Base Character Over-view.

volutedtalesvolutedtales Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Could someone offer a simple run-down of the base characters for me?

I finally seem to be able to get content to install, but I only have genesis and V3 right now.

An idea of whether I need V&M4; and V&M5;, or can get by with genesis, would be helpful, tho I see much of the stuff that might interest me tagged as needing VM4 or whatever to work, and not so much that’s labelled as a fit for genesis.

I don’t wish to do animations at this time. I want to devise a number of fantasy characters, human and non-human, for use in still shots to illustrate scenes for a series of prose stories. A bit like a mix of short story and comics/graphic novel. So I’ll need a variety of outfits, props and scenes to use.

Can anyone advise the best base figures to start, or should I just get them all, and blow the credit card out smile

This problem, incidentally, is one that needs a pinned post. A clear run-down on the base figures would save a lot of puzzling for newbies.

Thanks, Mark.

Comments

• samialshahrisamialshahri Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

you have to look on your own and browse... narrow your search by looking on the boxes on your lower left hand when you see the list of items.. limiting them to "compatible 3D figure" as shown in the first pic in the box in red..

When at the page look at the requirement shown on top of the details the boxes as shown in the 2nd picture, and don't forget to click the requirement to see if the item required needs another item to be activated and so on.

finally 3rd picture down below you can see the table it helps sometimes and sometimes it can be misleading sometimes; if it says the item is compatible with the figure you have doesn't really mean it is going to look like as what you see.

best of luck
    Sam

3.gif
    872 x 309 - 33K
    2.gif
    805 x 408 - 117K
    1.gif
    864 x 507 - 205K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Could someone offer a simple run-down of the base characters for me?

I finally seem to be able to get content to install, but I only have genesis and V3 right now.

An idea of whether I need V&M4; and V&M5;, or can get by with genesis, would be helpful, tho I see much of the stuff that might interest me tagged as needing VM4 or whatever to work, and not so much that’s labelled as a fit for genesis.

I don’t wish to do animations at this time. I want to devise a number of fantasy characters, human and non-human, for use in still shots to illustrate scenes for a series of prose stories. A bit like a mix of short story and comics/graphic novel. So I’ll need a variety of outfits, props and scenes to use.

Can anyone advise the best base figures to start, or should I just get them all, and blow the credit card out smile

This problem, incidentally, is one that needs a pinned post. A clear run-down on the base figures would save a lot of puzzling for newbies.

Thanks, Mark.

What you need is entirely a choice for you. There may not be very much clothing available for V3 now either, and it will usually only fit to V3, you can do a search in the store. V3 is a very old figure by now, but some people still use it.

The next Generation, Gen 4, has V4, Aiko4, She Freak 4, The Girl 4 etc, and clothing for V4 can often have the other morphs in them so that they fit most Gen 4 characters. You MUST have V4 first of all, to have any of the others. The rest are all morphs of V4.

Genesis is a completely new character, and is not based on any of the previous characters. It has a multitude of morphs, and it can be a man, woman, child, gorilla and Anubis, among other things. It is extremely versatile. Clothing that is made for Genesis, generally fits to all morphs of Genesis (within reason). Obviously, a pair of shorts made for a child, will probably show some stretching of the texture when applied to the Freak for Genesis for example. Most things work well.

The other great thing about Genesis, is the Autofit Plugin for DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro. This allows clothing for V4, M4 and K4 to be altered to fit to Genesis. These figures come with the plugin, but if you have any Gen 3 clothing you want to fit to Genesis, you would need to buy the Iconic Shapes for Genesis Generation 3 from the store.

I like Genesis, and there are loads of free items for both Genesis and for V4 which you can use on Genesis.

If I were you, I would try with Genesis for the moment. There are loads of morphs for sale in the store too, which you can find by searching, and there are free ones as well at ShareCG.

• volutedtalesvolutedtales Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Sam and Jimmy, thanks guys for the advice. I installed a couple of things and had a play with them. I guess it's just a matter now of doing more of that and figure out how everything works and fits together and how best I should use it for what I'm after.

And there are no short-cuts with that, just the hours invested :) I only wish I had more of them to invest, but I'll get there slowly with what time I have.

Keep an eye out, I may dazzle everyone with a shared post or two before long!

Cheers guys!

Mark.

Post edited by volutedtales on