Nightmare! Upgraded from 4.0 to 4.5 and I can't see any of my content!

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited February 2013 in New Users

Everything is now a mess! No smart content is visible. Non-smart content is in the wrong category!

This is really alarming! Why on earth has DAZ 4.5 changed where it thinks stuff is?!

How can I get back to DAZ 4.0. Is there still and installation .exe somewhere?

Why oh why did I upgrade!

:(

Untitled-1.jpg
1273 x 784 - 144K
Post edited by Sertorial on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited February 2013

Because, in 4.0 it was in the wrong place...

Did you update the Genesis Starter Essentials, too?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,402
    edited December 1969

Yes reinstall Genesis Starter Essentials.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited February 2013

mjc1016 said:
    Because, in 4.0 it was in the wrong place...

Did you update the Genesis Starter Essentials, too?

But it wasnt in the wrong place. It was where DAZ Studio 4.0 put it! Why have they changed where genesis stuff is put in version 4.5? It's bound to cause problems, sureley?

I haven't installed the Genesis Starter Essentials yet, but that won't fix my non smart content anyway :(

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It was in the wrong place, in as much, as the way it was set up in 4.0 wasn't the way it needed to be to get both the DSON importer for Poser and the DIM to work correctly...

Updating the starter essentials will go a long way to fixing, if not everything a lot of it....as SC is context sensitive, if there is no Genesis, there is nothing to be shown...]

Is the CMS service running?

edited February 2013

mjc1016 said:
    It was in the wrong place, in as much, as the way it was set up in 4.0 wasn't the way it needed to be to get both the DSON importer for Poser and the DIM to work correctly...
    So you mean DS4.0 got it wrong? Or I did something wrong?

I'm not sure what the "DSON importer for Poser" is, could you maybe explain?

mjc1016 said:

Updating the starter essentials will go a long way to fixing, if not everything a lot of it....as SC is context sensitive, if there is no Genesis, there is nothing to be shown...]

Really? You think installing Genesis will fix the non smart content too?

Is the CMS service running?
    I'm not sure what the CMS service is.... How would I know if it's running or not? Could you enlighten me?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I’m not sure what the “DSON importer for Poser” is, could you maybe explain?

The DSON importer is made for Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012, and is used to import Genesis and it's accessories into Poser. Prior to this, Genesis did not work in Poser at all.

You need the Genesis Starter Essentials to have Genesis at all. When you select Genesis in Smart Content, all of the itmes that Genesis can use are displayed, it is context sensitive. Genesis Base was updated from DSF to DUF in version 4.5, so you should install the correct version of Genesis Starter Essentials for the version of DS4.5 you downloaded.

I’m not sure what the CMS service is…. How would I know if it’s running or not? Could you enlighten me?

CMS (Content Management Service) is a process that runs in Processes and Services, and it is required to populate the Smart Content pane, among other things. You should have been asked to install it along with DS4.5, but when upgrading to 4.5 from version 4, it would have been a good idea to uninstall the CMS first, then let DS4.5 install the new version.

On Windows, you will see it running in Task Manager, and to start or stop it, go to Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D and look for the CMS entries.

edited February 2013

You need the Genesis Starter Essentials to have Genesis at all. When you select Genesis in Smart Content, all of the itmes that Genesis can use are displayed, it is context sensitive. Genesis Base was updated from DSF to DUF in version 4.5, so you should install the correct version of Genesis Starter Essentials for the version of DS4.5 you downloaded.

Please read my post again. I am not talking about the Genesis content (I would certainly hope that works as it's made by the same company!). I asked if my non-smart content (ie most of my content) will also be fixed by installing GSE. Many people on these forums write as though Genesis was all there is! The fact is that most people are still using V4/M4 etc and a variety of content created by individual creators.

CMS (Content Management Service) is a process that runs in Processes and Services, and it is required to populate the Smart Content pane, among other things. You should have been asked to install it along with DS4.5, but when upgrading to 4.5 from version 4, it would have been a good idea to uninstall the CMS first, then let DS4.5 install the new version.

On Windows, you will see it running in Task Manager, and to start or stop it, go to Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D and look for the CMS entries.

Ok, this is worrying. I just did as I was told and installed DAZ 4.5 from the installer file I downloaded from here. How would I know I needed to install this CMS too, unless I am told to do so?

Are you saying that I might have the new version of DS, but the old version of the CMS and that is what's causing the problems?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your Problems are two fold, your Catagories were not kept when you Updated to DS4.5 and Second Most none Genesis content only shows in the Content Libary Tab and Not in Smart Content. Look for all your Older content here
    Content Library>Daz Studio Formats=Mat files and Poses ect for DS
    Content Library>Poser Formats=Figures, props and all the Poser format content.

Until DS4.0 and Genesis No content was Smart. Only older content that has been updated will show in Smart Content. And that is not very much so far. I hope this helps.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Your Problems are two fold, your Catagories were not kept when you Updated to DS4.5 and Second Most none Genesis content only shows in the Content Libary Tab and Not in Smart Content. Look for all your Older content here
    Content Library>Daz Studio Formats=Mat files and Poses ect for DS
    Content Library>Poser Formats=Figures, props and all the Poser format content.

Until DS4.0 and Genesis No content was Smart. Only older content that has been updated will show in Smart Content. And that is not very much so far. I hope this helps.

Hi

I am aware that my non-smart content is only visible in the content library tab. My point is that it is now all over the place as a result of upgrading. Let's put Genesis to one side, I am not worried about that. I know genesis can all be re-installed easily enough. What worries me is the prospect of having to reimport all my old, non-smart content and re tag, re categorise it all. It will take me months!

All because I was stupid enough to believe the hype and upgrade to 4.5 instead of leaving well alone :(

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

I've just used the Install Manager to re-load all my old figures: V4, M4, A4, S4, Freak4, The Girl etc.

There is a sort of integration into Smart Content for these. V4 and M4 are now in the figures list.
    ...while A4, S4 and the others appear as sliders in the shaping tab.

From the non-figure content... the newest I have is 'Homo Erectus for V4' and the oldest is 'Hand Poses for V4'.
    These also appear in the correct place in Smart Content. I guess if its DIM compatible, it means its also Smart compatible.

So I'm letting DS take care of the things it can manage (they don't need re-categorising) and currently finding the others alphabetically!