Cannot instal 8.5.0.132 on Mac64, no later version available

v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I reset my downloads and got the latest Carrara beta available .132
I extract the zip file of just over 90 megs
This gives me the executable file. I click that and it bounces like a Jack Russel Terrier for a moment, and then I get a "Quit unexpectedly dialog box. I tried re-extracting said archive and re-downloading the whole thing. All give the same results.

Running latest Mountain Lion 64 on 2011 Macbook Pro i7

Verlon

Comments

• Curved DesignCurved Design Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Verlon said:
    This gives me the executable file. I click that and it bounces like a Jack Russel Terrier for a moment, and then I get a "Quit unexpectedly dialog box. I tried re-extracting said archive and re-downloading the whole thing. All give the same results.

Verlon

8.5.0.132 worked for me. I have a Mac mini with a 2.7 GHz dual core i7 and I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

I am guessing that somehow your download is corrupted.

Marcus

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Corrupted downloads... or possibly the issue discussed here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15789/P15/#238527

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited February 2013

Ok, now have tried 2 combinations of computers and 2 internet connections and operating systems.

I tried downloading the Mac file on a Windows system and copied it over.

Downloaded directly to the Mac. Keep getting the same results.

Downloaded numerous times, and all the files come in at 94.7M on the Mac. None of them work.

It isn't the sandbox issue. I tried turning it off to no avail. The install doesn't start or at least it doesn't run very long.

Post edited by v3rlon_7354dd516e on
    edited December 1969

Interestingly, it looks like the same error if I try to install Bryce. curious.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Verlon said:

Bryce doesn't currently work on a Mac that has Lion or Mountain Lion as the OS X. This is stated in the Tech Specs and on the Product page.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Verlon said:

Bryce doesn't currently work on a Mac that has Lion or Mountain Lion as the OS X. This is stated in the Tech Specs and on the Product page.

Bryce doesn't work. I am aware of this. What I find curious is that the Bryce Installer fails with the same error that the Carrara Installer fails with when Carrara 8.5.0.132 is supposed to work on Mac (which sort of implies the Carrara Installer would also work).

It is often quite possible to install programs that do not work, including a rather expensive competitor for Bryce (what is it with landscape programs, anyway?)

edited December 1969

...and you know you have fully converted from Windows to Mac when it doesn't occur to you to just reboot and try again. That seems to have fixed it.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Verlon said:

Verlon

That is not the latest carrara beta, build 172 is the latest. Try right-clicking the executable and select open. Daz has decided to not sign their executables so default security settings on mountain lion prevent them from running. You aren't getting the relevant error message for this, but it is part of the procedure I routinely use to run downloaded programs/installers.

If it "quit unexpectedly" there should be a relevant entry in the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) -- that would likely have information to help tell what is going on.

• Curved DesignCurved Design Posts: 61
    edited February 2013

thoromyr said:
    Verlon said:

Verlon

That is not the latest carrara beta, build 172 is the latest. Try right-clicking the executable and select open. Daz has decided to not sign their executables so default security settings on mountain lion prevent them from running. You aren't getting the relevant error message for this, but it is part of the procedure I routinely use to run downloaded programs/installers.

If it "quit unexpectedly" there should be a relevant entry in the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) -- that would likely have information to help tell what is going on.

In "My Download Products" 8.5.0.132 is the latest version I can download that is 64-bit BUT 8.5.0.172 is the latest version that I can download that is 32-bit.

Anyone else experiencing different version numbers for the 32 bit vs. 64 bit versions?

Can these both be installed at the same time if I use different directories?

Thanks,

Marcus

Post edited by Curved Design on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Can these both be installed at the same time if I use different directories?

Yes install to different directories. In most cases the 32bit and 64bit versions do not share plugins.... Each gets the appropriate kind.

For what it's worth I have not bothered with 32bit since the original beta....