Just purchased Carrara, but it doesn't work!?!?

scottrichardsonscottrichardson Posts: 0
edited February 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all. Long time Carrara user here. Just not for the past 5 years or so. I just purchased version 8 for my mac, only to find that after downloading all the zips, none of the extracted installers actually work.

Starting to feel sheepish for not having read the forums - but the DAZ store really should say something about the software not being compatible with Mac OS X 10.8.2 ?? Upon 2nd look I see in the tech specs it lists it as not compatible in 10.7 in fine print. I completely missed this link when I first went to the carrara page. My bad :(

Maybe I'm 'doing it wrong' and someone can shed light on the issue. But should I be requesting a refund?

I used to be on the beta team for Carrara back when it was under Eovia's wing with Charles and loved working with it.

Please help!!

Scott

Post edited by scottrichardson on

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am on X.7 but I think. if even the installers crash then something went wrong with your downloads.

• scottrichardsonscottrichardson Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yeah I thought as much, but after two more download attempts, it still doesn't work. Instant crash after opening the installer.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You should clear your Browser cache between attempts, or the error may keep happening.

Have you tried using a different browser as well?

• scottrichardsonscottrichardson Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yup, tried both Safari and Firefox. No dice :(

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I don't normally run C8, but it "works" for me here on 10.8.2. The main issue I have is that it tries to record the registration information in a way that no longer works.

If you have C8 then you should have access to the C8.5 beta. Despite being labeled 'beta' it is fairly reliable and certainly works better than C8 due to bug fixes, including compatibility with 10.8.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Just a thought: is the installer truly crashing (you get the crash report dialog) or is it failing to run? Apple has improved security in 10.8 and by default only signed applications can be run (this helps with drive-by installers and some enterprises that use Windows employ this white-listing technique). Daz has not seen fit to sign their installers.

If that is the issue what you can do is right click on the installer and select open. This will give you the option to 'open' the untrusted application which simply double clicking does not do.