a lithium atom shown by Chohole which shows 3 protons, 4 neutrons and 3 electrons.

All these models could be made using simple primitives (sphere, cylinder and torus) if you have a little time.

h2BallStick.png
    300 x 79 - 7K
    stock-photo-ammonia-molecule-ball-and-stick-and-space-filling-models-117667249.jpg
    1500 x 1327 - 246K
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited March 2017

It is not surprising that there was some confusion about what she meant. I have studied chemistry and physics in college as well as being in the US Navy's nuclear power program, and I had never heard the term. I looked it up, and atomical is an archaic variant of atomic. According to Collins online dictionary, it was most commonly used in the eighteenth century and was much rarer after 1850. Thank you for broadening my knowledge of english.

Turbosquid has models in .obj format ranging from $2 to "are you kidding?" - https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=atom You can also find other models with Google.

I suspect that your best bet would be to use a basic modelling program to create your own atoms and molecules. You may also be able to do a reasonable job with primitives in DAZ Studio.

edit: were there any specific elements or molecules you were looking for?

Post edited by Zylox on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,933

I think she was also playing on DAZ's rather silly term for human external reproductive organs that sounds like something you would construct plastic representations of elements and compounds out of in a school chemistry class.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,374
    edited March 2017

There are a lot of different ones over at Turbo: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/atom

And a free model in this set: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=59181

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited March 2017
    Zylox said:

It is not surprising that there was some confusion about what she meant. I have studied chemistry and physics in college as well as being in the US Navy's nuclear power program, and I had never heard the term. I looked it up, and atomical is an archaic variant of atomic. According to Collins online dictionary, it was most commonly used in the eighteenth century and was much rarer after 1850. Thank you for broadening my knowledge of english.

Turbosquid has models in .obj format ranging from $2 to "are you kidding?" - https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=atom You can also find other models with Google.

I suspect that your best bet would be to use a basic modelling program to create your own atoms and molecules. You may also be able to do a reasonable job with primitives in DAZ Studio.

For putting a couple of primatives together, even $2 is in the "are you kidding" range. This is surely a DIY project. (for all but the richest and laziest)

EDIT: The "sub atomic particle" models (illustrated by Chohole) may be an exception as it may indeed take a bit of time to get those looking nice, especially for the larger atomic numbers

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,765
    Zylox said:

For putting a couple of primatives together, even $2 is in the "are you kidding" range. This is surely a DIY project. (for all but the richest and laziest)

True but I have not memorized all the atom structures.

If you are using a "stick and ball" or "space filling" model of atoms, then you don't need to memorise anything. Every atom is the same; a sphere! You can colour code them and give them different sizes. There is a fairly standard colour coding system (I'm sure a little searching on the internet will find that) and the size can be proportional to the atomic number or if you want to be realistic use the actual "diameter" of atoms (check the internet).

If you mean to create the sub-atomic particle models then you will need to refer to the periodic table of the elements for atomic numbers and mass if you want to make representations of actual elements. The one shown by Chohole is lithium; 3 protons (atomic number 3), 4 neutrons (atomic mass is approx number of protons plus number of neutrons, and the number of electrons is the same as the protons (atomic number). I suggest you stick to outer electrons only unless you want to go crazy :)  In any case you don't need to remember any actual numbers... it's all there in that wonderful, beautiful description of nature known as the Periodic Table of the Elements... thank you Mendeleev, you genius!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Chohole said:

laugh

nicstt said:
    Chohole said:

laugh

For that you would need a kilo or two of Uranium-235 with maybe a dash of Plutonium 239 or 241. Good luck modelling those!cheeky

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,765
    nicstt said:
    Chohole said:

laugh

For that you would need a kilo or two of Uranium-235 with maybe a dash of Plutonium 239 or 241. Good luck modelling those!cheeky

Lol

nicstt said:
    Chohole said:

laugh

Nah, sonmebobody already did it in Chohole's favorite application: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56230/bryce-world-war-3-and-your-genetic-mutations

edited March 2017
    nicstt said:
    Chohole said:

laugh

Nah, sonmebobody already did it in Chohole's favorite application: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56230/bryce-world-war-3-and-your-genetic-mutations

oh wow.  how long did it take you to hunt that one down.    Orbital, one of the masters of Bryce.

Post edited by Chohole on

Modelling the outer casing of a bomb is one thing, making subatomic models of the elements that go into it is another entirely! Of course, I don't see why anyone would actually do that :)

edited March 2017

Modelling the outer casing of a bomb is one thing, making subatomic models of the elements that go into it is another entirely! Of course, I don't see why anyone would actually do that :)

Nah, not modeling the bomb (There are several of those around);  I meant modeling the explosion like the gif in Choholes post above. It's five posts down in the thread I linked.

Chohole said:
    nicstt said:
    Chohole said:

laugh

oh wow.  how long did it take you to hunt that one down.    Orbital, one of the masters of Bryce.

About 2 minutes with a Google search.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on