Studio4.5 gives error on exiting

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,198
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

And people wonder why I hate Studio4

OK, after having twice been burned by Studio4 and then after months of avoiding Studio4 like the plague I gave in to temptation and tried the latest version (DAZ Studio4.5.1.56) on a spiffy, clean, Vista Home Premium 64-bit machine. (Pentium dual CPU E2200, 4GB, 500GB, graphics chip "Intel G33/G31 Express") Updated to ServicePack2 and latest functional and security updates. Basically a virgin machine.

With an administratively privileged account I first installed the DAZ Studio 64-bit version. I acquiesced to all default options. During installation I got an error saying that an error occured during the installation of the "content manager". I pressed the "OK" button on the pop-up and the installation proceeded to finish. However, I quickly discovered I had no content (because I hadn't installed the content installer yet) duh! However, when I terminated the Studio session I got an error from Microsoft saying "DAZ Studio Application has stopped working".

I then opened the Windows "Services" manager and manually started the DAZ Content Manager. It started without error and remains running.

I then executed the content installer to install my basic Genesis content.

I then restarted Studio4.5 64-bit and was able to see my default character. I dressed him and gave him some hair and saved the scene then terminated the program which promptly gave me a Microsoft error "DAZ Studio Application has stopped working". :(

OK, so maybe I have to have the 32-bit version of Studio4.5 installed also I remember reading and experiencing problems of some sort requiring the 32-bit version be installed. So I installed it.

Then I re-ran the 64-bit version and it still errors on exit.

I then tested the 32-bit version and it behaves normally and exits without error.

I then re-tested the 64- bit version and it still errors on exit.

And people wonder why I thumb my nose at Studio4. (*grrr*)

Anybody have any ideas about what I'm missing, before I toss this problem report into the DAZ trouble ticket black hole?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2013

Toss the Intel Graphics into the black hole instead...

DS/QT and Intel Graphics (any flavor) are not the most compatible combination, at the best of times. There's over 700,000 hit on Google dealing with OpenGL and that chipset...a very large percentage of them being of the nature "HELP! OpenGL won't work!" (And my guess is the 64 bit drivers are worse than the 32 bit version, as far as OpenGL support is concerned).

Can you post the details of the error message?

If it's something like in QtGui.dll, then better than 99% chance your main problem is the Intel Graphics.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If it was the graphic chip it would have crapped out immediately or anytime the chip was pushed too hard. More likely the OS or antivirus/firewall has a problem with some of the clean up Studio does on exiting.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    If it was the graphic chip it would have crapped out immediately or anytime the chip was pushed too hard. More likely the OS or antivirus/firewall has a problem with some of the clean up Studio does on exiting.

With the Intel Graphics it can crap out at any time...often when dialog boxes pop up.

Besides, AV interference is my second choice (would be first if it were running with an Nvidia or AMD video card).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Oh the Intel GC strikes again...yep more problems than they are worth and it is just nit Daz Studio that has issues with Intel GC as mjc said above.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Sometimes turning Display Optimization Off (on On) will help with the Intel card issue, but really those things are the devil.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,198
    edited January 2013

Thank you all.

I was afraid it might be graphic chip issues. I got this machine basically as a freebie. Unfortunately I have a neurotic compulsion to fill all electronic holes. I need a plug for every socket or I itch like crazy! :-s I discovered this machine has the capability to handle 8GB instead of the 4GB it currently has so I ordered memory (had to get four 2GB modules to replace the four 1GB modules, at a cost of about $100 and now I fear I have to get a new graphics card, so there's another $50. I already have another 500GB hard drive to put in but now I need to beef up the power supply to feel safe with the extra memory and hard drive so there's another $50 and I'm up to a total of $200 for this "free" machine. (*sigh*) :-( I'm tempted to get the $49 Window8-Pro update from Microsoft before January 31 but I hate to lose my only Vista machine. I still have customers who call for advice operating Vista.

edited December 1969

Thank you all.

I was afraid it might be graphic chip issues. I got this machine basically as a freebie. Unfortunately I have a neurotic compulsion to fill all electronic holes. I need a plug for every socket or I itch like crazy! :-s I discovered this machine has the capability to handle 8GB instead of the 4GB it currently has so I ordered memory (had to get four 2GB modules to replace the four 1GB modules, at a cost of about $100 and now I fear I have to get a new graphics card, so there's another $50. I already have another 500GB hard drive to put in but now I need to beef up the power supply to feel safe with the extra memory and hard drive so there's another $50 and I'm up to a total of $200 for this "free" machine. (*sigh*) :-( I'm tempted to get the $49 Window8-Pro update from Microsoft before January 31 but I hate to lose my only Vista machine. I still have customers who call for advice operating Vista.

I'd go for a basic Nvidia card...a GT430 1GB card can be had for about $30 , and in a low profile format that won't really require a PSU upgrade,

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,198
    edited January 2013

Happy camper! I rummaged around in my scavanged parts box* and found a card that works. PCIe-x16 nVidia GeForce GT-520 with two DVI outputs, 500MB. I installed it but the system wasn't happy at first and treated the card as a standard VGA card and would only fill 75% of the display even when set to the proper pixel dimensions. Then WindowsUpdate kicked in and found a driver for it and installed it automatically. After a reboot the card is working properly, is recognized as the GeForce, and my display is filled 100%. Yea!

I then tested DAZ Studio4.5 64-bit and it works properly and terminates without giving an error. Cool beans!

And then there was a knock at the door and my new 8GB memory was being delivered. Joy Joy !!

* Actually I have 32-spare parts and scavanged parts boxes in closets, behind chairs, on shelves, and forming table bases in my livingroom/laboratory. For the most part, the boxes are sorted and labeled but sometimes I go on a scavanger hunt through them all and find something that was mis-sorted. It's like Christmas. 8-o

Edited to add:
    I ended up going to the nVidia website to download their latest driver for the GT-520. It solved some other problems that cropped up with the card while I was using it with Studio4.5 (system got into "Shaded Block" mode and wouldn't come out and then Studio started crashing spontaneously.

After I updated the driver from nVidia the problems have all gone away and Studio4.5 seems stable.

I've installed the new 8GB of RAM and it tests out OK. The graphics card in addition to the two DVI outputs has an HDMI output also but it appears to be a non-typical size. Research on the Internet indicates that it might be an HDMI-C connector so I ordered a six foot long cable from NewEgg.com that has an HDMI-C male connector on one end and a regular HDMI male connector on the other end. I was not aware of the different size HDMI connectors.

As a side note: Notice that I used the indefinite article "an" in front of "HDMI". Again this illustrates that it is the sound that follows the indefinite article that dictates whether "a" or "an" is to be used. A consonant sound like the "h" in "house" would sound best as "a house", whereas the acronym HDMI is not a pronouncable word so it is spelled out and the leading "H" when pronounced (in the United States) has the vowel sound of a long "a" as if it were pronounced "aych" so the phrase "an HDMI cable" sounds best.
    I believe that in some English speaking countries they pronounce "H" as if it were "haych"? So, in that case the phrase would be "a HDMI cable" (a haych dee em eye cable). But in England they don't pronunce the "h" in "house", the phrase would be "an house" (an ouse)

Don't you just love English? 8-o
    PS: don't get me started on plurals! 8-0