"Moonrise Kingdom" - Live Action Or Animation?

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Its a little dead here, so maybe an off the wall topic ...

I just watched Wes Anderson's movie "Moonrise Kingdom", a very fun movie (7.9 at IMDB). Critic Roger Ebert says:

" ... the film's entire world is fantastical. But what happens in a fantasy can be more involving than what happens in life, and thank goodness for that."

Yes, the actors are all live (and very good - Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, Harvey Keitel!).

But the way it is shot is interesting. The sets seem to be more from a Pixar animation, not real but more dreamlike. The camera motion is similarly unworldly, with a lot of side to side pans (like a console platform game), and abrupt 90 degree angle changes.

So ... I dunno, a Pixar/Live action crossbreed, or sumpthin'?

Full disclosure, I am a Wes Anderson fan, "Rushmore" is an alltime fave.

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192
    edited December 1969

No responses, not too surprising since I've learned "Moonrise Kingdom" did not play in very many theaters. But I still think its worth the effort for animators to see it, and here is some more evidence. A short animation of the imagination of the female protagonist, Suzy Bishop, inspired by some wonderful (non-existent) children's books:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNc7HuatHQ

I love the comments that say, "Why don't these books exist?" And yes, I have been intrigued recently by children's imaginations in my own animations. Shel Silverstein said it pretty well:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/28220-magic-sandra-s-seen-a-leprechaun-eddie-touched-a-troll-laurie

Note that "Susy" is in there ... :coolsmile:

• almancarlaalmancarla Posts: 6
    edited February 2013

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems the cast is pretty cool (Bruce Willis, Kara Hayward). I'll check it out this weekend, thanks for recommending.

Post edited by almancarla on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192
    edited December 1969

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems the cast is pretty cool (Bruce Willis, Kara Hayward). I'll check it out this weekend, thanks for recommending.

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy it. Yes, the cast is great, the two leads were about 12 years old, and I believe were selected via an open audition.