Poser 8 - problem finding files

immortalityankimmortalityank Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello! I'm pretty new to poser, so I don't know what's wrong. I have multiple Runtime directories on my external HDD, I reinstalle dmy Win7, and therefore, Poser 8.I installed it on C and it gives me an error when i try installing a base onto the main Runtime. Now, I wouldn't quite care for that as i already have the bases on my external HDD.But when i loaded a character, it complains about missing files, such as:
Inner-EFull-NB-Tr
Inner-EBlonde2
MidOuter-EFull-Tr
MidOuter-EFine-Tr
MidOuter-EBlonde2
Outer-EBlonde2
V4BrownEyes

I have no idea where they're from, so I have no idea what I need to reinstall. I also loaded all Runtimes, I ran a search in the external HDD and it didn't find any of them. And when it asks for these files, it shows the main Runtime, the one from C.I didn't have this problem before and i didn't reinstall anything. Any help in figuring out the problem would be greatly appreciated. Even the name of the stuff i need to reinstall.
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Are you saying that you have a Runtime folder in your Poser Program folder, in Program Files (x86)?

If so, move it to the Documents area, or onto your HDD. Program Files is a protected area in Win 7, and the OS will not let you write user data there. It can lead to a lot of complications.

How did you look for your runtim,es on the HDD? You can do it by adding them yourself, use the little running amn icon with the Plus sign on it to add a library. Browse to your HDD, and add the folder which holds the runtime, and not the runtime folder itself.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy :)

I have Poser 6 as a runtime in program files x86, and no issues with adding content or saving files there
    Using Win7 pro 64 bit.

I think only with Poser 8 or 9, the user is asked to select a Runtime location, when installing,. but it still allows you to set it within the main program folder,.
    the choice is either (in the main program folder) or in (User/documents) etc..

So, windows will still allow you to install to a sub-folder of Program files or Program files x86,.
    But it would prefer all user files, "which may change" or be moved around,.. to be installed into a location which doesn't affect the Program files folder.
    As far as I can see this saves it having to change / move the data, when it's de-fragmenting your drive,. and that limits the possibility of corrupting files.

immortalityank :)

Have you set up (added) the runtime library folders on your external drive, to the Poser8 as additional places for it to look for content.

Poser will only look in locations it's been told to,. so if you've just installed it, it will only be looking in it's own poser 8 runtime.

If you have added all the other runtime folders,. then the issue of missing files may be caused by files which have been moved (from where poser expect to find them) or uninstalled.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

It is a LOT more than that Andy :) Program Files is a protected area, and user data which is written there usually gets shunted of to another folder called Roaming. I have seen it happen loads of times. I haven't bothered to find out all the ins and outs of the UAC in Win 7, but it is definitely NOT a good idea to store any user data in Program Files. You can do the opposite, but that is not recommended either, that is, store Porgram Files outdside of the Program files area. Some people do that to get around the UAC.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I Installed my Poser 8 on a separate drive to avoid all this sort of problem

• immortalityankimmortalityank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I added all my runtimes with the + sign from Library.I tried searching for the missing files with the search function of windows, nothing. I probably have to reinstall something, my main problem is...I don't know what :( I read somewhere that all bases need to be in the main Runtime directory.If I uninstall Poser and reinstall it on another partition...will I be in danger to lose the files stored on my external HDD?

edited December 1969

Well actually I already had all my DAZ 3D figure bases stored in the main runtime of P6 on my old computer, so when I changed computers I put a copy of my old P6 runtime onto the external where I keep all my runtimes, and then added that as an extra runtime once I installed P8 on the D drive on this one.

SO you could save a copy of your P8 runtime as maybe "P8 old" or something and then copy that back into your new P8 install once you have uninstalled and reinstalled P8 to a different drive ?

I have this PC set up so the only programs I have on my C drive are the OS, web browsers, antivirus.and Skype.

edited December 1969

I read somewhere that all bases need to be in the main Runtime directory

Some of the older installers for the Gen3 and Gen4 Base figures look for a file called poser.exe, and if it is not found, then they complain about it. When installing DAZ 3D Base figures, simply select DAZ Studio as the target application, EXACTLY the same files will be installed, but the installer will not look for a poser.exe file.

Moving a complete Runtime folder from one drive to another should not cause problems as Chohole says, just tell your copy of Poser 8 where to find them.

edited January 2013

How do i do that? Just by adding the runtime directories with the + from Library or there is also something else that I need to do? Wish there was a simple way figuring out what needs to be reinstalled based on what files are missing....would save everyone a lot of trouble....
    That's also because I haven't deleted anything, I have kept my files on my external HDD.What a headache Poser is...-_-""""" No one knows where Inner-EFull-NB-Tr
    Inner-EBlonde2
    MidOuter-EFull-Tr
    MidOuter-EFine-Tr
    MidOuter-EBlonde2
    Outer-EBlonde2
    V4BrownEyes come from? Some appear to be textures, but where from? Skin, hair, base? I want to reinstall what's missing and try to fix that way.I tried other characters too and they are working fine.This one seems to be missing some elements...

Post edited by immortalityank on
    edited December 1969

Yes, just add the libraries inside Poser using the Add Library tab.

What figure exactly are you trying to load when you get these errors? They look like Hair textures to me.
    Is this a saved figure from a Scene file (PZ3), or form the Library?

edited January 2013

DO you have embrace hair ? I find at least one pf the files you note in textures / Hmann-textures.

http://www.daz3d.com/embrace-hair-pak

couldn't find the V4 brown eyes one though

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

The V4 Brown Eyes comes from this pacakge which was a freebie from soewhere.

5 Star Eyes for V4 by Tivao of Youko Arts Graphics
    edited December 1969

I used Sapphire Fox hair, I don't remmeber if i changed the color with that one, but i will try reinstall it. Thank you very much for your help, I will try now what you suggested and keep you updated ^-^

edited January 2013

Yes, just add the libraries inside Poser using the Add Library tab.

What figure exactly are you trying to load when you get these errors? They look like Hair textures to me.
    Is this a saved figure from a Scene file (PZ3), or form the Library?

From both.I tried from both. I've reinstalled the 5 eyes and the hair, have yet to see if it works but I think one of the misisng textures might be from skin.Dunno which one though -_-

OMG! OMG! Yep that hair and those eyes, and problem was solved!!! Thank you guys soooooooooo much!!! I still have a char taht doesn't work, but right now I'm not gonna bother with it XD Will try to find the misisng files on my own for that one at a later date XD
    THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!! <3</p>

One last question: what are .cr2 files? I have some old characters with 3 files each: 1 is .cr2, 1 is image, png and the other one is .pmd. And they don't seem to work anymore -_- Any way to make them functionable again or I should give up on that idea?

edited January 2013

CR2 is the actual figure file, which references the geometry of the figure. This is the one that appears in your figure library PNG is simply the little image that shows what is is and PMD is something to do with the morphs I believe

Poser 6 uses a new file format, PMD, to store its external binary morph information.
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited January 2013

Ah, I see. But for the working files I have pz3 instead of cr2. These ones, that have cr2 at the end, don't work :( Why aren't these characters working, the ones with a cr2 file, and the ones that have pz3 instead of cr2 do? And is there any way i can make the ones with cr2 work again?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi ;)

The PZ3 file is a Poser scene file .

The CR2 is a Poser Character file,. which "references" the Geometry, meaning that when you load it, Poser looks inside the Geometry folder, and loads the 3D model.

If the CR2 files are not working, .. then the most likely problem is that the model is not in the geometry folder.

There should be a 3D Model with the same name as the CR2 file, inside the geometry folder

If you can tell us the names of the files, maybe someone will recognise them, and be able to say where they came from,.
    ..Unless they're your own CR2 saved character files.

If these are files you have purchased here, you can reset your download for those items and re-install them.

renaming files isn't a good idea, ..it cannot change the format, ...it simply makes the file unusable.
    moving files around is also a bad idea.

edited December 1969

They are cr2 created files, unfortunately. And I have no pz3 file for them :(

edited December 1969

Ah, I see. But for the working files I have pz3 instead of cr2. These ones, that have cr2 at the end, don't work :( Why aren't these characters working, the ones with a cr2 file, and the ones that have pz3 instead of cr2 do? And is there any way i can make the ones with cr2 work again?

How do you mean they are not working. You should be able to double click on the little image in your figure library and it will place the CR2 into your scene.

With a PZ3 you are just opening a saved scene.

I can't do you a screen shot to show you what I mean because I am in the middle of a long render.

edited December 1969

Ah, I see!So that was the problem and that's the difference! Thank you so much! I was trying to open the files by double-clicking in windows and not in poser itself XD