Carrara and Hexagon

Does Daz have any plans on new versions of these 2 programs?  Seems like it's been years since anything has happened.

Comments

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169

There's been talk of them working on Genesis 3 compatibility for Carrara, but being that Daz's main business is selling content, they don't really seem to put much energy toward these programs that can create content.

• Sad, I find these 2 programs to be excpetional.  They both have such strong modeling approaches and seem easier to learn.  Perhaps I've been owned Car for so long now that it's really just a matter of theory and how things are accomplished, in other words, if I had learned Blender, I may say otherwise.  

​Still, I really appreciate Car and Hex both.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

You should ask Daz.  Not being sarcastic.  The last known word from a Daz official was reported by someone who asked customer service.  Go to the Carrara forum at that other site that rhymes with monstrosity and you will find the thread easily. Prior to that, the last known word from a Daz official was that Daz was working on genesis 3 compatibility for Carrara.  They haven't commented (and reportedly won't) on future plans, but even official compatibility for genesis 3 seems to have stalled at the moment (as reportedly noted by Daz customer service).  The G3 compatibility that exists now was developed by an incredible user, the very talented Misty, not by Daz.  So, why not give customer service a call?  Phrase your question in terms of current development.  They are unlikely to comment about future plans.  Worst possible outcome is they say "no comment."  If you get any new information, please share, either here or at that other forum. 

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Unfortunately, I think it's clear that those two apps are pretty much dead, and have been dead for a very long time. And IMO, even if they revived Carrara it's so far behind the pack that they could never make it a real contender.

On the other hand, have you guys seen what DAZ Studio is producing? Between the G3 characters and Iray it's producing some jaw dropping stuff. I've always disliked Studio, but recently I've jumped back in and it's pretty incredible. I can't say enough about the G3 characters, especially with the Iray materials, and the vastly improved morphs, and even the collision of conforming clothing can be adjusted to minimize or get rid of poke-thru. My next step is to upgrade my video card to a GTX-1070. Heck, the real time Iray rendering (like Blender) while you tweak your scene is wonderful, especially with a fast graphics card. 

So for me at least, between Blender and DS I think it's clear that Carrara goes back on the shelf, and Studio is my new go-to app for figures. And yeah, I did like Hexagon, but when there's Blender and ZBrush I don't think it's in the same ballpark. 

But that's just me...

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411

I don't know about that. I think the people who use Carrara over Studio do so becuase it does SO much more than Studio. Plus I've seen Carrara native renders that compete with Studio Iray renders on every level. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Yeah, I'm trying to learn Daz Studio.  Have a thread in the Art Studio so people can give me tips and other guidance.  Feel free to stop by and help me out.  But I don't like conforming hair, and Studio's LAMH hair does not play well with Iray at the moment.  Many other issues so I am not going to list them all or this thread would go off the tracks quickly.  Meanwhile, C8.5 still works for what I want so I'm still on board here.

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169

Yeah I prefer Carrara to Studio because the animation tools are so much better. Trying to animate in studio didn't work for me. It felt like I was going backwards most of the time, the more time I spent trying to animate, the worse it looked...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

With a bit of effort you can use G3 in Carrara... see my sig line. (If I can do it anyone can!).

yesSilene