Lighting - Poser versus Daz

freecomerfreecomer Posts: 0

It sometimes happens that a very good model or construction made for Poser will do very nicely for a render in Daz, however the lights are amazingly bright.

This happened recently with a fairly old Greenpots construction, but it can happen with other models too, like DM Fantasy Models.

So far I haven't found a way to reliably adjust the "Poser" lights, so I don't know if it is:

a) Daz default lights are still working, ie don't see the poser lights as lights, so the Poser lights are in addition

b) The Poser lights are just too bright and I haven't yet found how to adjust them. Duh. ie there is a way.

c) Poser lights just don't work in Daz, ( however, some Poser lights do seem to work fine in Daz)

d) These are special Poser lights and/or light sets that don't work in Daz (I avoid these when I can).

Sometimes I can just delete all lights and start again with Daz lights, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Basically, as I am using Daz 4.5, I want to know if there is an easy or reliable way to tell which "Poser" lights will work with Daz (apart from the ones that say so on the tin) or where can I go to research into this further?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

poser lights do not convert over very well, I tend to use some of the settings when I create the DS lights for some of our sets that have both poser and DS lights but then others I just have to delete and add in DS lights instead

point lights do not convert and end up as distance lights and any special lights like HDR do not come over at all

for basic conversion I just cut the intensity in half so if its at 90% I make it 45% and I do that for all lights that should make the light set not so bright.

but you are better looking in the store for DAZ Studio lights and use them instead.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

As an alternative approach, I found I got decent results various time by converting the poser lights to DAZ lights and adjusting them. One can actually 'replace' the poser versions in their current location with DAZ ones of the type you would like. You still have to adjust intensity, color etc... but it places them. On a similar topic, Poser cameras can actually be used also, but one needs to adjust the focal length down to 35-40 often. Since they convert at a much higher focal length they often look out of position but just adjusting the focal length does the majority of it, then tweeking the position afterwards is a simple matter.

It does seem ridiculous to me that we have to adjust lighting and cameras even for DAZ products to be used in DAZ Studio because they were only set up for Poser.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    It does seem ridiculous to me that we have to adjust lighting and cameras even for DAZ products to be used in DAZ Studio because they were only set up for Poser.

It does...and one wonders why, when there is true 'DS only' content released the 'masses' yell and scream about a missing Poser version...

Personally, I think all content should be 'basic' materials. The diffuse textures only, set to 'matte', bump/displacement/normal and specular maps included, but not applied. No special shaders or nodes or anything. Let the end user do the fine tuning. And that should be, with one in each (DS, Poser, Carrara ) along with a 'clay' render and maybe one 'glam' shot (fine tuned) the extent of the promo images. That way everything and everyone starts at the same place and there's no question about 'which materials do I use'. It's simple...create your own 'tuned' set.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Hmm, don't personally see this as the answer. Would rather there were complete versions for the different platforms, laid out in an easy to find and use manner rather then the mishmash we have atm. Of course a big part of it is the bulk of the catalog was made during many different phases with many different interpretations on how best to organize things, and what to include. There has never been enough financial motivation it seems to clean up the catalog and bring the older stuff in line. Release dates on the product pages would help, but a comment section attached to products would be even more helpful. I don't see DAZ implementing that anytime soon though unfortunately.

• freecomerfreecomer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

At least I see it's not just me!

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Gedd said:

It does...and one wonders why, when there is true 'DS only' content released the 'masses' yell and scream about a missing Poser version...

I'd add something, but I'd get in trouble with the admins again :) sooo tempted :) :) :)

edited December 1969

freecomer said:
    Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

At least I see it's not just me!

I do think the big solution is to get involved on the forums and create a knowledge base on DAZ Lighting. It always helps when there are people who go in depth on a single aspect of DS and get down to as many possibilities as they can handle.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Well you already have had one person post in this thread that is fairly cognisant with lighting, both in DS and also to a certain extent in Poser. Not sure if he would have the time to do an in depth thread though, as he is studying at Uni currently, taking a BSc as a mature student, and also a PA as well as being a CV.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well you already have had one person post in this thread that is fairly cognisant with lighting, both in DS and also to a certain extent in Poser. Not sure if he would have the time to do an in depth thread though, as he is studying at Uni currently, taking a BSc as a mature student, and also a PA as well as being a CV.

Hmmm...wonder who that could be?

Not someone you know real well, now is it Cho? Someone who used to spend a lot more time here before Uni...

edited December 1969

chohole said:

as great as this is, Cho, knowledgeable people are like potato chips :)

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    chohole said:

I think that would be crisps...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    wancow said:
    chohole said:

I think that would be crisps...

In this case a chip of the old block