A plane should behind a light , unexpectedly its shut out the light

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I craet a plane which i put it behind a light
But unexpectedly its block me lighting
image1 is a plane behind a light
image2 is the render
image3 is i delete the plane
image4 is the render

what is this problem how can i fix them?

appreciate

04.jpg
1440 x 900 - 196K
03.jpg
1440 x 900 - 215K
02.jpg
1440 x 900 - 195K
01.jpg
1440 x 900 - 213K

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

b9502032 said:
    image2 is the render
    image4 is the render

appreciate

that looks like a distant light, they work like the Sun does. for this type of light the Object for it is not the point of origin of the light, but just to show what direction the light is coming from.

• edited January 2013

Rareth said:
    b9502032 said:
    image2 is the render
    image4 is the render

appreciate

that looks like a distant light, they work like the Sun does. for this type of light the Object for it is not the point of origin of the light, but just to show what direction the light is coming from.

So the only way to solve this problem just dont use the distant light ,right?
    because distant light is simulating a sun light that what direction it comin,right?

sorry my grammar is poor so that my realize about ur advise,if wrong please correcting me

Post edited by b9502032_f6fbea2931 on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

That is correct.

As Rareth syas, the arrows only indicate the direction that the light is coming from, but it is supposed to imitate the Sun, and it is millions of miles away, so it doesn't matter where you place it in the scene, just the direction of the arrows matters.

What you are doing would work with a Spot or Point light, but NOT with a Distant Light.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

b9502032 said:
    Rareth said:
    b9502032 said:
    image2 is the render
    image4 is the render

appreciate

So the only way to solve this problem just dont use the distant light ,right?
    because distant light is simulating a sun light that what direction it comin,right?

you are correct, you need to use a different light.
    sorry my grammar is poor so that my realize about ur advise,if wrong please correcting me

• edited December 1969

learning about this
    thank you!

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited January 2013

oopsey... I misread the first post, and said something stooopid! Ignore me, I am not coherent today.

Post edited by wancow on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Out of interest, what is the plane for if not to block the light? If you need it for translucency (see-through) you can do that without it blocking the light, by using the UberSurface shaders.

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

I'm curious as well on why have the plane, except to block the light?

But to answer the question. If you don't want the plane to be seen by the light and cast shadows, select it in the scene tab and then in the parameters tab turn "Cast Shadows" off - now the light will pass through it.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,406
    edited December 1969

A distant light shines from an infinite point in the distance at the angle the arrows indicate (like the sun would) . You can use DS to create a spotlight at the same point to replace the distance light and then the light will behave as you describe you want. A spot light shines in one direction from its placement point, though should note, you can adjust the spread angle.

• edited December 1969

cipher_X said:

But to answer the question. If you don't want the plane to be seen by the light and cast shadows, select it in the scene tab and then in the parameters tab turn "Cast Shadows" off - now the light will pass through it.

because i wnat use uber area light plane and another light to cast shadow

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

b9502032 said:
    cipher_X said:

because i wnat use uber area light plane and another light to cast shadow

So the plane you have in the scene is an UberArea Light? If that is the case you can make it invisible by setting the opacity to 0% in the surface tab for the area light. It will still cast light but it won't block out your distant light.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2013

If it's a light source, then you can probably just move it back a little anyway. You shouldn't need much movement to keep the scene as it was and make your light source shine through.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on