Project Dogwaffle Howler

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited August 2017

By the way, also take a look at the Animation menu drop-down in the above image. It give a subtle clue of the power Howler has for working with and/or creating animation clips! Truly amazing! There are still many things that I prefer to do in Howler over things like HitFilm or Fusion.

EDIT: There are many other animation features within Howler beyond just the Animation menu. Most filters and effects can be passed over an entire sequence, even also key framed to change throughout the sequence... very cool... very powerful... yet Very easy to work with!

I've said it many times... I Love Howler! Holwer be my Friend!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236

FOr those who are wondering about Howler 11.1 - and to create cityscapes. Depending on what you need as a style... painted city blocks, stamped down, or rendered from an elevation map. Like this.

Then you render that in PuppyRay GPU like this

abc1.png
    1280 x 720 - 333K
    11.1-pre-apocalyptic.jpg
    1600 x 859 - 167K
    edited October 2017

Messing around a little in PuppyRay GPU

PuppyWaterFinal.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 677K

FOr those who are wondering about Howler 11.1 - and to create cityscapes. Depending on what you need as a style... painted city blocks, stamped down, or rendered from an elevation map. Like this.

Then you render that in PuppyRay GPU like this

Very cool! I can't wait to experiment with animating this way! Looks like water waves can be automated to move with animations... cool!

Gotta just Love Dread Plate Filter!!! yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

wow wow can you export that city scape as an obj by chance?

head wax said:

wow wow can you export that city scape as an obj by chance?

Yes, but we'd use 3d Designer for that instead of PuppyRay. But absolutely! In 3d Designer we can make an enormous amount of tweaks to perfect the city - even export different variations of it along with separate maps for different things.

yowza, thanks

so how about a thread of OBj's taken out of dogwaffler and rendered in Carrara as examples - that would be a terrific selling point in a Carrara forum.

you could just post images and then field questions that come - like: how did you do that in a step by step

• Indeed the elevation map, no matter how it was created, can be used again in 3D-Designer filter, where it can be exported to OBJ.... but that's a very very big file, and I personally prefer using the elevation map as is (png file) and load that into Carrara. What Puppy Ray adds, amongst other things,is the endless tiling until it disappears in the distant fog.

Another recent image sequence: a Moon, created from a cup of frothed morning joe

moon1.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 399K
  • another from same heightmap

my-moon.png
    2048 x 2048 - 3M
  • and a rendering with Puppy Ray plus composition with the Moon

a-view-to-the-moon.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 301K
  • we were trying to create a Mars Rover view, but felt it looks better with some bigger moon than tiny Phobos and Deimos.

Another here.

a-view-to-the-moon2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 308K
  • This one is a composition with a smoking fire, very turbulent, perfect to make believe Olympus Mons is still active.

Rover3.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 606K
  • next thing to try: one of those cityscapes, with Moon in the background  :-)

edited October 2017

Phillip, you are a true master! So is Dan, eh? Love those new images!!!

head wax said:

yowza, thanks

so how about a thread of OBj's taken out of dogwaffler and rendered in Carrara as examples - that would be a terrific selling point in a Carrara forum.

you could just post images and then field questions that come - like: how did you do that in a step by step

Sounds fun! Maybe once I get fully back.

For now, here you go:

I took that very image into Howler's 3d Designer (screenshot below) and didn't even play with it that much. 

Then I exported the OBJ, brought it into Carrara, gave it a funky shader, some lighting, etc., replicated it a few times - render

PS Howler City 3DDSS.jpg
    1367 x 707 - 721K
    PS Howler City CAR.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 529K

Please note that I was in the middle of other stuff, and was also in a hurry, so I didn't do the above example true justice... just wanted to show that it is certainly doable.

Things of note: I didn't really optimize anything prior to exporting from Howler, I didn't spend any time in Carrara on the shader, and I didn't UV Map the OBJ (used the default from Howler), used "seamless" in replicator to force buildings edges to meet up.

With actual preparation for such projects, so much better results can be achieved ;)

This one is a composition with a smoking fire, very turbulent, perfect to make believe Olympus Mons is still active.

wow, that's a terrific image - as are the others!

head wax said:

yowza, thanks

For now, here you go:

I took that very image into Howler's 3d Designer (screenshot below) and didn't even play with it that much. 

Then I exported the OBJ, brought it into Carrara, gave it a funky shader, some lighting, etc., replicated it a few times - render

thanks Dart, wait till you see Blade Runner - looks like it was shot in Howler :)

head wax said:

head wax said:

yowza, thanks

For now, here you go:

thanks Dart, wait till you see Blade Runner - looks like it was shot in Howler :)

yes  I love (Love) using Howler for visual effects work. It's like doing digital art using an easel and canvas! ;)

Ever wish you could do more with your image/photo editor?

Ever wish you could interactively shape and place comic-style speech or thought bubbles or other vector shapes?

Ever have that perfect animated render except for a few odd frames that have something wrong with them? With Howler we can actually clone what's missing from one frame and paint it into another, and another... along with many Many other ways to correct sequenced images - even save from AVI to Sequenced image file and the other way around, too!

Howler has been doing a lot of this stuff for quite some time. But the developer, Dan Ritchie, never stops working on making this puppy-rific graphic art software more fulfilling for artists, no matter what your passion!

A new release candidate has just been released along with a shiny new newsletter to help show it off.

So here it is: Scary October - Boo! Newsletter along with special savings for those whom still haven't added this amazing painter to their workflow!

Enjoy!

• Hey, all! It's been a while since I've been around, sorry about that. Haven't done any new tutorials in a while either, my life has been in a mess for the entire summer+ fall.

On the Howler front, I have been asked to put together a webinar through Digital Art Live, on Howler. It will be after we finish our move and I get reliable internet, but, wanted to give folks a head's up. If there is something in particular you would like to see (If you chose to attend, or to buy later from DAZ) just let me know, since I'm not sure what I'm going to cover, other than the basics. I will continue to offer my tutorials on YouTube once I have good internet again, as well.

I'll probably do some sort of "project" from start to finish, but not fully sure, yet.

Hope everyone has gotten to see the tutorials  and again, sorry that I haven't updated lately, but I never did get any questions from folks on what else they would like to see in the basic videos.

Have a great Holiday season and talk to everyone later!

Fantastic, Tiffanie! How do we sign up for that? Probably too early to tell, eh? Either way, I can't wait! I never stop learning about Howler just monkeying around with the interface - there's SO MUCH there!!! :)

Congrats on that, the move (I hope it's a Good Thing?), etc.,    Rock On, my Howling Sister!!!

Hey, speaking of Howler, did you folks know it's Project Dogwaffle's 20th Year Anniversary? Yeah... It is!

(quote from the newsletter)

20 Years of Project Dogwaffle - lots of waffling and howling!

Yes, can you believe it? It's been 20 years since Dan Ritchies started coding Project Dogwaffle. Do you remember the last of the free releases? It was v11.1b

You can see what happened since then over the years here: 

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/whatsnew

Do you remember the first major release with particle brushes for grass?
    Or the mirror and kaleidoscope tool?
    Or the paint program within the paint program: Penny paint?
    And the boxed release that was published in the UK by Fasttrak, and even featured on QVC in Europe?

The first Dogwaffler of the Moment in the DOTM pages was a German artist named Rolf Hilger, aka RoHi, and he was an eye doctor. The doctor knew what was best for your eyes, and it included Dogwaffle :-)

One of our favorite moments was the release of the Motion Prediction module. Oh and then of course, the 3D Designer went ballistic, Pure Ballistic to be precide, in version 9.5, with tools for erosion and sediments. And of course, Puppy Ray on GPU became stellar in the recent v11 release and subsequent summer update.

It's time to celebrate. If you don't have the latest version of Dogwaffle yet, why not upgrade or get it now?

Check out the whole Newsletter Here which is packed with fun celebration of such an amazing art program and it's wonderful and interesting life!

edited November 2017

I am amazed at the develpoment of Project Dogwaffle in all of its forms, with a particular fondness of Howler, which began its life as PD Pro.

The stuff he (Dan Ritchie)'s working on lately has got me all excited - as if there's ever a time when I'm not, right? 

Well, like I said above, I'm always learning new stuff. There truly is a lot of stuff in any of the Project Dogwaffle studios, and Howler adds a whole slew of animation tools to the lot. So I'm not entirely sure if parts of this existed before, but it's new to me, and parts of it are brand new, period.

This thing is called "Post Correction", and it allows us to add variety to our strokes. It allows us to design, or chose from a list of presets, behaviors over the life of a stroke. Start out small, for example, and flutter in size throughout the length of the stroke - no matter how long we swipe onto the workspace with our pen or mouse.

We can use a gradient with the thing too!

But wait... that's not all! We can also use this thing with the Curve Tool!

This is only a tiny taste of what's to come very soon. It's so fun watching Dan work all of these amazing and artistic features to what is already an outstanding artist's toolkit!

Happy Waffling and Howling everyone!

Post_Correct_Curve3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 66K
    GradientPostCorrection.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 89K
    Post_Correct_Curve2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 94K

This is cool. The Timeline of Howler's History (so far)

• Fantastic, Tiffanie! How do we sign up for that? Probably too early to tell, eh? Either way, I can't wait! I never stop learning about Howler just monkeying around with the interface - there's SO MUCH there!!! :)

Congrats on that, the move (I hope it's a Good Thing?), etc.,    Rock On, my Howling Sister!!!

I'll let everyone know when it comes up. Like I said, right now, I"m about to lose internet for an undetermined time.

It will be a good thing...we will have a job for the first time in 6 months! And a home of our own, instead of living with family!  So, yes, good. Thanks for the good wishes, we certainly need them!

Lots of mountaining (rocking) and Howling! Just look at my latest at Devientart!

https://dakorillon.deviantart.com/

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Please post the information to schedule and sign up for the webinar.  I am very interested.   

Definitely wishing you and yours all the best.  

• Diomede said:

Please post the information to schedule and sign up for the webinar.  I am very interested.   

Thank you for the wishes!  Have you seen all my Tutorials on YouTube? That would give you a good base to start with.

Fantastic, Tiffanie! How do we sign up for that? Probably too early to tell, eh? Either way, I can't wait! I never stop learning about Howler just monkeying around with the interface - there's SO MUCH there!!! :)

I'll let everyone know when it comes up. Like I said, right now, I"m about to lose internet for an undetermined time.

It will be a good thing...we will have a job for the first time in 6 months! And a home of our own, instead of living with family!  So, yes, good. Thanks for the good wishes, we certainly need them!

Lots of mountaining (rocking) and Howling! Just look at my latest at Devientart!

https://dakorillon.deviantart.com/

Whoa! Killer!!! Very nice work!

Diomede said:

Diomede said:

times three, great news tiffanie_gray_aceaa3bc71

looks like the new update allows terrain export as OBJ with textures - does that sound right ? so they are auto uv mapped ?

This discussion has been closed.