strange, Carrara 8.5 won't launch anymore (it was fine before)

Not sure what happened, what changed on my laptop, but for the last 2-3 months, Carrara is failing to launch. It used to work fine for the last 5-6 years.

I've reinstalled a few times, both the 32- or 64-bit version. Still no go.

When I double-click the shortcut on desktop, nothing happens for 1-2 seconds, then the screen flashes briefly, and that's it. Poof, gone.

Does anyone know if there are error log files generated that could give a clue about what's wrong with the system?

-Philip

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Windows update probably 

run it in compatibility mode by rightclicking

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    th3Digit said:

Windows update probably 

run it in compatibility mode by rightclicking

oh, silly, me, thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if that works, yes I suspected all along it's some recent Windows update. This is WIndows 10 here, let me try running it in one of the prior compatibility modes.

hm, sadly that didn't change it. STll won't start in any prior comp modes.

No other programs are misbehaving in this way. I wonder if there is a missing Temp folder or something else. Any way to remove all registry entries about where Carrara has its favorites? Any log files it creates with error info? Anyone knows?

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

I had something similar. I think it has something to do with DS changes (the content database). I went back to DS 4.5 and Carrara 8.5.0.243. My problems started with Carrara 8.5.1 Couldn't figure it out but the older version works fine.

I am going to uninstall a whole bunch of things, already started, Daz STudio, Carrara.... will also reinstall Carrara 6 to see if that fairs better.  ANd v8, and others. Uninstalling Bryze too.

So weird, all of these otehrs work, just none of the Carrara, 32- or 64-bit

I also am error-checking the drive, disabled the antivirus...

found some errors on C: drive that Windows wants to repair... lets hope that's it

yay!, got Carrar 6.2 running again.... at least this much. Now on to the newewr version.

still no success with C8 or 8.5, any version. But at least v6.2 is good

Maybe some conflict with MS DirectX libraries or something alike. Will keep looking for what else I installed in recent months that might have broken it for C8.x

Howler 11 comes to mind, at one point we added MS Runtimes.... wondering if we broke it for C8, but Dan (the other Dan :-)  )  would have let us know as he uses both Carrara and Howler....

so weird. Bryce, DazStudio... Amapi, Hexagon... many other tools, all works, just not Carrara 8.x

I also launched it from a cmd window to see if there are any error messages.

Wish there was a log file for errors.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I am on Windows 7 still and never will upgrade Windows if Carrara breaks on 10.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Hmmm... my working window now looks like I'm looking through fairly opaque black glass. I've tried changing the interactive render settings... nothing fixes it. Just had a Win10 update too. Hmmm

th3Digit said:

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I am on Windows 7 still and never will upgrade Windows if Carrara breaks on 10.

Right. Like I said in another thread, I'm ready to call everything "up-to-date enough", stick with my Windows 7 and unplug from the internet?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I am on windows 10 and have no problems running the latest version of Carrara 8.5 installed from DIM.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited May 2017

I am on windows 10 and have no problems running the latest version of Carrara 8.5 installed from DIM.

ditto that

since the prerelease days if Win10 no problems.

touch wood

maybe remove any Carrara plugin extras you have installed.. if any.

Post edited by Stezza on

Hmmm... worked fine the day before. Still works fine, but the 3d view is covered in a semi-transparent black haze! Not the trays, just the working view. Renders fine. So strange!

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my Carrara - All of the 3D View color chits in Preferences were set to black... everything.

Not sure what caused it, but I do know that I've closed Carrara using "End Task" in task manager lately (being tired of waiting for Genesis/Genesis 2 stuff) so perhaps, by doing so, I've accidentally corrupted my preferences file?

Either way, I just reset to factory settings and am good to go once again! ;)

I had a similar thing happen in DAZ studio where my background got changed by  PA's scene preset to match my grid so thought my grid was missing.

Crazy!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2017

Dart, I know diddly-squat and gnat-sh*t about things, but I found this... dunno if it's of any use as I have Windows 7 and NEVER want to change. I always am two builds behind with MS. I skipped Vista thankfully!  frownSilene

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-creators-update-problems-fixes/

Games disable the Night Light filter

One of the features Microsoft integrated into the Creators Update is its own brand of F.lux style blue-light filtering which diminishes the amount of blue light your screen emits at night time. By warming the screen’s color temperature, casting everything in a gentle orange hue, some users might get better sleep at night, or enjoy some of the other potential benefits of reducing the amount of blue light they’re subjected to near bed time.

That is if the Night Light feature stays on. Some users have reported that full-screen games can disable Night Light not only in the game, but at the system level. There are two things you can do to remedy this problem.

Post edited by SileneUK on

Thanks Silene! Always nice to know a bit more!

I actually just installed a software I got for free called ArtShapes (I think it's called), which makes really cool kaliedascopes on the desktop. Thought that might have done something. But after uninstalling that (and some other things) it hit me... 

No... this is definitely 'inside' Carrara, since it's not affecting my whole screen, only my working view window - not any of the instance tray, toolbars, etc.,

Also, I couldn't see my camera text in the upper left.

As it turned out, somehow all of my 3D View colors got changed to Black! Everything! Rather than guess what they're supposed to be (I love the default low-saturation blues), I just reset to default. Fixed. Any little changes I made to preferences will certainly show themselves and I'll deal with that in time, if needed ;)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Thanks Silene! Always nice to know a bit more!

I actually just installed a software I got for free called ArtShapes (I think it's called), which makes really cool kaliedascopes on the desktop. Thought that might have done something. But after uninstalling that (and some other things) it hit me... 

No... this is definitely 'inside' Carrara, since it's not affecting my whole screen, only my working view window - not any of the instance tray, toolbars, etc.,

Also, I couldn't see my camera text in the upper left.

As it turned out, somehow all of my 3D View colors got changed to Black! Everything! Rather than guess what they're supposed to be (I love the default low-saturation blues), I just reset to default. Fixed. Any little changes I made to preferences will certainly show themselves and I'll deal with that in time, if needed ;)

surprisesurprisesurprise​  Glad it's sorted!  yes S

Whew! Me too! Without Carrara, might as well throw away my computer!

Yeah, I think I'm going to ditch this Windows 10 laptop and try to find an older Windows 7 portable workstation or something. 

When I can, I'm also going to invest in one of those older HP Z800 workstations with dual xeon cpu and Windows 7 Pro - and just stick with the older environmemnt for now. Maybe have a Windows 10 machine around for Daz Studio stuff and testing? Maybe?