It was a funny bug, but now it is annoying

2»

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

Grimreaper,

I set the Carrara render size to be the same as the iPhone screen (480x320 at that time). Then I positioned and sized the objects to render to fit in the scene. That way when the sprites were imported into the sprite sheet they were all the same size and resolution relative to each other. Originally, I tried filling the screen with each object to render. When my son brought it into the sprite sheet all the objects had to be resized. I also made sure that I didn't rotate or move the camera once I started rendering. That way the perspective matched from sprite to sprite. I can share some screen grabs from the finished game if it helps. The game isn't for sale any longer so I can't share it with you.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Grimreaper,

I set the Carrara render size to be the same as the iPhone screen (480x320 at that time). Then I positioned and sized the objects to render to fit in the scene. That way when the sprites were imported into the sprite sheet they were all the same size and resolution relative to each other. Originally, I tried filling the screen with each object to render. When my son brought it into the sprite sheet all the objects had to be resized. I also made sure that I didn't rotate or move the camera once I started rendering. That way the perspective matched from sprite to sprite. I can share some screen grabs from the finished game if it helps. The game isn't for sale any longer so I can't share it with you.

I wonder if using the Isometric camera would simplify the process of keeping the same perspective in future endeavors such as you mention?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Ok, do you have a general idea of what forum I should go to?

Hi grimreaper :)

sorry for the delayed reply,... and it seems I owe you another apology for misdirection,..
    I was sure that there was a Game Developers forum here at one point but it may have been moved or removed with the new web store,.

Maybe the Animation forum would be a good place to ask,. or in the commons,. although threads don't stay around for long in there.
    it's always worth asking in other forums when the subject isn't specific to one piece of software, or one product.

Hope that makes sense :)

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

I think rendering with an isometric camera is a good idea. For some reason I didn't do it that way and I can't remember why. Here is an example of the game screen. The ring was rendered as a static background. Each fighter was animated separately with different punches, kicks and ducks and imported into a sprite sheet. A shadow catcher was used for the ring so that the animated sprites cast shadows. It was easy to do in Carrara and I think produced good results.

Ring.png
    480 x 320 - 145K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I think rendering with an isometric camera is a good idea. For some reason I didn't do it that way and I can't remember why. Here is an example of the game screen. The ring was rendered as a static background. Each fighter was animated separately with different punches, kicks and ducks and imported into a sprite sheet. A shadow catcher was used for the ring so that the animated sprites cast shadows. It was easy to do in Carrara and I think produced good results.

Great results. For that angle an isometric camera wouldn't have worked. I had in my mind (for some reason) something like a side scrolling game.

• MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your help, now I'm waiting for the parts they somehow shipped to my old address even though I change every bit of my info to my new address. Thank goodness the person that lives there is nice enough to help send it here.