A new movie: argus1000 goes post-apocalyptic

argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
edited April 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Several decades into the future, descendants of humans, living in a distant colony, having heard of nuclear explosions on earth, send a spaceship to investigate the ruins.

EDIT: I made some minor corrections, mainly to the soundtrack. So this is a new version.

Post edited by argus1000 on

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Oh wow... you did a brilliant job with this... what will happen if they do send a return mission then, Are you going to expand on the original story?  surprise

Thank you, so much hard work well done and presented!  I will have to view your other two videos as well.

heartyes Silene

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited April 2017

Silene,

They believe they have put the gun out of order, But only for a while. When they come back to the wasted planet, they will have to face the gun again, because by then the drones will have repaired it. They will be annihilated.

I did look up the story... but were you going to produce your version of the aftermath?  devil Silene

I didn't think about that. That might be a good idea. I will have to get my brains in order and running, LOL!

argus1000 said:

I didn't think about that. That might be a good idea. I will have to get my brains in order and running, LOL!

yessmiley S

edited April 2017

Several decades into the future, descendants of humans, living in a distant colony, having heard of nuclear explosions on earth, send a spaceship to investigate the ruins.

Any more comments appreciated.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I started watching it, thinking it was short, but quickly realised I wouldn't have time to see it all so I stopped. Hopefully I can watch the whole thing this afternoon.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

super work yes

hope to see more from you

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Wow, the animation is impressive. Congratulations.  enlightenedyesyes

I really like some of the sound effects, such as the rustling when rummaging through the crate. 

Thanks, TangoAlpha and Diomede. You can also tell me what you don't like in my approach to sci-fi, so I can get better.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I like your videos the only thing I find a bit unusual is how grumpy everyone looks, in the Noah ones too.

I know they are serious stories but so much frowning, I guess I have been conditioned to blank DAZ faces.

th3Digit said:

I like your videos the only thing I find a bit unusual is how grumpy everyone looks, in the Noah ones too.

Hmmmmm.... anyone else of that opinion?

• Merged threads. Please don't post the same thing in mutliple places. If you want to move this to Art Studio, where the other thread with replies was, edit the first post and chnage the forum name from the drop-down menu above the title box.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

pity no animation forum though crying

edited April 2017

I uploaded a new version because I had to do some minor corrections, mainly to the soundtrack. Any comments appreciated.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    argus1000 said:
    th3Digit said:

Hmmmmm.... anyone else of that opinion?

Great animation... been awhile since I've read that author you based the story on.  Started to view it the other night and realized it was not a short... but watched it in entirety tonight.  yes  Thanks for spending the many hours it took and keeping Carrara Animation alive.smiley  More that I can do with my ability and occasional simple ones.

Oh... Wendy is a right about looking grumpy... I would expect a wider range of emotion... after all they are outsiders and not inhabitants.  If you don't mind... one thing that bothered me is when the group had left the ship and talking close-up it appeared as if they did not have any glass in their helmets... there should have been some with reflections... just my silly opinions.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

looking terrific, what an amazing job, hard to be te director producer lighting person etc and you pulled it off.

Must be exhausted - that's a big accomplishment. congrats

edited April 2017

wgdjohn said:

Oh... Wendy is a right about looking grumpy... I would expect a wider range of  emotions

THANKS. And thanks to headwax too. You are right about my characters not having a wide range of emotions. Facial expressions are very labor extensive when you do them manually. But is the lack of emotions being  grumpy or gritty? Anyway, for my next movie I plan to use a  facial capture software like Face-lift or Faceware. That should be an improvement. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow. Very cool!

I've been gone, for the most part, except for the quick pop in and out kind of thing, so I don't know how long this was here. I'm bummed I didn't see this right away!

Quite the cult classic you've made here! Bravo Argus!

Yeah... I agree with Wendy... everyone does look like they're angry. But perhaps that's just how they look from their planet?

Awesome job, my friend! I give two thumbs... both up! :)  yes yes

edited April 2017
    argus1000 said:
    wgdjohn said:

Oh... Wendy is a right about looking grumpy... I would expect a wider range of  emotions

THANKS. And thanks to headwax too. You are right about my characters not having a wide range of emotions. Facial expressions are very labor extensive when you do them manually. But is the lack of emotions being  grumpy or gritty? Anyway, for my next movie I plan to use a  facial capture software like Face-lift or Faceware. That should be an improvement. 

I could do with that in real-life... am fed up looking grumpy and old.   devil S

Post edited by SileneUK on

Quite the cult classic you've made here! Bravo Argus!

Thank you, Dart. It's quite an honor for my movie to be called a "cult classic" by such a prominent member of the group, even if I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Nah... just wait. You'll see... Cult... Classic! Yes! Maybe add a Carrara to that:

Carrara Cult Classic    or

Cult Carrara Classic

Of course, it takes time to become a true classic, but this certainly is one that will be that. yes

edited April 2017

If there is ONE lesson I learned doing movies with dialogue, it's don't get your actors do the voice-overs beforehand. That way you limit your editing possibilies to the pre-rercorded voice-overs. You can't create new acenes. Do the voice-overs AFTER you finish editing. Then you have a lot more flexibility. You can always change your  dialogues to fit your new scenes and  editing.

argus1000 said:

If there is ONE lesson I learned doing movies with dialogue, it's don't get your actors do the voice-overs beforehand. That way you limit your editing possibilies to the pre-rercorded voice-overs. You can't create new acenes. Do the voice-overs AFTER you finish editing. Then you have a lot more flexibility. You can always change your  dialogues to fit your new scenes and  editing.

Tip I've learned from watching very closely to other, famous movies:

It's also amazing what can be done with voice-overs when the camera is not looking at the speaker!

It's easy to get locked into the habit where every bit of dialog has to be 'shown' being spoken. It's actually very common and dramatic to avoid it. Sometimes it's better to show an expression from someone being spoken to, or to show subject matter of what's being talked about.

This has been a famous method, both added on purpose for story or effect, but also as a means to change dialog after the filming is done - because it doesn't have to match lip/mouth motions. 

Also, the casual "hand passing in front of the mouth" covers a multitude of sins rewrites . . .

What I mean is you can do your first draft with computer voices. There is a lot of them on the Internet. Your can then modify the dialogue as you go along.  Then, when everything is to your satisfaction, you can have the actors do the voice-overs, load them in Mimic for Carrara and re-render a final version. I ll try that for my next movie anyway. It seems to me that allows for more creativity than having the actors do their voice-overs beforehand and try to match your editing to them.

Big movies often use video recorded of the voice actors performing to inform their animation. But it does mean the script needs to be locked down. But also, by then they'll have done a bunch of animatic versions, so I guess it's ultimately something of both worlds.

Big movies often use video recorded of the voice actors performing to inform their animation. But it does mean the script needs to be locked down. But also, by then they'll have done a bunch of animatic versions, so I guess it's ultimately something of both worlds.

The way they did it for the Clone Wars, it was often the Z-Vis (animatic) people and various people around the office doing the 'scratch' dialog in that sense. So using Argus' idea using computer voices might be a real help in locking down that script. Great tip, Argus, Thanks!

Also, I've noticed thst Mimic for Carrara is kinda slow at processing actor's voices. Lips movements can become perky, broken, uneven. I used to ask my actors to speak more slowly. But I wonder now if this is the right way. A better way might be to render at 60 frames per second and the process the result, in the editor, at 30 frames per second. That might allow the lips movements to be smoother.

Anyway, Dart, I used your "Environment kit"  lighting system for my last movie, with the dome and everything.   I'm thinking of using.your "Badlands" and "Woodlands" sets form my next movie, with some alterations of course.. Those sets are fantastic. So much care has gone into them.