Bryce stuffs in Carrara the sacrilege

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
edited March 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I grabbed some cheap Bryce obp's today and exported them

I hope I loaded the correct textures, went by the numbers (converted to png as Carrara hated the bmp files)

anyway they seem to work OK, the pink roof I am not so sure about, so maybe will risk a few more in future

Bryce Buildings.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 306K
Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

edited March 2017

possibly the U wrap needs unticking and a few of the textures need to go in alpha too

bryce buildings uv u unticked.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 610K
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

I tried using a Bryce object a few years ago but the mapping did not export well. These building transferred much better than the object I was working with.

Were these buildings made so that each part has only one shading domain?

edited March 2017

well I imported them as one obj

breaking them up on import, any obj is risky so each one object with multiple domains, I had to manually add the textures

I added the Queenites castle and Shadows cottage to my stash

the first is here the second exports as many obj from a scene so may take a bit of work

update all zeroed and unscaled too so yeah

queenites.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 566K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Wendy, thanks for posting.  It's great to see that this can be done.  Of course, doing it is another matter.smiley

Any chance that you could post a step-by-step tutorial?

Many of those Bryce OBP's are awesome.  Not sacrilege at all.

well not a lot involved by me and rather hit an miss as said, the 3 I shared work, many others have issues.

I added them in the object browser window  that opens under create tab by clicking import the clicked the tick to load

selected all and exported obj

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

looks cute  smiley  more background buildings for scenes always handy

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Cool. I think the pink roof is classy and has a lot of character. laugh

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Cripeman uses the lightwave format to bring stuff from Bryce to Carrara and explains how to include the texture maps.  This is a terrain example.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Thanks for delving into this Wendy! And at these prices, I wouldn't really even mind the ones that either didn't work or demanded too much work for me... because I have a small collection of Bryce goodies for the day when I fire that thing up and play with it for the first time. I have it installed... opened it once or twice to look around... but that's it.

I admit that it (Bryce) deserves a LOT more than what I've given it - so every once in a while, I'll add a new bit to my collection for that day! LOL

I just know already that I'll love it when I do learn it. The material lab alone will keep me enthralled for years, I imagine!

But... wow... those examples are some major delicious looking kits! Fantastic!

Bryce does impressive stuff just rather slowly 

if I ever get a second PC might set it chugging on some Bryce scenes one day maybe when I retire.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

great stuff Wendy

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    Diomede said:

Cripeman uses the lightwave format to bring stuff from Bryce to Carrara and explains how to include the texture maps.  This is a terrain example.

While Cripeman's video is excellent for terrians, it is only good for terrains.  Bryce export of meshes is very different and much more limited (I discussed this in another thread)  One of the limitations is  512 normal texture size limit, another is changing a window to opaque instead of transparent (there are others but that is one example of texture changes).  This is with the normal "export" function.  The most "automatic" method I have found is export the mesh object in Bryce (OBJ format), import into Daz Studio, export to COLLDA, and finally import into Carrara. 

However, it suffers from the limitations I mentioned.  The better method I have used is to export to DFX in Bryce then go into the materials lab source editor and extract/saveout the textures.  Then go into Carrara, import the DFX, and start adding the textures.  It will take a bit, but you can have Bryce open to compare and grab any textures you missed the first time around.  Is this what you did Wendy?  Or something else?

edited March 2017

I just did boring obj export but can try that next time.

edited March 2017

This model of an imaginary Desert Temple was built in Bryce from Bryce native primitives and as such is unsuitable for any other software.

does not sound promising frown

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

ah well, worth a thought :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    th3Digit said:

This model of an imaginary Desert Temple was built in Bryce from Bryce native primitives and as such is unsuitable for any other software.

does not sound promising frown

Sounds like a challenge (for someone...)!