Carrara 8 complete uninstall

Carrara 8 is running really slow, so I keep trying to unstall it and reinstall, but it doesn't ask for my serial and the same moving really slow problem persists. Is there a way to get rid of it all?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Uninstall doesn't remove the preferences file, which retains your S/N. But it's likely something other than Carrara that's making it run slowly if a reinstall didn't fix it.

At any rate, to erase your preferences and all of that you'll need to set your folder options to view hidden folders. The go to C > Users > YourUserName > AppData > Roaming > Daz3d

I also use a nice program called "CCleaner" to remove any residual crap (hence the name: Crap Cleaner) left behind - even in the registry

But in a situation where Carrara is running slowly, I'd run CCleaner before even uninstalling Carrara. But if you do want a complete wipe of Carrara, Uninstall it first, then go to Program Files > Daz3d and delete the Carrara xxx folder (xxx being the version number you're uninstalling) Important: This will also get rid of any addon products including plugins - so either keep those saved outside the folder before deleting it (uninstall doesn't remove add-ons - only what was installed when installing the original software) 

Then go to the above-mentioned AppData folder and, inside the Daz3d folder, delete the whole Carrara folder.

Now run CCleaner. It will wipe the recycle bin and any temp files. Deselect anything (like cookies, internet history, etc.,) that you don't want deleted in the process. Then, in CCleaner, go to the Registry tab and Scan for issues. Removing any program will leave a LOT of crap that builds and builds and eventually drags your system down to a halt.

Clicking on things on the internet is a MAJOR culprit for slowing a computer over time if not constantly maintained. Also, just having the internet browser running while working on anything else can also chew up the RAM and make stuff run slowly.

So if your machine is not performing well, also try a good anti-MalWare App, like SpyBot. Run it. Let it get rid of junk!

Speaking of internet, AntiVirus software can also slow down your programs if it's not told to leave certain things alone. Like Carrara for example, if your AntiVirus is constantly scanning everything you bring in and/or any changes it makes to your system, you're in for a long day. I always set my AV to just leave Carrara alone, but in return, I'm prudent to make sure I only install things directly to Carrara that I know is safe.

I hope this all helps, because keeping a machine healthy is good practice no matter what you're doing with it.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

+1 what the Dart says...................

and also check out how much hard drive space is left, also maybe change in preferences where Carrara's temp folder is and also maybe try selecting Spool texture on disk which is in the same place as selecting the temp folder in Preferences, also maybe delete any stuff that's in Carrara's temp directory ( it may be to full )

• Carrara is only program that runs slow. I'm not sure what's wrong.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

have you checked the temp folder usually in

C:\Documents\DAZ 3D\DazTmp

(unless like me set differently in prefferences)

it fills up will crap from Carrara ( and Bryce and D|S) quite frequently and can slow it right down

you can safely delete anything in it

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

latest video drivers installed?

• UncleZeeUncleZee Posts: 20

Running slow for me too. Seems to have happened after last weeks Windows10 update.

• It runs perfectly in safe mode though. So, I'm not sure what that means. An update in drivers didn't help.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

That update last week crashed my whole system and I am just getting it reloaded from scratch new install of Windows 10

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

can you roll back?