Help with GenX?

AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
edited January 2013 in New Users

Or just help with GenX. I want to transfer my Gen4 characters to Genesis and while I managed to figure out how to transfer morphs, it is a pain to dial every individual one in Genesis to get my Gen4 character. Is there a way to make it a one-dial thing? I saw somewhere that a way to do it was export the morphed M4 as an obj, then load it as a morph for M4 with Morph Loader, but I just can't figure that one out for the life of me. Help?

Post edited by AngelusPrime on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,254
    edited December 1969

I thought GenX would generate a pose to set the transferred morphs to the same values as the original V4 or whatever character? I don't have the plugin so I can't be more specific.

• AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Well, I figured out morph loader. It was just being a little *&%^ in the beginning, but it works now. Now my question is, how exact *is* GenX? I mean, I transferred an M4 loaded with just a dial for my specific character and it still doesn't look the same. I know due to poly count it really won't look exactly the same, but I can very well tell the difference between M4 and an M4 shaped Genesis with my GenX-ed morph....

• edited December 1969

Did you also dial your M4 shape for Genesis up to 100%? It's designed to use your custom shape plus the M4 shape (or V4, depending on your character) to complete the whole effect.

edited December 1969

Yeah, dialed M4 as well. The genesis version basically looks like my character's younger brother, which I already have an actual M4 version as well, sooooo, heh. But I guess I go back to my question. How *exact* is GenX? Should I expect a different look either way between genesis and Gen4 characters? And can shapes/morphs be removed from genesis after they've been applied to the pool?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,254
    edited December 1969

To remove a morph you need to delete (or just move) its file from \Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs - I think the GenX conversions will be in a folder called GenX, at least by default.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Or just help with GenX. I want to transfer my Gen4 characters to Genesis and while I managed to figure out how to transfer morphs, it is a pain to dial every individual one in Genesis to get my Gen4 character. Is there a way to make it a one-dial thing? I saw somewhere that a way to do it was export the morphed M4 as an obj, then load it as a morph for M4 with Morph Loader, but I just can't figure that one out for the life of me. Help?

Yes, you can make it a single dial for your character morph, although, it will actually be two. One for V4 or M4, and one for your character.

Load M4 into Generation X. I drag and drop from the content library: Poser Formats/My Library/Figures/DAZ People/.

Load your M4 Morphs from the Pose Library: Poser Formats/My Library/Pose/... uhm... whichever they're in... I forget... You can drag and drop those as well...

Locate your Character Morph Presets, and drag them in.

then select anything in the window where you see all your figure stuff, right click and select "Transfer On for Non Zero Values"

Then below that, hit the button and create a single morph.

Hit Transfer

In the dialog, leave the Identifier field blank.

Name your morph

You might leave it on ACTOR for the region, but the default location under Actor, I always change.

I put them under "Characters/Girls" or "Characters/Boys" so I can always find them easily.

aaa.jpg
    422 x 602 - 71K
    aaaa.jpg
    425 x 595 - 62K
    aaaaa.jpg
    417 x 359 - 40K
    edited December 1969

Wancow - Thanks! Simple and to the point... yet I still don't seem to be able to get it to work... I get the dial I want for my character and the M4 shape is applied before I dial my character, but nothing changes... what am I doing wrong? I also noticed that in your screen you get only "body" and "head" under the morphs list, whereas I get body, head, chest, abdomen, etc. Does that make a difference?

Richard - Thanks for the tip, :)

edited January 2013

Okay, then try this. Load Michael 4. Apply your character preset. Export Michael 4 to Cr2 with the Character Preset applied. Make SURE there is no scaling involved, check every part of M4 to make sure all your parts are at 100% of scale. Then, drag that Cr2 file into GenX. Then transfer as above... see if that works. I've had to do this before for similar reasons.

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

I've actually done that too after I figured out *how* to do it, heh. I've use a cr2 of just M4 with my character, and while genesis does change, it still doesn't look remotely similar. Like I mentioned before, it looks like my character's younger brother, or cousin, or something, not his identical twin, which is what I thought GenX could do. I don't mean my last comment as a bad thing, I guess I'll just ask again, should I expect a genesis twin or a genesis younger brother from GenX? How exact will the transfer be?

And here comes the dumb question of the day. Should I get the evolution morphs? Would they make a difference in the transferred Gen4 characters? So far I've only been trying to transfer characters, not make new ones.

edited December 1969

Okay, I have to get back into this, because I ran into that problem and there's a GenX setting that will solve it having to do with controller morphs. Let me try and figure out what that setting was and I'll post again