Notepad hacks

OK after Kakman shared find replace  ABoo 23 with ABoo 3 for fixing UV wrap 

and I found find replace Filt 3 with Filt 0 changed mipmap to sampling

I decided to try another hack, replacing a replicated sphere with a cube

it was actually as simple as finding the word sphere in the lines under replicator  and replacing with cube as long as both in the scene

I am not sure how easy in more complex scenes will try the people in PhilW's city next if it ever loads and saves in notepad

stay posted

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

well just doing the replicator all other scene items removed crashed notepad so PhilW's city may be a bit too much

not given up though

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    A dedicated text editor like vedit or ultraedit might perform better with larger files.
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I recently got EditPad Lite, it is free and seems to handle large files well.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    th3Digit said:

OK after Kakman shared find replace  ABoo 23 with ABoo 3 for fixing UV wrap 

and I found find replace Filt 3 with Filt 0 changed mipmap to sampling

I decided to try another hack, replacing a replicated sphere with a cube

it was actually as simple as finding the word sphere in the lines under replicator  and replacing with cube as long as both in the scene

I am not sure how easy in more complex scenes will try the people in PhilW's city next if it ever loads and saves in notepad

stay posted

Is the ABoo hack still working? I thought there was a problem with it not opening the file anymore.

oh it works just needs to be ansi encoding

mine keeps defaulting to unicode

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

OK that makes it easier.

I was looking at trying my hand at Python to crate a script to do it a bit more automatically.

So I just need to  make sure it is saves as ansi.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks for doing this Wendy

I am hoping a few others find more useful hacks yesheart

maybe even some to fix other incompatibility issues like Misty is doing with Genesis 3

I would love o solve the morph issues with many DAZ studio only products

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2017

more notepadding please smiley

just got the faveral set on steep sale.  lotsa tick u-ing to do 

Post edited by Mistara on

info on using a text editor to rearrange my content library order would be good

eg insert a content directory between two existing ones as they appear in carrara

head wax said:

eg insert a content directory between two existing ones as they appear in carrara

can't you just drag it?

apparently not, mm I have moved them around but forgot how

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

We used to use text edits to change entire textures on characters in Neverwinter Nights. Someone made a wonderful app that would do the find/replace for us, since we were always looking for the same things, replacing with names we made ourselves, so we'd tell the app what to find, then replace with _____________ and hit Go!

I loved it! It could even do batches of files! ;)

used to make me loco, couldn't why things weren't showing alaphabetical order.
    turned out was the infos.txt has the file order in our tabs.  
    doesn't seem to list folders though.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    head wax said:

For Windows, the file to be edited is Preferences.txt (Users\User Name\Appdata\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5).

I edit this file quite frequently to rearrange the order of my content (both drag and drop as well as inserting new ones).

Each Content Library section begins with AFol and ends with ShHd0.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    kakman said:
    head wax said:

Each Content Library section begins with AFol and ends with ShHd0.

JFYI ShHd 0 can also be ShHd 1

that's the show hidden folders option yes

thanks @Kakman et @Stezza,

I think last time I went looking for it it was hidden.

Must check again - thanks for the location too

Hi I posted this question here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/156256/carrara-8-5-questions#latest

I wondered if a notepad hack would do it.

I'm finding Genesis renders slower than gen 4 figures.

Any way of making Genesis actors default rendering smoothness a 1 as opposed to a 2?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Could you load a genesis character, change the rendering smoothness, and then save to the Carrara browser?  It might then load with the correct default smoothness.  I think you would only have the geesis morphs at the time you saved the file.  Any new morph packs or character sets that you acquire after that would not load with the genesis saved to your carrara browser.  I think.  Not sure.  Note - it takes a long time to save a genesis charatcer to the Carrara browser.  Something to do with external files or internal files or....

thanks Diomede, that's a good idea!

edited March 2017
    Diomede said:

Could you load a genesis character, change the rendering smoothness, and then save to the Carrara browser?  It might then load with the correct default smoothness.  I think you would only have the geesis morphs at the time you saved the file.  Any new morph packs or character sets that you acquire after that would not load with the genesis saved to your carrara browser.  I think.  Not sure.  Note - it takes a long time to save a genesis charatcer to the Carrara browser.  Something to do with external files or internal files or....

Yes, that is correct. I think probably that once loaded, Carrara loads all the morphs too, so when it saves a Genesis figure, it also saves all the morphs that were there when loaded. So it becomes independent of your Genesis content, so it will not contain morphs and figure shapes that were added after the save. Also, the more morphs you have, the longer it will take to save each time and the more space it will take up.

Carrara basically saves all the mesh details in your scene each time you save, the only aspect of the scene which makes external references are texture maps.  That is why DUF is a faster and smaller save, as it makes external references to the meshes, morphs shapes, etc

Post edited by PhilW on

Aha, thanks for explaining that PhilW.

So I have been using Genesis and 8.5 for a few days - I was wondering how all the morphs were getting int o Genesis without being applied.

So every time I load up Genesis it will also add all the morphs I have that it can find?

Is there anyway of removing what I don't need?

thanks again

cheers

no easy way

thats why I try to save them as scene subsets in D|S to load into my Carrara scene

just save the NLA clips and shadertree balls of my modified shaders in Carrara

th3Digit said:

no easy way

thats why I try to save them as scene subsets in D|S to load into my Carrara scene

just save the NLA clips and shadertree balls of my modified shaders in Carrara

thanks Wendy , I am babe in the woods here :)

one workaround for geografts for creature legs and anatomicals, prevent mesh cutouts and uvs psychedelics
    in the dsf file is a section called grafts, delete that section, turns the geograft into conforming clothes.

doesnt help for the wingless dragon 3 i'm afraid

th3Digit said:

oh it works just needs to be ansi encoding

mine keeps defaulting to unicode

safety tip  to remember!

kwduwraptick
    lwdmipmapstosample

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    PhilW said:
    Diomede said:

Yes, that is correct. I think probably that once loaded, Carrara loads all the morphs too, so when it saves a Genesis figure, it also saves all the morphs that were there when loaded. So it becomes independent of your Genesis content, so it will not contain morphs and figure shapes that were added after the save. Also, the more morphs you have, the longer it will take to save each time and the more space it will take up.

Carrara basically saves all the mesh details in your scene each time you save, the only aspect of the scene which makes external references are texture maps.  That is why DUF is a faster and smaller save, as it makes external references to the meshes, morphs shapes, etc

It would be darned nice if they'd give us (even a limited level of) DUF save capability in Carrara, so we could save DUF changes as Studio does.

PhilW said:
    Diomede said:

It would be darned nice if they'd give us (even a limited level of) DUF save capability in Carrara, so we could save DUF changes as Studio does.

that would require a developer to look at Carrara cheeky

PhilW said:
    Diomede said:

Very true - but don't hold your breath!

i saved aiko3 to .car file.

can't find where the morph deltas are in the file?

anatomy of a .car file

kwdMorphDeltas