V4 looking odd after Daz Studio .duf scene import

While I usually "build" my characters in Carrara, I had one scene I made a while ago in Studio and tried to drop it into Carrara as a "short cut".  It worked except for V4.  Most of her morphs were unset, and there are bands around her upper knees and hips making her look like a robot.  I have ran into this before but forgot about it until today lol.

Anyone else ever run into this?  Is there a fix?  I am guessing I should just build her in Carrara (V4+morphs+pose+skin+clothes) but I thought I would double check first as a fix would be very handy..

Comments

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270

I take it no one has ever seen this?  Or doesn't know a way to fix it?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

no idea sorry and yeah avoid importing native Poser content from D|S as a scene as can be flakey.

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270

Well after doing more research, I tracked down the problem. First off this is what I was seeing:

But after looking at it awhile it struck me that it might be a morphs problem.  So I tried loading V4 into Daz Studio WITHOUT any morphs applied via Powerloader saved as a scene (.duf format) then opened in Carrara.  And what do you know, it worked!  So a bit more testing I found out that it was the Stephanie 4 morphs.  But if I turn that off and load all the other morphs via Powerloader  (in my case Aged for V4, The Girl 4, Aiko 4, V4.2 Base morphs, V4 morphs ++, V4 Elite, V4 Muscle Morphs), save the scene as .DUF, then load that .DUF into Carrara.  No problem at all. 

A easy way to fix this is to remove the Stephanie 4 morphs before you save the DUF scene (that is if you load it by default and aren't using those morphs currently) before you open it in Carrara.  I know many people advise loading direct, but I was doing comparison renders (Studio vs Carrara) and it saved a lot of time to be able to load the DUF scene directly.

I reported this to DAZ as a bug.  And they agreed and passed it on.  However, part of the response was : "Unfortunately, since Carrara isn't being updated at the moment, we can't guarantee when this will be updated but our Dev's will look at a fix for this bug"  Which is a bit dishearting as I thought they were working on a adding Genesis 3, among other fixes.  In the past, they have added figures to allow the Carrara community to use them.  Doesn't look like they are with Genesis 3.  Of course I don't really care since I don't have much interest in Genesis 3 as I have too much invested in V4, Genesis 1, and 2.  But I had hoped with the adding of Genesis 3 we might get a new feature and a few bug fixes in addition.

v4 in carrra via DUF with steph morphs.jpg
    1600 x 864 - 222K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Ouch.

But no suprise, at least to me.

I reported this to DAZ as a bug.  And they agreed and passed it on.  However, part of the response was : "Unfortunately, since Carrara isn't being updated at the moment...., we can't guarantee when this will be updated but our Dev's will look at a fix for this bug" 

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited April 2017

I would say that is a pretty clear message ;) "sorry folks, we are not doing anything more on that old thing"

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I hope it's not just Bruised Pride since we now can use Genesis 3 in Carrara thanks to Misty.

I would like to think they want to sell their models to Carrara users too and attract more than the load and pose in Studio crowd as Carrara is a full featured software suite with terrains, particles, physics and stuffs!

• I hope it's not just Bruised Pride since we now can use Genesis 3 in Carrara thanks to Misty.

I would like to think they want to sell their models to Carrara users too and attract more than the load and pose in Studio crowd as Carrara is a full featured software suite with terrains, particles, physics and stuffs!

You mean all eight of us?

• I've had this a while ago using V4 but the issue was that none of the morphs was loaded, sometimes just the half of the morphs was loaded, didn't checked if reloading the morphs in carrara would help anything but i created the same character again in Carrara and that was it for me :)
    Now i only use Carrara, before that i still used Daz for setting up a scene but thanks to the great compability from Daz to Carrara now, i don't really use Daz.
    It also seems that the newest Daz Studio causes some troubles, while loading figures from Daz to Carrara that was 100% working in Carrara after setting them in DS, i get some errors.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the only benefit of importing v4 to ds and then carrara is converting her to subdivision.

though i think carrara should be able to convert her to subdivision natively, don't kno w how tho.

• Mystarra said:

the only benefit of importing v4 to ds and then carrara is converting her to subdivision.

though i think carrara should be able to convert her to subdivision natively, don't kno w how tho.

in vertex room on model select and add smoothing bottom right window do not convert can slide up render parameter in vertex and ass room

• Subdividing the figure can cause issues with the compabilitie to some things like morphs, textures, dynamic hair

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I've had this a while ago using V4 but the issue was that none of the morphs was loaded, sometimes just the half of the morphs was loaded, didn't checked if reloading the morphs in carrara would help anything but i created the same character again in Carrara and that was it for me :)
    Now i only use Carrara, before that i still used Daz for setting up a scene but thanks to the great compability from Daz to Carrara now, i don't really use Daz.
    It also seems that the newest Daz Studio causes some troubles, while loading figures from Daz to Carrara that was 100% working in Carrara after setting them in DS, i get some errors.

this is interesting and, i suppose, expected as DS moves away from us. Do you know what the last DS version that did not do this was? 4.9 or 4.10?

Tnx,

--ms

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    Mystarra said:

With V4 in the scene selected, click the Edit menu, at the bottom Smooth Objects... then select Change Smoothing

Smoothing Optios.JPG
    458 x 441 - 39K