Put a surface on my objekts

Birdie2Birdie2 Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi there,

I am currently working the first time in DAZ using own objects.
Basically I created them in Blender, mainly Letters and simply pulled into 3D.

Now I have them in DAZ, have my lighting and the animation, but I need to change the surface of them.

Preferable something similar to a stainless steal with a brushed look.

How can I achieve that?

Regards
Stefan

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

It was either the basic supersuit or the Supersuit Trooper that got me my favourite brushed steel shader... pretty sure it was the basic supersuit, though...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Birdie2 said:
    Hi there,

I am currently working the first time in DAZ using own objects.
    Basically I created them in Blender, mainly Letters and simply pulled into 3D.

Now I have them in DAZ, have my lighting and the animation, but I need to change the surface of them.

Preferable something similar to a stainless steal with a brushed look.

How can I achieve that?

Regards
    Stefan

You would probably be best using a shader, as wancow suggests. There are a number of free shaders for DS around the web, ShareCG for example, and there are also some for sale here in the store, and at other vendors. Applying the shader is a simple process, once you have one that you like, just select the item in the Scene pane AND in the Surfaces pane, and double click on the shader you want to apply.

• Birdie2Birdie2 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Ok, I think I need a little more help here.

I have checvked ShareCG and downloaded this one:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/27089/View/7/Material-and-Shader/Metallic-Shaders

so now I have a ZIP file with a folder in it.
    Where do I put this content?

And where in DAZ will I see this later on?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

you can put them pretty much anywhere under DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Shaders/

edited December 1969

@Birdie2
    Yes, as wancow says, you can put them in the Shaders folder, the ZIP contains a folder called Metalic, just drop that in the Shaders folder and DS will pick it up.

I was a bit worried about them being made for DS1.8 which is very old now, but they still seem to work, but may not give you exactly what you want, but you can give them a try. You can change the Duffuse colour in the Surfaces pane, and you could try the reflection and specularity settings as well.

edited February 2013

Hi there,

thanks so far for the tips, I think I have it working now.
    Also I found a shade looking as I need it in the "Ultimate Shader Pack" in the section "Chrome Metals".

Now there is just one point I am not sure how to sort out.

In all other shaders I found this worked, just in these from the Chrome Metals it does not.

Imagine you have the object with some surface in the camera view
    now by time line there is a spot light turning on and should point a red light on the object.

Without shader or with eg the shaders from the section "Fast Metals" of the same pack, everything is fine and the object is illuminated in red.
    But not with the ones in Chrome Metals, in my case the "Silver1 Chrome", but the others are the same.
    It seems the Lights have absolutely no effect on this.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards
    Stefan

Post edited by Birdie2 on
    edited December 1969

Have you checked that it does not display red when rendered using 3Delight? Most shaders don't look right in the viewport.

I don't have this shader pack, I'm sorry to say, but if you could post a screenshot of what the shader looks like in the surfaces pane when you have the a surface selected, it might help. Somebody may well come up with the asnwer anyay, if you just hang on a while.

edited December 1969

Hi, I hope this is, what you meant:

3.JPG
    304 x 538 - 37K
    2.JPG
    304 x 838 - 55K
    1.JPG
    308 x 875 - 55K