Can the Carrara Pro 8/8.5 modeler do everything the Hexagon 2.5 modeler can do?

Curved DesignCurved Design Posts: 61
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am new here. This might seem like a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway.

Does the Carrara Pro modeler support ngons?

Thanks,

Marcus

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited January 2013

Ugh, I had used the forum text box and made a long reply, but it "timed out" and got erased.

By far the biggest advantage Carrara has over Hexagon is the "Go-Z" plug-in to Zbrush. With Go-Z one has access to one the world's best modeling, painting and creative application.

Anyway, I had written more, but I'm sure others will reply.

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

all the Hexagon users who use Carrara assure us Hex does heaps more, I will take their word for it %-P
    and yes Carrara supports ngons, infact until I knew to triagulate them I wondered why bits of my simple models exportedas obj did not show up in other apps.
    if I am only using something I made in Carrara, I often do not triagulate the ngons.

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I'm still a neophyte modeler so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I like the way Hexagon works with vertex and spline modeling. It seems to have more tools and functions that Carrara does. I personally like using the numeric interface for setting things up, and that's easier in Hexagon.

The spline and vertex models in Hexagon are more integrated with each other. In Carrara, they're two entirely different rooms although some of what would be considered a spline in Hexagon appears to be the polyline in the vertex room of Carrara. The way Carrara does envelopes around the spine and how it starts off with a single line is just not intuitive to me.

BUT.

There's a lot more to Carrara's modeling system than just the vertex and spline modeler. You've got terrrains, clouds, emitters, hair, and all these other things that Hexagon does not have.

Ultimately, I moved away from Hexagon and started looking for another modeling program because of the way it does UV Maps. It might be because I'm a neophyte and just couldn't figure it out, but Carrara's UV Maps are much easier to figure out and work with than Hexagon's.

With all that said, there's no reason why you can't use both. I've been thinking of modeling the basic objects in Hexagon and then bringing them over to Carrara for UV Mapping and texturing.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Curved Design

Hexagon is still free as fas as i'm aware,. so,.. you can download it and play with it to see how it "feels" for you,
    Carrara has a Trial/Demo (PRO) version,.. available to anyone for 30 days, so... you can download that and play with it too.

Hexagon is a vertex modeller and uses "dynamic geometry", which means that some components can be adjusted while it's still dynamic.

It has some functions which Carrara's vertex modeller does not have, but in the same way, Carrara has more functions and is integrated into the working program, which saves you jumping in and out and dealing with import/export.

Carrara has three different modellers,.
    Vertex, Spline, and meta-ball,. ..Models from the spline and meta-ball modellers can be converted into Vertex models.

Some users will say hexagon is better / easier,. and some users will say the opposite,..

it's ultimately up to you to decide which one fit's you better.

Personally,. I use Carrara's modellers all the time, and although I have Hexagon,. and I've used it,. I find it clunky and crash prone,.. (my personal experience / opinion)

I've never had to stop modelling in Carrara, because of a lack of tools or lack of functions in the modeller,.

Yes,.. Carrara supports N-gons. but it's not good practice to model, using n-gon's, as you can end up leaving N-gon's or tri's mixed with quads.

Hope it helps :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,344
    edited December 1969

Hexagon is not free, though it is very cheap http://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-2-5-download-version/

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard :)

My bad,... I've been AWOL, so I'm catching up ......slooowly

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited January 2013

Hexagon is on sale again for $19.95 : http://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-2-5-download-version Bryce 7 Pro is no longer free either. I don;t remember seeing an announcement about it, but someone pointed it out on another forum.

EDIT:
    Richard is too quick for me :)

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Curved DesignCurved Design Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your info about the modelers in Carrara Pro 8/8.5 and Hexagon 2.5!

I have Carrara Pro 8 actually since I an new I am learning (PhilW's Tutorial) with the Carrara 8.5 beta and because of Genesis and I never installed Carrara Pro 8. I don't even have Victoria 4 (V4) because I like the benefits of Genesis.

Is Hexagon compatible at all with any of the Genesis characters?

This post ( http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3326624 ) says it does but deciphering what is and is not true seems to be kind of a riddle when it comes to the DAZ products.

Thanks again,

Marcus

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your info about the modelers in Carrara Pro 8/8.5 and Hexagon 2.5!

I have Carrara Pro 8 actually since I an new I am learning (PhilW's Tutorial) with the Carrara 8.5 beta and because of Genesis and I never installed Carrara Pro 8. I don't even have Victoria 4 (V4) because I like the benefits of Genesis.

Is Hexagon compatible at all with any of the Genesis characters?

This post ( http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3326624 ) says it does but deciphering what is and is not true seems to be kind of a riddle when it comes to the DAZ products.

Thanks again,

Marcus

Hexagon is strictly a modeling program. As far as I know there is no rigging of any type that it supports. You may be able to open the geometry for a Genesis figure if it's an .obj file, which could be useful if you want to use it as a template to model clothes or props.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The other really useful thing that Hexagon has, is the Bridge to DAZ Studio. You can load the Genesis figure in DS4.5, select it in the Scene pane, and send it directly to Hexagon using the File > Send to Hexagon option. Once inside Hex, you can alter the base model to what you want, then send it back to DAZ Studio again using the Bridge.

If you have made changes to the mesh (without removing or adding vertices), then Morph Loader Pro will pop up and you can tell it to create a morph for you. Very painless.

• edited December 1969

I am new here. This might seem like a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway.

Does the Carrara Pro modeler support ngons?

Thanks,

Marcus

Marcus with out question one of carrara's weakness attribute is its vertex modeler. HEX is by far a way far more super and advanced but yet simple to use vertex molder AND HEX can save and export in Carrara format.

Everyone I know on here that once uses HEX never use carraras Vertex room to do anything else but tweaking, fine tuning and other minor work

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited January 2013

Hmmm. This is not exactly true , I have used Hexagon from Version 1 and I prefer Carrara's VM room . I can model in both but prefer Carrara for whatever reason, not knocking Hexagon just saying Carrara is capable. I do alot of architectural modeling and the ngons in carrara is nice .:-)

Everyone I know on here that once uses HEX never use carraras Vertex room to do anything else but tweaking, fine tuning and other minor work
    Post edited by mmoir on
  • 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes --i have to say also that there are things that are nicer in hex , but there are things that are quicker staying in the VM modeler . Now there are a couple of things in HEX i wish were in the VM modeler for sure. and a shame Daz has both of these and does little to improve either.

• musicaz_e77234656cmusicaz_e77234656c Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

i am having problems learning carrara 8.5 for modelling , is it true that i might find hexagon easier to learn modelling as a complete noob

edited December 1969

Maybe you could let us know what you're having problems with?

edited December 1969

its just i am a noob to modelling yet i have had modelling programs for a long time . I have had trouble teaching myself , etc . Somewhere i was told that hexagon is a good program to start learning modelling ,, i guess i am just looking for a thumbs up or advice , etc . I am sure once i get grounded in one modelling program the door will open for me to use others. Its just i get confused fast i guess

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

jaikez said:
    its just i am a noob to modelling yet i have had modelling programs for a long time . I have had trouble teaching myself , etc . Somewhere i was told that hexagon is a good program to start learning modelling ,, i guess i am just looking for a thumbs up or advice , etc . I am sure once i get grounded in one modelling program the door will open for me to use others. Its just i get confused fast i guess

The tools in Carrara are quite similar to the ones in Hexagon in function. It's the interface that is different and some prefer Hexagon for that reason ( although Hexagon can crash without warning).

Not sure what happened to all of Cripeman's tutorials, as he had a lot on modeling video tutorials.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

just about any vertex modeling program can make just about any vertex model because a model is ultimately just a collection of points in 3d space. So, the difference in programs comes down to the collection of tools and the ease of the interface. Hexagon has a few vertex modeling tools that Carrara does not. Carrara has a couple modeling specialties (like plants) that hexagon does not. Hexagon has a bridge to Daz Studio that Carrara does not. Carrara has some content tools (like vertex modeling in animation mode) that Hexagon does not. The interfaces are similar.

Among forum regulars, the general consensus seems to be that for independent object creation, Hexagon is the superior vertex modeler, but that it is sometimes unstable. Naturally, since this is the Carrara forum and not the Hex forum, there are a few people like me that are more comfortable using Carrara's vertex modeler than Hex. I have yet to come across an example of a mechanical or organic object that I felt I would have difficulty modeling and using within Carrara, but I have been trying to learn Hex because others keep telling me how superior it is. So far, for me, Hex has a few extra tools, but none are a big deal to me. I know that others see it differently.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited January 2015

Most 3D modelling software has basically the same modelling features. So it's more important to first learn the basics of modelling, and at the same time try out different software to see what fits your style. Most software has trial versions, but if you can learn the basics first you'll better understand what you need. Unless you're gonna so some real fancy stuff, like super detailed sculpting, you can probably use just about anything. It all depends on what works best for you.

I've been doing 3D for many years, and personally I like Hex the best for what I do. I despised Lightwave's modeller and UV mapping, for example. So it all depends on you...what your style is and what you want to do.

EDIT: Yeah, what diomede said... :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

You could model anything you like in Carrara.
    Hex seems much more powerful - after a few hour play.
    Powerful is something not good for a new p erson.

Anim8or has sent a lot of modellers off on their careers.
    It's a stepping stone.

easy to learn.

http://www.anim8or.com/

edited December 1969

THE people on this forum are excellent and thankyou people for giving me such great answers to my question ! ! !

edited December 1969

Don't forget to ask for help if you need it. I would also take a peek at some of the WIP threads from our past Carrara challenges as there are questions, answers, examples and mini tutorials for many of Carrara's modeling rooms.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45254/