Import .eps or .ai into carrara spline modeler

Hey all

I have a complex pattern I don't want to trace that was made in autocad. I'm using an old version of Autocad (2002) and exporting to ai or eps. The file opens in Corel draw but I see nothing in the spline modeler window.

I've tried a simple shape as a test. Any suggestions. Also one other problem I noticed when importing a 2d DXF into Carrara if I don't choose "extrude" when importing I see nothing in the assemble room as with no depth there is nothing to "see" Do you think a similar issue could be happening with the ai? Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you

Comments

• I made some progress. I got an ai file to import bit no go on an eps. Which means I need to do a mid conversion. But here is my new problem. This should be a solid rectangle with holes instead I got solid circles in a open rectangle. Any idea how to flip this. Combine as compound didn't work. I even tried to redraw the rectangle and combine as compound and even that didn't work. See photo. Any suggestions?

Capture.JPG
    1188 x 939 - 104K
  • JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited May 2017

Bonjour,

pour importer un fichier .ai, il faut qu'il soit au format Illustrator 8. Ensuite, il faut décomposer les formes. Si possible ne pas avoir de trait de contour, mais seulement un fond. Pour les trous dans un rectangle, il ne faut pas que ce soit des éléments séparés. Avec Patfinder dans Illustrator on regroupe les ronds blancs ensemble et ensuite on soustrait les ronds du carré noir. Au final on obtient une forme unique que l'on exporte en .ai (8).

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello,

To import a .ai file, it must be in Illustrator 8. Then you have to break down the shapes. If possible do not have an outline, but only a background. For the holes in a rectangle, it should not be separate elements. With Patfinder in Illustrator we regroup the white circles together and then subtract the circles of the black square. Finally, we obtain a unique form that is exported in .ai (8).
    (Sorry for the Google translation ;-)

image(1.jpg
    767 x 540 - 24K
    image(2.jpg
    633 x 517 - 92K
    Post edited by Jamy on
  • Thank you! Translation is fine. I did get it to work but it is quite tricky.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Thank you! Translation is fine. I did get it to work but it is quite tricky.

Yes, the spline modeller in Carrara only likes legacy ai files unfortunately, and as Jamy said, no compound paths!  yes Silene