Wound Makeup Artist Iray and Geografts - Yes, it DOES work with this trick!

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,933
edited March 2017 in The Commons

Okay, I bought this yesterday from Fast Grab and have found that while it works fine on a plain vanilla G3 figure, it doesn't work properly if the figure has a geografts on it, as it makes the grafted areas turn opaque white. The description is a bit misleading in that regard, as it seems to imply that the effects work fine on all skins except on the geografted parts, whereas the actuality is that if there's a geograft on ANY part of the torso, then you can't use a wound effect on any other part of the torso.  I dug around and found an old thread from 2015 http://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67427/anatomical-elements-wet-maps where a workaround for gens was described using a third party product from Renderotica, but I haven't tracked down the helper product described yet and this obviously doesn't cover any other geografted partslike wings, mertails, tails, etc., in any case.  Needless to say, given that this is apparently an issue that's been known for over two years, I'm hoping that there's a better solution out there that will also include other grafts.  (Besides the obvious render twice with and without and putting the end result through photoshop.)  Any ideas?  Or should I just return the product?     

Post edited by Cybersox on

Comments

• Ive seen this before. I believe it may have even been with SimonWM's Wet Body Iray, http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female-s-wet-body-iray . I figured out how to fix it, I think. It has to do with copying surfaces and turning on or off some elements of the geo shell. Let me mess with it for a little bit and ill see what I can find.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,933

Ive seen this before. I believe it may have even been with SimonWM's Wet Body Iray, http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female-s-wet-body-iray . I figured out how to fix it, I think. It has to do with copying surfaces and turning on or off some elements of the geo shell. Let me mess with it for a little bit and ill see what I can find.

Thanks.  I figured that there must be some way around it, but I'm still a neophyte when it comes to working with Iray textures. 

• Ok, try this. I think I got my steps right. If not let me know and ill clarify. I tested this out on SimonWM's Wet Body Iray. Sorry about the late response, the power went out for a couple hours.

1. Load your geo shell item onto your figure. Youll notice that your geo graft item turns gray.

2. Select geo shell item in scene tree.

3. Go to parameters tab and select visibility for your geo shell item.

4. Turn off the geo shell areas that have turned grey. (Probably not necessary, just part of my process).

5. Look at geo shell areas in surface tab. You will notice that they have converted to 3delight (not sure why???).

6. Shade the grey geo shell areas with iray uber shader.

7. Select the geo graft in scene tree. Select the areas that you need (one at a time?) in the surface tab. Copy those areas and paste them to the coresponding areas of the geo shell.

8. Turn geo shell areas back on (if off) in the parameter tab.

9. Now in the case of wet body iray, while the geo shell areas looked like they should (no longer grey), the geo shell wet look was still not applied. So what I did was determine what surface the geo graft was on, in my case the torso, selected the geo graft surface area that was correct, again the torso, and copied and pasted that to the surface areas that did not have the wet look. The geo graft should look correct.

That might work for you. Let me know if you have any troubles with my instructions. Im not sure how itll work with wound makeup artist but its worth a shot.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,933
    edited March 2017

Yes!  That worked!  It actually ended up being simpler than I'd hoped with the Wound Artist set.  The one catch is that if you're going to move the wounds from the default position and they cross over the place where the affected geograft sections are, you have to make the movement on the original main shell, then copy the surfaces to each of the newly created geo-shell sub-sections.  Otherwise you end up with a wound that breaks in the middle... like a really bad cut and paste in Photoshop.  Of course, what this means is that the PA and DAZ are technically wrong in saying that the product doesn't work with geo-grafts, because once you do this it works quite well, even if you're using overall body shaders like NGS2 (edit:  These have to be applied to the figure but NOT the Wound Artist overlays.)  It may not work across something like a wing or appendage for which there no existing map to copy, but for any body based geograft it seems to work quite well!

Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction!        

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • No worries.laugh Glad to hear it worked!

• Ok, try this. I think I got my steps right. If not let me know and ill clarify. I tested this out on SimonWM's Wet Body Iray. Sorry about the late response, the power went out for a couple hours.

1. Load your geo shell item onto your figure. Youll notice that your geo graft item turns gray.

2. Select geo shell item in scene tree.

3. Go to parameters tab and select visibility for your geo shell item.

4. Turn off the geo shell areas that have turned grey. (Probably not necessary, just part of my process).

5. Look at geo shell areas in surface tab. You will notice that they have converted to 3delight (not sure why???).

6. Shade the grey geo shell areas with iray uber shader.

7. Select the geo graft in scene tree. Select the areas that you need (one at a time?) in the surface tab. Copy those areas and paste them to the coresponding areas of the geo shell.

8. Turn geo shell areas back on (if off) in the parameter tab.

9. Now in the case of wet body iray, while the geo shell areas looked like they should (no longer grey), the geo shell wet look was still not applied. So what I did was determine what surface the geo graft was on, in my case the torso, selected the geo graft surface area that was correct, again the torso, and copied and pasted that to the surface areas that did not have the wet look. The geo graft should look correct.

That might work for you. Let me know if you have any troubles with my instructions. Im not sure how itll work with wound makeup artist but its worth a shot.

Hey could you make a video tut of this ? im only understanding half of this. It would be great if you can. Thanks alot.