Budget laptop for DAZStudio 4.5

TarakTarak Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm thinking of getting this laptop primarily for DAZ4.5 - I'm on a tight budget - any hints, tips or comments welcome:

ASUS R501VM N56VM Core i7 3610QM 16GB 750GB 2Gb GT630M WIDI 15.6" Bluray Gaming

Manufacturer Number
R501VM-S4142H (N56VN)
Processor & Cache Memory
Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3Ghz (Turbo 3.3GHz)/6M

Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 64bit
Chipset
Intel HM76 Chipset
Memory
FREE Upgrade to 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz RAM (Original 4Gb, Supply and Install RAM)
2x DIMM, Max 16GB Support
Hard Drive
750GB 5400rpm Hard Disk
Display
15.6" Extra Wide Angle View Full HD LED (1920x1080)
Video Graphics
nVidia Geforce GT630M 2GB DDR3 VRAM Graphics

Support nVidia 3D Vision (Require optional exteranl 3D LED with nVidia 3D Glass)
Optical Drive
Bluray Combo (Play Bluray Discs, Burn DVDs)
Card Reader
SD, MMC, MS
Video Camera
720P HD Low Lux Camera
Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN
Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
10/100/1000Mbps
Intel Wireless Display (WIDI)
Yes, Share laptop content wirelessly on your TV
Interface
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack
1 x VGA port/ D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
4 x USB 3.0 ports
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
Audio
Built-in speaker and microphone
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower, SonicFocus
Bonus Sub-Woffer
Battery Pack & Life
6 Cell / 5200mAh
AC Adapter
120W
Dimension & Weight
38.0(W) x 25.5(D) x 2.72 ~ 3.24 (H) cm
2.70 kg
Warranty
2 Years Global Manufacturer Warranty

Post edited by Tarak on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

How much?

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Sounds pretty expensive. If it is not, then I envy you.

edited December 1969

Sounds pretty expensive. If it is not, then I envy you.

Similar models run around $1200 US, without the extra RAM.

edited December 1969

Shop around a little...check out this place...

http://www.msy.com.au/

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Also Newegg.com. I'm pretty sure they ship to Australia. At least check them out. Ebay is not a great place to buy an expensive computer (cheap parts, yes) because of the risk involved.

An Intel quad core is a good choice for rendering. I use a 6 and it is great for most of my rendering needs (including big scenes with DOF and raytraced transparencies). I do not have time to spend 20 hours per render so this is a serious recommendation. ;) I was an AMD girl for ages but now that I've switched I could not go back.

Make sure you have a good cooling mat with some extra fans. A laptop absolutely will have overheating issues on long renders at some point in its lifetime, even a good one.

• hermana5hermana5 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

I am also in the market for a new laptop but i really don´t understand what i need - it is only for Dazstudio and photoshop and maybe a draw program so any advise would be appreciated, i have looked at this

Brand Samsung
    Item Weight 3.8 Kg
    Product Dimensions 47.8 x 40.6 x 16.6 cm
    Item model number NP700G7C-S01UK
    Screen Size 17.3 inches
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Type Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed 2.3 GHz
    Processor Count 4
    RAM Size 16 GB
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card Description Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M
    Graphics RAM Type VRAM
    Graphics Card Ram Size 2 GB
    Wireless Type 802.11n
    Operating System Windows 7 Edition Home Premium
    Lithium Battery Weight 2.5 kilograms

But there is another make which is dual core with a faster speed on the processor.
    Which would i be better going for in your opinion ? Thanks.

i think the turbo speed goes to 3.3?

Post edited by hermana5 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Personally I would stick to i7 and above...4 cores are better than two generally. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Pete, we have looked through loads of laptops, my only criteria was 17.3" screen, windows 7 and nvidia card and better than the lappy i own now though it has been brilliant upto now. Reading the forums i couldn´t make out whether i was better with more cores (haven´t a clue what they do !) or the speed - if i go for both i would need a mortgage! so it´s a matter of what i can get for this price, but not really knowing what i am looking for.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Also Newegg.com. I'm pretty sure they ship to Australia. At least check them out. Ebay is not a great place to buy an expensive computer (cheap parts, yes) because of the risk involved.

Also not a good idea to buy expensive electrical items from foreign countries. If you run into a problem it will cost a fortune to return the item, add to that different countries have different consumer protections laws. Not to mention that some countries have different electrical voltages.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited January 2013

Sounds like you know as much as me. I am in the process of learning more about certain motherboard and graphic cards etc for when I can afford a new computer. Yes stay away from Intel Graphics chips and cards period. Not worth the hassle IMHO not when it comes to this type of software. My wife's Acer Inspire Laptop has Intel Graphics and it is a great machine and has worked everyday for a number of years now without any issues at all. As soon as you try to do anything 3D it has a fit.

I did look at the Xeon chips but the price is too far to reach for a hobby. If I ever pull my finger out and start selling I may go that route in the future but for power the i7 3770 seems to be the best and are happy to be overclocked for which some companies provide overclocked i7 based systems which I am rather keen on.

RAM I am heading toward 16 but ideally I would like 32 GB's This helps us with Rendering and with how much Geometery we can have in a scene and how well the UI (User inferface) performs when moving the camera around. So when it comes to Ram more you can afford the better.

Cores The old days we had one CPU, then came the Dual core which effectively is one CPU but able to process information on two sides (putting it in laymans term as that is how I understand it. Anymore trying to understand how it works is blowing my mind at the moment and to be honest I don't care anymore. As long as it works that will do me). Anyways yes so now we have one chip and 4 sides processing information making it a Quad Core. Black drak magic to me, cool though. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited January 2013

Szark said:
    Personally I would stick to i7 and above...4 cores are better than two generally. :)

And I second this, too. My sister's laptop has an Intel Core2Duo and it flat can't handle DOF and UberEnvironment at the same time in a scene with multiple layered transparencies. For good renders you really want quad and up unless you've got a lot of time to spend setting it to one side and letting it run.

As for buying from out of the country... you're doing that regardless, probably. I have had both very good and very bad experiences with electronics from elsewhere, since the vast majority of computer parts other than CPUs are not built in the United States. Or Australia. ;) But if it's a question of consumer protections, that's another issue, of course. I wouldn't want to have to RMA stuff back to Hong Kong from my end.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Thankyou for all your comments at least i am on the right track....now for comparisons to see if i can get more for the money.