how can you make cracks?

destrechtdestrecht Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to make realistic cracks, and can't seem to figure it out.

Anyone know some tutorials?

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

I don't know how the Carrara experts do it, but I use either a shader with cracks in it...
    http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-pro-master-shaders
    Either that or use on of Ron's sets...
    http://www.daz3d.com/rons-cracks
    Best of luck!
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Cracks in what? Stone? Paint? Ice? Black top? They're all different and there may be multiple ways or shader settings.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yeah... what kind of cracks?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

or actual cracks in mesh?

edited December 1969

Cool link. Did you see the Carrara interface? Totally different language. I don't know how that person can tell what goes where in there!
    (okay - I'm just kidding). You know... I should check my knowledge of the interface by setting mine to some language I don't know - like, anything but English! lol

Sounds like a Job for Displacement

Or even, perhaps an erosion filter on a terrain?
    Perhaps a Craquelure filter?
    Hard to say without the complete question. :smirk:
  • DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Cool link. Did you see the Carrara interface? Totally different language. I don't know how that person can tell what goes where in there!
    (okay - I'm just kidding). You know... I should check my knowledge of the interface by setting mine to some language I don't know - like, anything but English! lol

Sounds like a Job for Displacement

Or even, perhaps an erosion filter on a terrain?
    Perhaps a Craquelure filter?
    Hard to say without the complete question. :smirk:

You could certainly use one of those fractal generators like cellular or something, but I think cracks would be best done by painting your own texture map, or finding one out there on the web.

Here is my gooey brain using the cellular function for the displacement, color and shininess... Has nothing to do with cracks, just wanted to make something that looked gross...

When you first load Carrara, you have the option to choose French or English as the language, that tutorial is showing the interface in French, which is weird considering the tutorial is in English.

Screen_Shot_2013-02-12_at_2.39_.44_PM_.png
    315 x 312 - 76K
    edited December 1969

Very nice, gooey image! Love it!

• MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited February 2013

I have a decent computer so I use boolean cuts and assign an inner material to the object so it seem a little more real. A tutorial would be simple 1.take the object you want a crack in 2. then go into edit mode 3. and add a grid into where the object is and shape it the way you want the crack to look 4. then add thickness you can always change to your own thickness later 5. use boolean cut and hope it works. If you want to do it another way I would recommend uv mapping so you can get it exactly where you want it. If you have a decent computer you can get the best results from displacement mapping. If you want to go to non realist by which I mean there is no real indent their then you use bump or norm.

Hope this helps

Post edited by Malus on
  • destrechtdestrecht Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

It occurred to me I should respond and not just lurk on my own question. Thanks everyone.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

dbuchter said:
    Here is my gooey brain using the cellular function for the displacement, color and shininess... Has nothing to do with cracks, just wanted to make something that looked gross...

:lol: