FBM to PBM - Is There a Way?

dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

A lot of products come with full body morphs (that also change the head) and a separate head morph.

What I'm wondering about is if how one goes about creating such options without painstakingly recreating the head morph vertex by vertex, or making the head morph first and then building the custom body around it?

I suspect there must be a way to either lock vertices when applying a morph in some program or something, but I clearly don't know what that is and I'm dreading making a cool full body morph in 3D-coat or something only to trip over myself at the separate head morph stage ^^;

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2013

dan.shive said:
    A lot of products come with full body morphs (that also change the head) and a separate head morph.

What I'm wondering about is if how one goes about creating such options without painstakingly recreating the head morph vertex by vertex, or making the head morph first and then building the custom body around it?

I suspect there must be a way to either lock vertices when applying a morph in some program or something, but I clearly don't know what that is and I'm dreading making a cool full body morph in 3D-coat or something only to trip over myself at the separate head morph stage ^^;

That's what I've been doing in Blender, lately...set up the base Genesis, add a couple of shape keys, make the head morph on one, then dial up the next one...do the body morph. With both dialed it's the complete morph...that ends up as the FBM. The other ends up as just the head morph (quick explanation).

There's probably other ways to do it...including ways of splitting them up, after the fact. But that's what's working for me...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Many modellers can apply a morph to only selected vertices, so splitting an FBM isn't necessarily that hard (depending on how much tidying up is needed at the join).

edited December 1969

Many modellers can apply a morph to only selected vertices, so splitting an FBM isn't necessarily that hard (depending on how much tidying up is needed at the join).

Yeah, but it's just easier to plan for it and start that way, at the beginning...

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do any in particular spring to mind? I suspect it's not doable via Hexagon, but it would be lovely to be wrong about that.
    edited December 1969

dan.shive said:

Do any in particular spring to mind? I suspect it's not doable via Hexagon, but it would be lovely to be wrong about that.

Most of them that have morph targets/shape keys...some are easier than others.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

I think Blender now does it quite well, and both Lightwave and modo have excellent morph tools (some of the tools in LW were originally written at DAZ, and were purchased by NewTek).

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

you can do it almost same thing in hexagon. but you need more step.
    and you need to adjust joint area by your self . but it need if you use Blender or modo i think.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14109/

Blender can do it more simple step. but first need to serch how to use shape key.
    even though You understand about usage of shape key,, it is another problem how you spilit or transfer
    selected vertices from full body , and set it as new shape key of zero genesis shape.

I know there are some tutorials about shape key of Blender already.
    But most of them just tell you , how to set edited shape in blender as new shape key of the obj.
    or animation by shape key slider.

they do not show clearly how to transfer part of vertices as new shape key.
    if you hope to use Blender, I may tell you.

but I just start learn blender few month ago,, , so it seems better,
    Real Blender user show you detail.

(yes U could by these tool Because I could , seems not many help without clear guide about tools ^^;)

edited December 1969

I show my way to memorize for me.
    I may forget one month after, so may need when I use blender for spilit morph.:P

=======================================================

1. this time I challenge "Rilley Head morph" by blender shape key.

load genesis set Resolution level base, or subdivision level zero.
    (must need you know when make morph)

then export(save) it as genesis_zero.obj in your work floda.

(if someone need setting,,I stick the pic to check it easy. there seems many setting,
    but I do not care, it work for me good.

keep the genesis loading, then apply rilley.duf character preset.
    (If it product has Head morph? I do not know,,)

Rilley morph (or stephanie) change scale , so must need adjust scale 100% manually.
    and set set Resolution level " base", or subdivision level zero.
    then export the Rilley shape genesis (100%scale) I named it "FBMRilley.obj"

=====================================================
    2 improt genesis_zero.obj (check pic if need setting)

in object mode, select genesis_obj then go to right side property editor pane.
    click object data icon. top of property editor,
    you may find "shape key" section.
    simply click "+" it auto add "base" key. it is base shape(zero shape)

3 click A key to deselect genesis, then import Riley_100scale .obj to the scene.
    now genesis cross with Rilley shape, so just drug Rilley to right or left side to see clear.

I set Rilley_100 scale shape as genesis new shape key.

Select Rilley_100 by R-click, then, shift+R-click genesis.
    then click reverse triangle (under "-" icon) then select," join as shape"

there is new shape key "Rilley" for genesis.
    you can change name of the key,, may set "FBMRilley_100" etc.

you must hope to test it,, so first check off "pin mark" if it is on.
    then click Rilley shape key in shape key section, move slider as you want.
    or " on " pin mark , then check how it change.

you find it work, then just set parameter to "0" on Rilley key,
    then click on "pin" icon. it may freeze the key shape as Rilley.(though parameter value "0")

you need same thing on "base" key too.click on "pin" icon.
    after that, you can check when you select the key, genesis shape change.

now you need not Rilley_100.obj any more, so if you hope to delete Rilley.obj just delete it. from blender scene.

joinnewshapes.JPG
    868 x 542 - 91K
    shapekey1.JPG
    948 x 561 - 90K
    impor_tojBlnder.JPG
    528 x 446 - 49K
    exportsetforblender.JPG
    842 x 741 - 113K
    edited January 2013

4 I need one more key for genesis. so first make the key only.
    select "base" key, then click "+" as same as you did first set base key.

then name it as PBMRilleyface" etc but you know it is just copy of base key.

5 Now we need to use edit mode.
    need to work on new PBMRilleyface key.
    not base, or not Rilley key.

must select the "PBMRilleyface" key, in shape keys section.
    then go to edit mode, (short cutt "tab" key)

now all vertices may selected so, short cut "A" to deselect all.

6 need to select vertices where you want to translfer from Rilleyshape.
    on this case, I said, make face,, so select face.

(there is many way,, but I simply use "B" and select vertices rectangle by which I hope.

then I change property to material in property pane,
    select "Skineck" first, then deselect ".Skinneck" you may need not,,Blender simply can copy the vertices,
    not need reimport or import or make stop over morph (as Hexagon need)
    but I hope not to change Skinneck area. and it may select symmetly vertexes so I did.

Take care,, "you never select Rilley shape head vertices. You need to select vertices on the "PBMRilleyface" key
    I will copy and paste Rilley key current vertices. so now you must select genesis zero shape head vertices.
    on "PBMRilleyface" key.

7 with keep selection of vertices,,use short cut "W" then select Blend from shape.
    if you do not like short cut,,

go to 3d view header (but default it locate under the 3d view ^^; blender header,, I call)
    mesh>vertices>Blend from shape..

then small window must open.
    you need to select the key which you want to translfer,
    of course we need "FBMRilley" key, and value "1.00"

congratulation. you translfer Rilley head vertices to the new key.
    so if you select the new key, genesis head only change to Rilley

8 lets exprot the obj to daz studio by morph loader.

so first change mode to object mode. by "tab"
    then must select "PHMRilley" key , export it as obj.

if you need , see my setting. if you set wrong often cause problem, when you make morph.

===================
    may need change morph loader pro setting. just change scale =10000%, (exprot 1% from daz, so import 10000%)
    it works for me.

FHMrilley.JPG
    1049 x 511 - 99K
    morphloaderpro.JPG
    734 x 514 - 74K
    exportfromblender.JPG
    338 x 501 - 37K
    BlendShape.JPG
    911 x 621 - 141K
    selectFaces.JPG
    920 x 575 - 137K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on