remove buried keyframes

stijillstijill Posts: 0
edited February 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Ho the hell do you remove buried keyframes. All I want to do is copy and paste what i've built, but every timer I paste something in to another scene or document what I get is what looks like from where I started. How can I remove all does keyframes or is this how Carrara works. I don't want to animate how I built the dam objects.

Post edited by stijill on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

stijill said:
    Ho the hell do you remove buried keyframes. All I want to do is copy and paste what i've built, but every timer I paste something in to another scene or document what I get is what looks like from where I started. How can I remove all does keyframes or is this how Carrara works. I don't want to animate how I built the dam objects.

I know you're frustrated, but you might get more responses if you calm down a little and explain the issue a bit more clearly. Now for the part you may not want to hear: If you don't want to animate, then don't advance the timeline. Simple as that. Another easy way, is to disable the animation checkbox in your object's General settings tab.

To get rid of the keyframes that exist already, you should only have to select them and delete them, by pressing the delete key. To select and delete many keyframes, click and drag your mouse cursor along the length of the timeline and it will select multiple keyframes. Then, press delete.

• stijillstijill Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

My objects are very complex (imported Solid Works as Step File).
    How can I just copy the state of my models/objects as they are without carrying over the time line animation or keyframes. I've attached 2 images. The first Image(1.jpg) is what I dont want and the second image (2.jpg) is what I want to be pasted or copied over. Can I just create a new scene/doc and paste what I have created?

1.jpg
    1133 x 854 - 309K
    2.jpg
    1149 x 1031 - 314K
    Post edited by stijill on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI stijill :)

Once the objects in your scene are arranged the way you want them,.. Select them all in the Scene "instance list", on the right,. and go to EDIT / Group.

This makes it easier to work with a collection of objects.

You can now go to EDIT / Duplicate ...(Ctrl+D) to create an instance of that group of objects,

If you want to use your model in other scenes,. you can Drag 'n;' Drop the object or group, into your "My Objects" section of he browser.
    then you can drop it into any scene.

if you want to add multiple copies to create rows of duplicates, you can use the Replicator, or Surface replicators.

Hope it helps :)

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

stijill said:
    My objects are very complex (imported Solid Works as Step File).
    How can I just copy the state of my models/objects as they are without carrying over the time line animation or keyframes. I've attached 2 images. The first Image(1.jpg) is what I dont want and the second image (2.jpg) is what I want to be pasted or copied over. Can I just create a new scene/doc and paste what I have created?

Why are you using the timeline? I think you don't need that. They look static objects to me.

Try this. Put them in a new scene. Leave / set your timeline all the way to the left (frame 0).
    Arrange your objects where you want them. You should group them as 3Dage suggested. Probably multi group levels.
    Remove all other keyframes beside the frame 0 keyframes.
    If you have all your objects in one group, name it as you want.
    Drag the group to the My Objects section in the Carrara browser.
    Then you can drag them in as much scenes as you want.

If you drag something, or use copy and paste, you also copy the existing keyframes. Your problem keeps following you.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yeah.
    Ditto on what Pjotter said.

• stijillstijill Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

When I copy and paste the objects the way I have them all grouped with names and nested (even if I place them in my library) it copies over the keyframes that I dont want. The first image is how it looks like when I drag it from my saved objects or when I copy and paste to a new empty scene. I know if your going to work with a static scene you should't touch the time line. Did I just screw my self. My objects have details that I set down to the hinges and screws so removing the key frames is mind numbing.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I dunno...

Can you try grouping them, creating an NLA pose (1 frame), then applying that NLA pose to the group's NLA track and stretching it over the whole timeline?

There's probably an easier fix, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I would just open the sequencer and drag across all the errant keyframes and delete...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

And I'm kind of not sure why you're advancing the timeline and moving objects that you don't want moved. Anytime you move off of frame 0 and move an object it will create a keyframe. If you don't want an object animated, then uncheck the animation checkbox.

edited December 1969

stijill said:
    When I copy and paste the objects the way I have them all grouped with names and nested (even if I place them in my library) it copies over the keyframes that I dont want. The first image is how it looks like when I drag it from my saved objects or when I copy and paste to a new empty scene. I know if your going to work with a static scene you should't touch the time line. Did I just screw my self. My objects have details that I set down to the hinges and screws so removing the key frames is mind numbing.

Let's fix this right here and now, once and for all. Give up on pasting what you've already copied, because that isn't work, obviously. So you'll need to spend a bit of time preparing before the copy.

Open everything within the group in the sequencer. Doesn't matter how much of a pain it is - because it's not going to fix itself.

Anything that has something nested - click that little triangle so you can plainly see what's inside the nesting.

I'm serious - you have to do this for EVERYTHING in that scene - EVERYTHING!
    If you don't, you'll never resolve the issue. Might as well throw everything away and start from scratch. So do it. EVERYTHING!

Now go down to the little tab on the top of the sequencer window and drag that up near the top of the screen.

Scroll through from top to bottom in the sequencer. Anywhere one of the lines changes shades, you've got a key frame somewhere.
    If you have to scrub the time along to find the end of the keys, whatever. What we want to do right here is just look around and find out where all of these keys are. As you find them, you should delete them. Don't delete anything from the "0" time frame. You'll delete the object, in some situations - so don't do that.

After you think you have deleted all of the keys, scrub the timeline to the end and check to see if anything moves. If you haven't put your sequencer window back down to normal height yet, go ahead and do that now.

Fact is, you'll never stop pasting keyframes until you get rid of them.

Make absolutely sure that there are no keys in any frame.
    Everything beyond these instructions should be as simple as copy/paste - or saving to your browser.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI

Carrara doesn't record modelling functions like extrusion, as part of the animation,. so your models will be fine and should remain the way they are.

What may change is their relative position or scale in the Assembly room (which is a false scale), and doesn't change the real scale of your original vertex model. so, again, your models should be OK, but the assembly room may show them moving position or scale.

Any animation of your objects and shaders that's been done in the assembly room, or shader room,. will be animated.

As Dartanbeck has suggested,.. the main way to delete key-frames from your current animation would be to select and delete all the key-frames manually.

Another alternative, would be to make all the objects into an "Animation group" this gives you several abilities, one of which is to convert the key-frame animation for the group, into an NLA file,.. part of that process will delete all of the existing key-frames for any animated objects in that Animated group.

to create an animation group,. Select your objects,. go to the Animation menu, then choose,. Create Animation Group.

to convert the key-frame animation into an NLA clip,. and delete the key-frames from the time-line.

Select the "Animation Group",. go to the top right NLA tab, and click on "Create Master Clip".
    in the NLA dialogue window,. click OK,. ...the option to,.. "Delete objects key-frames",.. should be enabled by default.

your models should now have no animation key-frames,. and you can delete the unwanted NLA clip.
    the NLA clip can be found in the bottom right "Clips" tab.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Another alternative, would be to make all the objects into an "Animation group" this gives you several abilities, one of which is to convert the key-frame animation for the group, into an NLA file,.. part of that process will delete all of the existing key-frames for any animated objects in that Animated group.

:red: Of course! :red: