Best way to save a Character DSF?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can someome remind me how it is we save Character DSF files in DS 4.5? It's not the Character Preset, because that produces a DUF file... :(

But: if I save a character preset, DO I even NEED a DSF file? I always assumed I really do if I want to keep my Scene files small...

Post edited by wancow on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

If you want to save a character as DSF then you need to roll back to DS4.0 as only asset files are saved in DSF format in DS4.5.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,143
    edited December 1969

You need an asset to use the character preset as a figure - if the item you are using already exists as an asset (as Genesis and add-ons do) then a character preset will work, but if it's a new figure you will need to use File>Save as>Support Asset>Figure Asset to get the dsf files that the .duf preset calls.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Thanks Bejaymac and Richard...

I am curious, if I save a Character Preset, doesn't DS4.5 creare a DSF file somewhere? That's what I'm trying to avoid...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

For most things, if a dsf is needed/generated, it will be in the data folder. If it doesn't need one, all you'll get is the duf file. You can open the duf (especially if you don't compress your files) in a text editor (7zip can uncompress them if they are compressed...or you can use DS to do it) and see what it looks for/reads as far as other files go.