help with glass shaders

WildlyfeWildlyfe Posts: 92

I would really like to figure out how to make good renders of gems and glassware. I have "Gemologica" and "Metalized Glass Shaders". I can get good results occasionally, but only by spending a lot of time changing things, and it is hit or miss. I have used the environment sphere included with the "Metalized Glass Shaders", but I don't really want the image in the background of my renders, and it doesn't always give me the results I am looking for. I have used a number of HDRI maps too. I have looked thru the forum for help, but I am not getting any better at this.

Comments

• OskarssonOskarsson Posts: 793
    edited December 1969

Lightning and camera is something that I used to miss! Make sure you add some nice lights. The camera has several options, like shadows that the perspective view does not have.
    Bit I agree, glass is difficult to get right!

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Glass absolutely will not work properly without a 360 degree environment. Not just because of reflections but because if you leave blank spaces you get black blotches in the glass. Enough (but not to much) lighting is important as well. If your really over lighting the scene it can drown out reflections. Lastly be sure what ever you expect to be reflected by the glass is illuminated. Sometimes you need to put a spot light on wide angle just behind your camera and facing away from the scene so that what ever is out there is well lit.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

And, last but far from least, what version of DS are you running...if it is 4.0 or an early 4.5 then you are facing the raytracing bug. It was a bug in 3Delight that basically 'fixed' max raytrace depth to 2. And for good glass and gems, raytrace depth usually needs to be higher than two.

• WildlyfeWildlyfe Posts: 92
    edited December 1969

I am using 4.5, but I thought the latest version fixed the raytracing problem so maybe that is part of my problem. I have been using an environment sphere, but I haven't really done anything special the the lighting, or with the camera. The biggest problem I have is that I don't want a background showing up in my render- I would like to get the gems on there own if I can. Not sure what I want reflected in them.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As mentioned Ray Trace Depth has a lot to do with glass and Gems in renders. What are your Render settings?