Hello, need some help here.

AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
edited December 1969 in New Users

One product here and one at Rendo made me bite the bullet regarding Genesis. I'll give it a try. So, I need to be pointed in the right direction for tutorials regarding installation, using my DS3A content, what has been updated to use with DS4, the sorts.

Thanks!

Comments

• FelixFFDSFelixFFDS Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

One of the things that I've liked about the transition from Daz 3 (which I haven't uninstalled) and 4.5 is, that for me, the installation and use of my previous content has been seamless.

Caveat: I am neither a power nor an experienced user of Daz/Poser, even if I have Daz 2/3/4.5 and Poser 4/6/9 installed on two machines. I have yet to have a non-PEBKAC issue in the installation and use of the content.

In Daz 4, I've loaded up not only the Genesis figures and Genesis-specific content, but have played with Posette (isn't she cute), Aiko 3, and sundry morphs, props, etc.

As for tutorials, and "how tos" this forum is essential. Your question has probably not only been asked an answered - several times - but even a casual reading of some threads produces "aha!" moments, answers to questions you haven't asked yet.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416
    edited December 1969

Installation - you need to pick the application location, the content location (you can pick an existing content folder if you like, it doesn't have to be the \DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library folder that's offered by default), and a place for the CMS to put its database.

Windows>Workspace>Select Layout, choose one of the later ones for a more DS3 approach.

Window>Style>Select Style and choose Darkside for something close to Nouveau Dark in DS3.

Using content: the Content Library pane is like the old Content pane - you can add directories simply by right-clicking on the header for the format (DAZ Studio Formats, Poser Formats etc.) then picking a folder as you did in DS3.

Shaders need updating, if you haven't, to install DS4 versions (which will recompile automatically when the 3Delight version is updated, so that should be the last time for a while you need to reset those. pwSketch and the original pwSurface do not have updates, though, nor does ahEnvironment. Sadly only a few plugins have been updated, other than the DAZ ones - none of the Dreamlight plugins have been updated..

Actual operation isn't that different - the main menus are mostly the same, though a lot of stuff has been moved to the Edit menu as well as/instead of being on pane or right-click menus. The Tool Settings pane now controls the draw style when posing, and also the annoying object highlighting with mouse-over (yes, you can switch it off thank goodness).

Customise has been moved to the Window menu.

Render Settings is now a pane only, there's no dialogue.

• AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Ah, thanks for the replies, I've figured a few things out by just playing around, :) Have to hope some things go on sale soon since I'm rather broke. That said, is there a way to know what shaders have been updated? Thanks, :D

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416
    edited December 1969

All the pw shaders except Sketch and the original pwSurface (pwSurface was updated), all the omniFreaker shaders as far as I know, and of course the ones that have been released for DS4 (Age of Armour's atmospheric cameras and the new metallic glass of course work in DS4).

• AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

So the Atmospheric cameras work for DS3 and 4? I don't have to buy them again?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

So the Atmospheric cameras work for DS3 and 4? I don't have to buy them again?

Any content you've already bought doesn't ever need to be bought again (that doesn't hold for the actual programs and some plugins, just content). If you buy an outfit that then is updated, you need to just reset your downloads to get that update. Of course if it is totally reworked and offered for an entirely new figure or something, you'll probably need to buy that version...but 'normal' updates are covered. If in doubt about something, check for updates or look in the forums (it's often easier to use Google to search the forums than the forum search) for the item, because there are often update threads.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Of course if it is totally reworked and offered for an entirely new figure or something, you'll probably need to buy that version

Note that back when D|S4 and Genesis first came out, some of the new clothes fits (ones that weren't just an update of the old item that you could reset) came out at a reduced price if you'd bought the original. That was in the old store, though, I have no idea if the new store has enough marbles to detect this now.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Of course if it is totally reworked and offered for an entirely new figure or something, you'll probably need to buy that version

Note that back when D|S4 and Genesis first came out, some of the new clothes fits (ones that weren't just an update of the old item that you could reset) came out at a reduced price if you'd bought the original. That was in the old store, though, I have no idea if the new store has enough marbles to detect this now.]

It does....but the question is, have they found the switch to turn that particular feature on...(I think that more than half the problems are 'too many' features...the Magento package is some seriously impressive stuff...but it seems like more than half of it isn't being utilized, here).