Nvidia Quadro K2200 - screen blackout

I tried to search the forums for posts about the Nvidia Quadro K2200, but it's difficult as you cannot use more than one keyword!

Also pm'd DAZSpooky as I gathered from a post that he has this same graphics card I think, but did not get a response, so perhaps he/she is inactive at the moment. Anyways, I need some advice if anyone can help.

Here is my build that I got back in winter 2015.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/942457/#Comment_942457   Monitor info is on there, too.

My problem initially was that my monitor went dark every so often starting in about November, not enough to be annoying, but NOW, suddenly since January it's gotten very annoying!  It may happen when not even using any 3D software or Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaveretc. (Own software CS3, not subscribed service). I use a lot of 2D in my job. I thought I was on a track for help via Adobe forums, but a dead end.  I watch some live-streaming webcams on a multi-display sometimes, but exited the site to see if it changed things, but it did not make any difference. I do not do games or create animations. I do watch Youtube tuts about Carrara!

After it goes dark... with a 'click' sound, the time it takes for the screen re-lights means there is no message about the interruption (I have to turn screen off/on to get it back or else it takes up to a minute).

The other day, by chance... I got a quick flash look at a message box saying something about the card not working/unexpected/recovered or something like that.. it was all a blur and I cannot seem to get the message to stay when the screen recovers from the black-outs. I had originally thought it was the cord connection for the monitor in back, but now I can see it's card related.

So ... I go looking to see if I have the latest drivers for it the Quadro K2200. Yikes... Nvidia uses Java and I had to crank up IE as Firefox and Chrome do not run Java properly for their scan. By the time I got that sorted, I found the driver, but wanted to be sure and not mistakenly download the wrong one, so I let the scan run, then downloaded the driver. I did do a system restore, probably for the first time ever.   http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/116704/en-us  Hoped it was the answer and would take care of it.  I was desperately trying to recall if I had downloaded any previous driver updates myself, but am having a real brain-fart about this. Is there a log someplace that would show this?

But it still is happening... do any of you know of this problem by any chance??   

Cheers for any ideas... am really puzzled and not tech savvy enough to dig further or read all the support info about the Nvidia drivers at their link.  

frown Silene

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

have you tried a different monitor to eliminate that as the culprit?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

It sounds like it could be power related,. rather than a driver issue,.

Some of the Nvidia cards need to have a power cable connected to the card,... (depends on the card)

Make sure that the power cable connection to the card, from the motherboard power cable,.. is ok.

I have an Nvidia card and use the Nvidia driver updating thingy to automagically check for and download updates,. works ok for me.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited April 2017

Thanks Andy and Stezza... 

Stezza, I don't have another monitor any longer... old one went to a friend.  Maybe I can borrow one... hmmm. Everyone seems to have laptops and tablets these days.

Andy, does it work in a browser other than IE for you?  I got there in the end, but Java kept saying FF and Chrome were not compatible with them and the Nvidia site would not scan (giving me a warning about Java) till I went to IE.

Ack... will have to get on hands and knees and wiggle the CPU out, it's really 'in there' as it's bigger than my old one. Will have to do that at the weekend. Would be nice if it was something loose and tempermental!

Cheers!  yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I had similar problem some time ago. The upshot was that my monitor was burned.

Vyusur said:

I had similar problem some time ago. The upshot was that my monitor was burned.

Yikes... it's quite new and wasn't cheap!.  
    AOC I2769VM 27" IPS Monitor - 5ms, 1920x1080, D-Sub, HDMI, DP (£181)

I wonder if it is the cord that's defective. I can get another one of those to try. frown S

• The "click" would be a relay and usually they are in the monitor.

You said it helps to turn off/on monitor, could also be an indication that the monitor is the problem child, the monitor has a signal in the video cable telling it if there is a video signal or not, but normally there is a message displayed for a second or so on the monitor before it goes into sleep mode, that should also be indicated by a led on the monitor change color or go off.

Defective cables is one possibility as you said yourself, make sure it is well connected.

Are you sure the message displayed is from the computer (video card) and not a message displayed by the monitor ?

It would be a good thing if you could borrow another monitor and try if that help.

Is the fan working on the video card so it is not overheating or anything ? ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php )

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322
    Stezza said:

have you tried a different monitor to eliminate that as the culprit?

This is a valid point since most of the times Drivers are pretty solid. I use following Nvidia tool instead of browser to update drivers:

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

I also sometimes try un-installing and then re-installing drivers if nothing works.

• mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101

I have the Nvidia Quadro 4000 and I had a similar problem, my came from overheating which was caused by dust that was accumulated on the inside where the fan is located, I had to take it apart and clean all of the dust out it and off of the fan as well, and still do every once and awhile and I haven't had any problems since. Believe me when I tell you, you're not going to get much help from any of the so called tech support people about this issue, they'll mostly try to get you to buy another card. Take a look at the fan area and see if there is any dust inside the case and if there is any dust on the fan blades, dust on any fan blades in a pc is not good...

edited April 2017

@mhscspo  Oh that could well be, I will have to pull it out and check that. Would be nice if it was that simple!  I have a Corsair cooling system as below. See screenies as well.

Power Supply                   CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
    Processor Cooling            Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste                 STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

@3d4funandplay   Does the Geforce Experience work for Quadro?  I used it for my last CPU which had a low-level Geforce Card and got the notices.

@mikael-aronsson  I am going to do the dust thing first, then see if it helps. See temps attached, they are in Centigrade and just captured first thing before I started opening emails and stuff.   I only got that glimpse of a message once and maybe it was about recovering, but I really cannot recall as it was gone in a flash... it's never on the screen when it comes back to life and I only have an 'impression' of what it said. 

So first I will clean, then check, then the cord, then try another monitor. Thanks for the help, EVERYONE...any more suggestions are welcome.  I will post back after I try these things.So far this morning, no blackouts, yet. It might have to be tomorrow to do this, but will try to do it today.

yes Silene

1.png
    743 x 772 - 40K
    2.png
    355 x 691 - 325K
    Post edited by SileneUK on

try this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1275136/modding-quadro-4000-advice-welcome (here are two snap shots to take a look at as well)

once the case is open you'll see that there is a lot of dust on the inside and and dust air spray and cotton swabs can be used to get the dust out.

as for the fan blades just using those dust spray air cans alone doesn't clean off all of the dust from the blades  you have to wipe the blades with a cloth or cotton swabs along with some isopropyl alchol with a strength of 80% or higher.

You don't have to remove the heat-sink

this method shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you video card is out of warranty, it'ts for the Quadro 4000 but from what I've seen of most of the Nvidia cards they're pretty similar in design.

I also have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 in my other computer.

I hope this helps in some way....

NVIDIA_Cleaning_Modding Quadro 4000, advice welcome_Page_3.jpg
    1700 x 2200 - 245K
    NVIDIA_Cleaning_Modding Quadro 4000, advice welcome_Page_4.jpg
    1700 x 2200 - 239K

The K2200 looks a bit different.... but guess it might have the inacessbility problem as well?  Hmmmm.  I used to dive into my Dells no problem, am a bit nervous about this beast.

First things first! indecision S 

That's not much different from my Quadro 4000 at least you know how to get inside of it that's a good thing...

Nvidia K2200_.jpg
    756 x 501 - 99K
    mhscspo said:

That's not much different from my Quadro 4000 at least you know how to get inside of it that's a good thing...

Thank you for pointing out problem areas. So,OK doc, surgery will be tomorrow. laugh    I did a superficial clean (suction) of the back of the CPU a little while ago, and it wasn't bad, and so far I have had no blackouts. Maybe I will try a render after dinner. But will still go inside the CPU and have a look at the area and the card.

Cheers! yes Silene

SileneUK said:
    mhscspo said:

Thank you for pointing out problem areas. So,OK doc, surgery will be tomorrow. laugh    I did a superficial clean (suction) of the back of the CPU a little while ago, and it wasn't bad, and so far I have had no blackouts. Maybe I will try a render after dinner. But will still go inside the CPU and have a look at the area and the card.

Cheers! yes Silene

keeping my fingers crossedsmiley