Stirring the pot today

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited May 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Been in a silly mood today.  Will step away before I start getting a lot of stuff deleted.  Have been playing with safe topics thus far.  For example, if you would like to voice your disagreement with me on realism in general and Iray in particular, feel free to go to the Commons thread here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2385826/#Comment_2385826

The topic of the thread  is about whether products should still come with 3dl materials, or just Iray.  I contributed...

The real world is mundane, as the root of the word mundane (world) implies.  That means commonplace, boring.  The real world does not typically "pop."  If you are inserting extra lights to mimic a photography studio, using composition to focus attention on particular objects, and manipulating blur/brightness/contrast in specific parts of an image to attract the eye, then you are probably not just trying to reach maximum realism. 

Iray can be great.  3DL can be great.  Embrace these (and other) approaches if they are cost effective.  Typically, the uses I see for Iray are not closer to reality.  So misleading, in my opinion. 

Pot has now been stirred.  Blast away.  devil

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I don't like the iRay renders... to cold and unrealistic in my opinion.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

well there are plenty of nonphotorealistic artists both here and in the DAZ forums who agree.

AFAIK it was not an arguement/discussion so much as a query as to whether PA's should support both.

I think you just dunked your tea bag in thats all. cheeky

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2017

Well, half the fun of Carrara is creating your own lighting effects with a nice suite of lights available. 

If I was a DS user, and worked with preset content for everything, then I would probably latch onto Iray because it would follow the workflow that had been spoon-fed to me and present the scene's elements in a pleasing way. Sometimes I think DS tries too hard to make everything fantasy-bright, so it 'pops' as you say. We see these renders on our screens and it's OH WOW.  But also, you are correct...in the natural world those scenes are not realistic. 

In my 2D graphics work I get people who send me images that are so cranked up in RGB that it all goes day-glow.  They don't realise that printers, digital or press, cannot print what they see on their monitor or even what some cameras can capture. The colours are out of the gamut range. They print CMYK which is pigment based, unless you add a Pantone enhanced shade or two which is very costly to ramp up one or two of your colours.  In nature it's silly as when you take a photo in nature, you will not get the blue as in the rgb below, you will get the CMYK blue.  Someone enhanced it in PS or such. So it's only good for viewing on an RGB screen IMHO. Perhaps that is where most of the DS art is seen?

It's one of the reasons I went over to Carrara-- so I can tinker with EVERYTHING... LIGHTS....characters, clothing, props, landscape items, atmospheres, fire, water, clouds, etc etc etc  

The scenes that I do for book covers are geared to reflect real phenomena which is believable. It can still be striking, but believable.

Oh, I just remembered an interesting thing I saw. The Queen always appears in bright colours, even more so now than when younger. She wore a lime green suit with matching hat. Looked amazing on TV and in person (as you obviously can produce textiles out of the normal gamut with special dyes).  But when the newspapers put her on the cover page the next day, the green looked very toned down.  Phillip's uniform is still normal red and their faces are natural. It's just her green that has dulled down in the Telegraph newspaper image from their online site.

yes Silene 

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Interesting about images and printers, Silene.  Had not given enough thought to such limits before.  Queen is looking good.

yeah, the Commons thread is definitely not an argument thread.  Yet.  In the kind of mood today to try to start one.  devil  Wish that rain was not in the weather cast. 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited May 2017

I've worked in pre-press for a newspaper before, so I can tell you that (for most newspapers) photos are significantly edited (this is also where I learned a fair amount of my photoshopping skill).  At the very least, the white, black, and gray levels need to be tweaked to account for the 'dot' method used to apply the various inks (CMYK, and spot colors when they are used in place of a CMYK mix) to the newsprint, and while you are there, colors are often dialed in a bit to better achieve whatever look the management prefers (usually in an attempt to make the images pop better).  Smaller/less skilled newspaper staffs don't sweat this as much, but yeah pretty much all of the larger papers do some level of photo editing/manipulation.  They dont' just simply paste the digital pics into the stories and call it good.

Newsrooms (and their support chain) usually don't edit the 'content' of a pic unless it contains an objectionable element that isn't relevant to the story (swear word, etc.), but less scrupulous papers do what they want (Oprah births Elvis'es alien love child)...

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    th3Digit said:

well there are plenty of nonphotorealistic artists both here and in the DAZ forums who agree.

AFAIK it was not an arguement/discussion so much as a query as to whether PA's should support both.

I think you just dunked your tea bag in thats all. cheeky

dunked  lol

but i like to leave my tea bag in  lol, paper dangly bit hangs off tea cup.

no egg cups though 

Silene, those are vivid contrasts.  looks more contrasty on my displayport connected monitor.  when i slide it to vga monitor looses some contrasty-ness

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    SileneUK said:

Well, half the fun of Carrara is creating your own lighting effects with a nice suite of lights available. 

If I was a DS user, and worked with preset content for everything, then I would probably latch onto Iray because it would follow the workflow that had been spoon-fed to me and present the scene's elements in a pleasing way. Sometimes I think DS tries too hard to make everything fantasy-bright, so it 'pops' as you say. We see these renders on our screens and it's OH WOW.  But also, you are correct...in the natural world those scenes are not realistic. 

In my 2D graphics work I get people who send me images that are so cranked up in RGB that it all goes day-glow.  They don't realise that printers, digital or press, cannot print what they see on their monitor or even what some cameras can capture. The colours are out of the gamut range. They print CMYK which is pigment based, unless you add a Pantone enhanced shade or two which is very costly to ramp up one or two of your colours.  In nature it's silly as when you take a photo in nature, you will not get the blue as in the rgb below, you will get the CMYK blue.  Someone enhanced it in PS or such. So it's only good for viewing on an RGB screen IMHO. Perhaps that is where most of the DS art is seen?

It's one of the reasons I went over to Carrara-- so I can tinker with EVERYTHING... LIGHTS....characters, clothing, props, landscape items, atmospheres, fire, water, clouds, etc etc etc  

The scenes that I do for book covers are geared to reflect real phenomena which is believable. It can still be striking, but believable.

Oh, I just remembered an interesting thing I saw. The Queen always appears in bright colours, even more so now than when younger. She wore a lime green suit with matching hat. Looked amazing on TV and in person (as you obviously can produce textiles out of the normal gamut with special dyes).  But when the newspapers put her on the cover page the next day, the green looked very toned down.  Phillip's uniform is still normal red and their faces are natural. It's just her green that has dulled down in the Telegraph newspaper image from their online site.

yes Silene 

What would be interesting is to see what the first image of Queeny Poo would look like in black and white (desaturated)  How much difference betwee the red and the green.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2017

there's a thread in the art forum where people post good renders (studio) and they all zing but after looking at a few pages you'd swear they were done by the same artist

It must be the new "IRAY LOOK"

I fell asleep ... but it was past 9.00pm

as long as you arent 'smoking' the pot, just stirring it a little then that's fine

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow... cool stuff!

I believe in artists having their own choice to decide, and therefore in favor of keeping 3DL - just like, if they ever added a new engine to Carrara, I would be hesitant to upgrade if they ever took away the current PR engine - even though I don't use it for PR - per se.

stirring the cauldron 

been trying a couple years now to come up with a version of bald wizard's club for sorceresses  lol

the fully waxed moon witches coven?

th3Digit said:

sorceressess is funny to say out loud.  it's like cinamonmonmons, gorillilillas

edited May 2017
    Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

Especially after a few beers, or margaritas!  yes

Am reading a book at the moment and the author said his characters who have the longest names have the most status.

Bandaladalaban, Tulaufibindabula. Dildundilofsitulatuladun...(that last one sound like a Welsh village)

devil Silene

SileneUK said:
    Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

Am reading a book at the moment and the author said his characters who have the longest names have the most status.

Bandaladalaban, Tulaufibindabula. Dildundilofsitulatuladun...(that last one sound like a Welsh village)

devil Silene

syllablelistics smiley

(my new twintub is on the way.  yayyy, no more laundry mat!!)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Bananananana daiquiririririri . . .

edited May 2017
    SileneUK said:
    Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

devil Silene

Not really,  too many vowels, not enough W's and Y's   even our village with it's little short name has one w and one Y     Penywern

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited May 2017
    Chohole said:
    SileneUK said:
    Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

devil Silene

Not really,  too many vowels, not enough W's and Y's   even our village with it's little short name has one w and one Y     Penywern

Bwlch.... regularly pass through on the way to Llanspyddid! We often take the old road to Pembs fr Bristol

saucer esses are when you overfill your teacup

th3Digit said:

Oh that reminds me of seeing Compo drinking tea out of his saucer on Last of the Summer Wine (not my show choice).... must be a Northern thingy.... Phil???  cheeky S

SileneUK said:
    th3Digit said:

Oh that reminds me of seeing Compo drinking tea out of his saucer on Last of the Summer Wine (not my show choice).... must be a Northern thingy.... Phil???  cheeky S

The tea gets cooler quicker in the saucer, so that the busy person, ie the working man, can drink their tea quicker in oreder to get back to work faster.   Old fashioned rather than northern I think

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    Mistara said:

stirring the cauldron 

been trying a couple years now to come up with a version of bald wizard's club for sorceresses  lol

Brazardillian... ?... !

Stezza said:
    Mistara said:

stirring the cauldron 

Brazardillian... ?... !

fancy way of saying braless?

the Braless Sorceresses Club  angel