Mirror Reflection

texjonestexjones Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

In Hexagon & Daz I have created a Vanity Mirror. Finishing in Daz, I've almost got it, but I know I'm missing something. As you can see, the lights reflect great, but he's not so clear. I see an outline but not full image. How do I get him to come into the mirror more vivid? I turned the reflection all the way up, but lowered the diffuse, ambient and specular down to about 10%.
There are two layers of the 'mirror", I thought the keep the back one at ambient grey, and specular at black at about 50%, while the front one is light grey and much lower, and the opacity turned way down. But I've already seen if I choose too dark of a diffuse color, like black he can't be seen at all.

MIrror_image.jpg
550 x 397 - 55K
Post edited by texjones on

Comments

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

The problem is not the mirror.

There is no light hitting the figure from the direction of the mirror - therefore no matter what you do the figure is going to reflect darkly... you need to change the lighting so that his face and chest are illuminated, maybe use an uber environment light or place a spot behind the mirror with cast shadows turned off.

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Yeah, the lighting dawned on me. I brought in another mirror prop I have and followed exactly what they did. Now I can see his reflection much better. and this is a case where lighting is VERY important.

I'll work out the final details when I actually put the mirror into the scene I am working on. When it's ready to animate then I'll get the lighting for the mirror corrected. But the main thing I got it right, for the most part. In fact, I bet I can put in a few linear point lights into the 'lights' themselves and get it to work right, or spotlights turned way down.

Thanks for the help.

MIrror_Image2.jpg
    550 x 397 - 54K
    edited January 2013

I got it!! This is so fun... The one thing I have come to learn about the Brock figure (here), when using lights, set them to diffuse instead of on and turn the intensity down, so you won't see those seam lines.

Brock_in_the_Mirror.jpg
    550 x 397 - 139K
    edited December 1969

and with a couple more lights, it's done close enough for now.

Brock_in_the_Mirror3.jpg
    550 x 397 - 137K
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969