Good Plan for the site, Bad Execution

HaslorHaslor Posts: 408
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay I checked this on both the MAC and the PC and they both do the same thing.
So I have to say it is a great plan, to keep the specials in our faces, (if we missed them for some reason) but the execution is a little off.
Weren't those images suppose to line up?

Getting my Mantis access fixed or I would report this via that.

Good_Plan_Bad_Sizing.PNG
782 x 815 - 752K

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I don't really see the point of specials on "New Releases" page
    If I want to see specials, I'd go to one of many bright buttons they have for exactly this purpose.
    When I want to see new releases with no other ads, I go to "New Releases"
    I guess either I'd add another ad blocker or I won't look for any new releases at all

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,630
    edited December 1969

I had this happen to. I just did a Ctrl+F5 and it went into its proper place.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I had to turn off Adblock Plus to get the page to display correctly. It's blocking some page elements which causes the screwed up page alignment.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited January 2013

Frank0314 said:
    I had this happen to. I just did a Ctrl+F5 and it went into its proper place.

Well, that got the display fixed.

Not entirely thrilled by the category organization. (would like to look for Horse poses in Animals/poses, for example, and not poses/animals) but it's usable.

Though I still miss being able to shop the whole store.

To expand on what I mean, I'd like to go to "Animals" and then filter down to "poses" rather than having to start out looking for poses. The side buttons are a start, but when you look a the url location, you're in Poses/animals category wise. I'd want to see everything for horses in one category.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

CTRL-F5 worked for me but

It's still annoying as heck.

You don't see ANYthING you can purchase unless you scroll.

Is DAZ trying to copy Rendo which now puts a row of 'sponsored items' at the top and you have to scroll to see the new items.

I HATE IT.

I HATE them both.

Yes, that's what I really think.

I have a button on my toolbar that takes me directly to the 'what's new' page to avoid all the extra stuff on the main page. Now they're putting the crap on the what's new page as well. And, yes, I often click on the special stuff banners that were there.

edited December 1969

Well, the promos only appear on the categories listed under steals and deals, which is less intrusive than Rendo's sponsored items, which show up on all pages. But the promo section is bigger, making scrolling a requirement, which is not good, to say the least.

edited January 2013

Spit, ad blocker is your friend

I wish I could do the same about Renderosity

I had to turn off Adblock Plus to get the page to display correctly. It’s blocking some page elements which causes the screwed up page alignment.

I really, extremely, utterly dislike new big splashy ads IN MY FACE on "New Releases" page, so I blocked everything out, even new releases pictures. I'd open them one by one and look for pictures if I'm interested. But the fact that I now have to scroll down just to get to new releases is not making me a very comfortable customer.

And there is still no end sale dates despite reworked categories. Who is working on DAZ3D site, a dolphin with no business or design sense?

Post edited by Kattey on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I believe what's happening is that the old CSS is still cached, so if you don't do a force-reload of the page (which forces all associated media to be reloaded) it won't show the correct CSS for the new page.

I had this happen also, and a Cmd-Shift-R (Mac, Chrome) fixed it for me as well.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

oops. Found an interesting glitch.

Shop By all Daz originals doesn't show platinum prices, but Platinum club does.

And yes, I was logged in on both pages.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,881
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I don't really see the point of specials on "New Releases" page
    If I want to see specials, I'd go to one of many bright buttons they have for exactly this purpose.
    When I want to see new releases with no other ads, I go to "New Releases"
    I guess either I'd add another ad blocker or I won't look for any new releases at all

I agree with this (and others) who are saying it's annoying to have the entire screen filled with giant ads and then have to scroll down to see products.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,086
    edited December 1969

I'm on dial-up access. I DON'T need the excess crap at the top of the screen - and I'm NOT planning on scrolling to see new releases.

So, from my point of view, there are NO new releases showing today.

And for the most part, all my purchases come off the new releases page, so . . .

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    I believe what's happening is that the old CSS is still cached, so if you don't do a force-reload of the page (which forces all associated media to be reloaded) it won't show the correct CSS for the new page.

I had this happen also, and a Cmd-Shift-R (Mac, Chrome) fixed it for me as well.

-- Morgan

Yeah, I think you're right. I turned adblock back on and the page is still displaying correctly.

And I agree that new layout is annoying.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited January 2013

Cypherfox said:

Yes, that's the major problem — the updated page code is being picked up as a new page, but the updated CSS isn't, so the page looks a hideous mess. Force-refresh fixes it. I'll have to play around with this a bit to see if I actually like the new layout, though.

Edit: one thing I don't like is the three-panel advert block at the top. It should only be on the shop front page, plastering it everywhere is only going to annoy people. People who want to give DAZ money. You don't want to do that (again), do you, DAZ...?

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I haven't had problems on the site yet like this, but ever since the site "upgrade" my newsletters have all looked like that and worse. It's coming up on a year and you'd think the problems like that would have been fixed. I don't even read newsletters anymore because it's impossible to do when both images and text run off the side of the table and are cut off for some reason. :(

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I'm not liking the new fastgrab.... like 61 products... some look like platinum.... I won't be checking each to see if there are any PA products I might find in the haystack.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

*Looks at New Releases page for the first time in months*

UGH! That's definitely complaint-worthy. Even my not-exactly-small screen only shows about half a row of actual products without scrolling.

Fortunately, my usual store page (the everything category) is unharmed by this round of changes.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I won't be checking each to see if there are any PA products I might find in the haystack.

Easy* way to check, on any store page — if it doesn't have a little gray DAZ logo or "P" logo, then it isn't a DAZ Original or a PC item. Look under the big thumbnail on a store listing page, or just below the big green "add to cart" button on a product page. There are about a dozen PA items in today's big fastgrab splurge.

* ...unless the store's gone bonkers again.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Got the website is down page a little over an hour ago. Finally got on. I'm guessing all the colorful big pitchas are for the pad/phone users. Yahoo did the same thing a few days ago, big ugly panel of pictures before the actual news items. So I guess this is another type of web page for the growing users on the pad thingies. I dislike the slide show set at warp speed-can't read it much less try to click on it. I don't understand the sales being advertised and I didnt realize scrolling down was necessary. Sigh.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited January 2013

I don't get it when they are now adding PC items in the fast grab. It seems like half of them are PC items.

Edited: 39 of the Fast Grab items are PC items that are the normal PC price of $1.99. Doesn't seem like a fast grab when you can buy them any day for that price.

Post edited by ledhead on
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited January 2013

I guess that I am in the minority(or just strange), because after using ctrl-F5 I kind of like the new layout. On the other hand I can imagine what it must do to people on dial-up.

As for the Fast-grab items, I got the impression that having so many items was a temporary situation and they will go back to a smaller selection eventually. Also, for others in the PC just because we don't get benefits from sales on PC items doesn't mean the sale is worthless. The fast grab and this last weekends sale would be great for people who are not in the Platinum Club and want to clear their wishlist.

Post edited by Zylox on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,502
    edited December 1969

i don't like that the actual items are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the page. I'm clicking links and going where's the items?? i can't see anything... welp scroll down a good bit and see the actual items. would rather trick people int thinking its broken/no items, and hence, no sales.... kinda silly.

I like banners, but i dont like scrolling adverts on the main page, or every page. When I go to the "shop" page I want to shop... not stare at adverts. Home page, let's keep it there shall we?? Yuck talk about annoying! Why do store 'upgrades' not usually make the shopping experience better? :S

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited December 1969

I had been sitting here scratching my head over why people were having to scroll down to see the products. Then I remembered that I just got my new computer with a ridiculously high resolution. After resetting my resolution to what I used to use, I have to agree that the new layout is not a good idea.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Ledhead said:
    I don't get it when they are now adding PC items in the fast grab. It seems like half of them are PC items.

Edited: 39 of the Fast Grab items are PC items that are the normal PC price of $1.99. Doesn't seem like a fast grab when you can buy them any day for that price.

But if you are not a PC member, then they would be a good deal, wouldn't they?

Then what am I paying $70 a year for if it is available to everyone?

edited January 2013

Then what am I paying $70 a year for if it is available to everyone?

But they mostly don't get our (PC) new shiny releases, just older stuff you probably already have :)

And, um, I just saved $35 on Freak 5 Pro Bundle thanks for PC discount on DAZ Originals, January PC coupon and additional 15% discount for previous purchase of Freak 4 whom I got also thanks to PC

Post edited by Kattey on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

They showed as $1.99 to you because you are a PC member. They didn't show at that price if you are not

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,155
    edited December 1969

Finally got the new elements whipped into shape for my Green theme using "Color That Site" for Firefox

Only kvetch is if you right click on a product and you open it in it's own tab, rather than clicking directly, it opens with it's own URL so it's like

https://www.daz3d.com/freak-5

will be back to the default silver theme. Always something! lol

GreenThemeStore.jpg
    1295 x 897 - 194K