Production Frame Locked - Can't resize it

Well the title pretty much describes my problem.  Most often the "Production Frame" gets locked up somehow and I can't resize it to occupy more space in the working area.  I've tried changing the image size in Render Settings with no luck. Apparently I've done something wrong.  What I did do was to create a scene from scratch... set the Render image setting to be tall and not wide, portrait look,... went back to Assemble room and resized it.  I later changed to a wide and less tall, landscape look,  I could no longer resize the production frame.  It appears that it may have become locked before that since this is where I noticed the problem.

I normally work in a landscape view Render aspect.  I have noticed that when I do at some later point try to change the Production Frame size it does nothing.

Does anyone know how to unlock the Production Frame?  TIA

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

John, it's here.

2017-04-25_1051.png
    758 x 656 - 197K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

in the view drop down menu, just below the choice that  says 'show production frame' there is a 'lock production frame' maybe this is ticked ?

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2017

No such luck... I just opened one of the many saved files.   I never check it anyway... it seems to lock itself. 

What I did try was to check it then un-check it... no change... so I un-checked "Use Constraints"... still no change.  Then I Cut the object behind the top half to reveal the working screen... again no change... grrr.

I next created a new Medium scene with nothing in it but the camera and light... now it is resizeable so now I wonder if it is a one time deal and can't be resized later... which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Thanks Andrew... at least I know more about this problem than before.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited April 2017

Can you resize the frame in the render room or is it still locked ?

EDIT: Just reread your first comment, sounds like you have already done this.

RenderRoom.png
    1929 x 1046 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    wgdjohn said:

I next created a new Medium scene with nothing in it but the camera and light... now it is resizeable so now I wonder if it is a one time deal and can't be resized later... which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Most times I have to adjust it before I add anything or very little.... once the scene gets loaded up I can't adjust it either no matter what.

Which is a pain sometimes if I forget to do it.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

unchecking the "keep proportion" on output tab will let you resize the production frame by dragging the corners.

iirc, need to be looking through the camera selected on the output tab.

if you look at the camera from another camera, can see wire frame handles to adjust the production frame of the camera you looking at with the other camera.   + 2 venti cups of java smiley

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the lil teeny tiny wireframe display button

camera wire manipulator.JPG
    1231 x 604 - 114K
    camera wire manipulator2.JPG
    1191 x 570 - 107K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Mistara said:

unchecking the "keep proportion" on output tab will let you resize the production frame by dragging the corners.

nope... doesn't work most of the time with a loaded up scene...

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

I've never run into that particular issue but I have had cameras get corrupted on saving a file before.

This might be an obvious thing, but is the Move tool selected? I think that's the only one that lets you resize the production frame.  If that's not it, then try clicking View > Zoom > Default Zoom and 2D Pan and see if your control of it gets reset.  It's kind of a fix-all for production frame issues in my experience.

If nothing works you can always add a new conical camera, set its position to the original camera and then delete the one that isn't working right. The new one should work normally.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Also, we won't get the option to resize the frame in the working window if we have "Show in 3D View" unchecked. The camera must be viewable for resizing tools to show. It took me a while to realize this, because I always keep my filming cameras hidden from 3D View! LOL

Mistara said:

iirc, need to be looking through the camera selected on the output tab.

if you look at the camera from another camera, can see wire frame handles to adjust the production frame of the camera you looking at with the other camera.   + 2 venti cups of java smiley

Misty... Kewl,  Ya taught me sum'em.  Never knew there were also controls on cam itself.  Thanks for the pics.  Oh..  I suspect that if 2 views are open, one for each camera you could easily see how one camera sees the prod frame.

MDO2010 said:
    If that's not it, then try clicking View > Zoom > Default Zoom and 2D Pan and see if your control of it gets reset.  It's kind of a fix-all for production frame issues in my experience.

If nothing works you can always add a new conical camera, set its position to the original camera and then delete the one that isn't working right. The new one should work normally.

Thanks MDO... will have to keep this in mind and try it sometime.

Also, we won't get the option to resize the frame in the working window if we have "Show in 3D View" unchecked. The camera must be viewable for resizing tools to show. It took me a while to realize this, because I always keep my filming cameras hidden from 3D View! LOL

Thanks Dart... I just opened my fully loaded scene and sure nuf... I had "Show in 3D" unchecked as most often I do.  I'll have to be sure that UnifiedBrain finds out... who has the same problem...  I'm sure plenty others do also... just goes to prove "All ya gotta do is ask".

Thanks to all the kind folks who have provided input on this issue.  Carrara Folks Rock!

Yes. So now I just look through the camera in question, select it in the tray and Show in 3D View, then grab the corner handles to size it how I like, then deselct Show in View again. 

Like I said, took me a while to discover the problem. Like this thread, people were at a loss trying to help me. I guess most folks just don't hide their cameras from view?

Cheers man! Rock On in Carrara (and otherwise too!) ;)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Goodness, I am always moving my camera(s) around... never hid them before so never had this happen!  Thanks, Dart and everyone else's suggestions!  yes Silene

Silene,  Dart had mentioned hiding the camera in another thread.  It sure helps me to hide it... I use the Directors Camera fairly a lot in order to make adjustments without messing up my render Camera view... for most scenes I'll create a copy of the render Camera just in case I do happen to move it.

wgdjohn said:

Silene,  Dart had mentioned hiding the camera in another thread.  It sure helps me to hide it... I use the Directors Camera fairly a lot in order to make adjustments without messing up my render Camera view... for most scenes I'll create a copy of the render Camera just in case I do happen to move it.

Ah, OK.  I save my camera positions with specific names, eg Camera 1 position saves start with C1-ONE, TWO, THREE etc. Camera 2 starts with C2-ONE, TWO, etc. The higher the number, the more recent the save. I have not been able to figure out a way to delete the earlier lower numbered saved camera positions that I no longer want. These saves always get me back to where I want to be, except under View I have to reset Zoom/2D pan.  I need to learn more about cameras for sure.  I always am hiding light rigs and bulbs as they certainly do get in my way!  frownSilene

Instead of saving 'positions' I just duplicate the camera, rename the duplicate, and then set the new aim, so I'll have several cameras in each scene.

By default, I keep them all hidden, so that when I use my Director's Camera's "Set position to", then the camera's avatar isn't obscuring my view.

I love the Director's Camera because manipulating it doesn't add to the Undo buffer, keeping my undo's for my scene adjustments ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I tried saving "positions" for a while, but I kept ending up with positions that I could never access - the menu was greyed out. Carrara has a menu problem when you have lots of them. So now I just create lots of cameras. You can still only "Set position to" the first 10, but at least you can select all the cameras from the viewport dropdown.

edited April 2017

Thanks, Dart and TangoA... yes that makes more sense!  I also have the problem of grayed out saves with too many.  You have both saved me future aggro. I am learning to use more cameras now which is great fun.

Cheers for that!  yesheart Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I use the settings under the magnifying glass icon on the left to resize my production frame zoom in the viewport 

reset default  2D zoom and position will give the original but making it 200% handy for some things or 50% others depending on if you want to frame the whole scene or see where you are for the intended panning for future frames.

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89

The camera you're using for the 3DView (indicated in upper left corner) must be selected in the properties tray (lower part/instance tab). See attached file.

Also, the 'Move' tool must be selected. It doesn't work if it's 'Rotate' or 'Size' or anything else. The mouse pointer should turn to a cross when you're on the corners of the frame (or at the center).

As DartanBeck said, on the camera properties, 'Show in 3D view' must be ticked, but it works whether 'Visible' is ticked or not.

I'm sorry, Mistara, but the "Keep proportions" only does what it says ...

Hope this helps.

resize production frame.jpg
    1179 x 797 - 206K
    khris205 said:

The camera you're using for the 3DView (indicated in upper left corner) must be selected in the properties tray (lower part/instance tab). See attached file.

Also, the 'Move' tool must be selected. It doesn't work if it's 'Rotate' or 'Size' or anything else. The mouse pointer should turn to a cross when you're on the corners of the frame (or at the center).

As DartanBeck said, on the camera properties, 'Show in 3D view' must be ticked, but it works whether 'Visible' is ticked or not.

I'm sorry, Mistara, but the "Keep proportions" only does what it says ...

Hope this helps.

Perfect sum-up of the entire process! Thanks for that, Khris205!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

_ interesting subject_

ed3D said:

_ interesting subject_

It really is. I love Carrara's camera possibilities.