Content control and updates

spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,
Since getting DS and picking up items from the holiday sales my content is getting out of control. I have been looking at some other post about getting thing under control, but still had a question or two. From what I have read so far I'm getting the impression that I can just manipulate things in windows explorer or did I misunderstand. If I installed my items with the uninstall, do I have to uninstall them and reinstall without the uninstaller to be able to manipulate them without worrying about breaking something? (hopefully that made sense.)

Concerning updates, if an item gets updated, do people who purchased that item get notified about the update or do I just have to check from time to time?

Thanks,
Stefan

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

While you *can* manipulate things via the File System, is generally discouraged. Updates, metadata, etc. will have no idea that things have been moved and will likely not function correctly.

It's much easier (IMO) to manipulate categories function in DS and organize things inside the database. This maintains their physical layout, but gives you complete "logical" layout control.

There's a DS4 Categories Crash course linked in my signature below.

• spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

Thanks adamr001. That's what I was wondering.

Your crash course guide and a post or two from szark had been the ones I was looking at (I have them bookmarked so I can find them again). At this point I just have to decide if it would be easier to uninstall and reinstall (with more control this time) or to muddle my way through the Content Manger.

On a side note, I also found a guide for creating metadata. Not sure who the author was, but it looks interesting. Very detailed.

• spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

Anybody have an answer about item updates?