HDRI doesn't work !

dominikFdominikF Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I'm on Carrara 8.1.1 (last Build - 32bits). I've installed it yesterday with a lot of difficulty. All problems are not solved again.

Now, another one : I can't calculate a HDRI rendering. All the scene is black or dark.
It seems that HDRI files are not recognized correctly by Carrara (bug ???).

If I use a CARRARA Example (Cornet), the HDRI works.
If I break the link with the original HDRI files (if I define another classical background color and I select again the same HDRI file than the original), the picture will be.... DARK !

:( I am fed up !

I've got crashes, HDRI doesn't work, 64bits version is not compatible with my last computers (MAC) ??? Carrara wants Admin rights on one of my Mac (serial number is asked me after each launching...) :( :( AAAAAARGH !

CARRARA 8.1.1 is a beta version ? or not !!!
Result : after 24h, none image created !

Note : I'm a very old user of CARRARA (RayDream too !). I know the use Carrara perfectly. Just a precision.

Post edited by dominikF on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Do you have the Skylight enabled in the Render room? Carrara won't calculate the HDRI unless it is. If you have objects with transparency, don't forget to put a check in the checkbox in the GI section as well as up above in the standard renderer settings.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Not all hdr will work in Carrara. They need to be "equirectangular".

If Carrara keeps asking for a serial number that sounds like an admin issue. Did you install Carrara for all users or for the one user.... I believe it's an option during installation and it makes a difference where carrara files get stored...

• dominikFdominikF Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do you have the Skylight enabled in the Render room? Carrara won't calculate the HDRI unless it is. If you have objects with transparency, don't forget to put a check in the checkbox in the GI section as well as up above in the standard renderer settings.

Yes. As I explain before, I know very well Carrara. All options are checked correctly.
    edited December 1969

HDR files are OK. I'm sure. Some ones were extracted from old Carrara versions.

If Carrara keeps asking for a serial number that sounds like an admin issue. Did you install Carrara for all users or for the one user.... I believe it's an option during installation and it makes a difference where carrara files get stored...

Hum. I think you dreamed. No All users/one user options during the installation.
    It seems another problem on any MAC under 10.7.5 :( I found some informations on the forum. Not reassuring (I've to enter command lines !!!) :( :(
  • Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

I can confirm that HDRI does work in the last 8.1 build. I've used it myself (some of DImensionTheory's stuff).

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Yes , HDRI works in Carrara.

It sounds like your images are the issue,. since it works with the included HDRI files, but doesn't work with your own.

Q: ./ did you make the HDRI's yourself ?
    Q: ./ did you download them from a free source ?

If you can link to the site where you got the HDRI's ,... or post a link to allow us to play with one of your files, then someone can check those out.

You can also use a Colour , Gradient, or an image in the Scene background slot, and as long as the "Sky light" option is enabled in the render settings, Carrara will use that Colour , Gradient, or image to provide global illumination in your scene.

The Serial / Administrator thing ... I'm not a mac user, but I seem to recall something about logging in as a "Superuser"

not sure if that helps much :)

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

dominikF said:
    HDR files are OK. I'm sure. Some ones were extracted from old Carrara versions.

Hum. I think you dreamed. No All users/one user options during the installation.
    It seems another problem on any MAC under 10.7.5 :( I found some informations on the forum. Not reassuring (I've to enter command lines !!!) :( :(

C8.1 is not supported under OSX 10.7, only through 10.6. The beta 8.5 does work with 10.7, but is, truly, a beta.

We're simply trying to help.

• krizinxgrenkrizinxgren Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I dont think its to do with carrara i use HDRI all the time and never have any issues no matter were my hdri images is stored any folder even directly from usb memory and hdri i made myself with photoshop carrara aplies it to my renders.

I dont use macs but your computer might be rejecting some of your files for now i do hope try a clean reinstallation.

edited December 1969

I found ! It's a Carrara Bug about files path.
    All my textures and HDR files are stocked into a special folder. The path contains "•" letter. Carrara doesn't like it. :(
    I think it's a conversion charset issue.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

dominikF said:
    All my textures and HDR files are stocked into a special folder. The path contains "•" letter. Carrara doesn't like it. :(

I don't think it's a bug in a strict sense. It's a file naming convention. Historically, those of us that have used Macs have had an OS that was far more liberal in terms of special characters that could be used in file names. I still remember when Apple transitioned from the non-Unix based OS 9, to Unix based OS X and the stink some people made about not being able to use colons in file names. Since Carrara is a cross platform piece of software, it would make sense that some Windows conventions are carried over to the Mac version.

If you want to avoid Browser weirdness, then don't use "." in the middle of a name (for an abbreviation as an example) for an object, shader, etc. and then save to to the browser. Carrara won't display anything in the name after the "."

edited December 1969

dominikF said:

I don't think it's a bug in a strict sense. It's a file naming convention. Historically, those of us that have used Macs have had an OS that was far more liberal in terms of special characters that could be used in file names. I still remember when Apple transitioned from the non-Unix based OS 9, to Unix based OS X and the stink some people made about not being able to use colons in file names. Since Carrara is a cross platform piece of software, it would make sense that some Windows conventions are carried over to the Mac version.

If you want to avoid Browser weirdness, then don't use "." in the middle of a name (for an abbreviation as an example) for an object, shader, etc. and then save to to the browser. Carrara won't display anything in the name after the "."

I agreed... and not. I also develop softwares and I manage that case. Other softwares too. Fortunately ! ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited December 1969

this happens with Windows too for file extensions, many of my programs will not see .jpeg files which must be renamed .jpg
    aslso .BMP instead of .bmp often fails and you cannot upload a .bmp to this forum.
    other odd things with images is png rendered even without alpha shows no carrara added background in MSpaint but does in irfanview, and sometimes not on forum preview in some browsers.