Blushing in embarrassment, face going all white, etc, etc

nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,939
edited June 2017 in Product Suggestions

I went looking in the shop here for an easy means of making a character blush red with embarrassment, or making him suddenly get all white in the face before blacking out, and stuff...  and couldn't find anything related to blushing, except stuff for women and that seemed to be more about putting on blush makup.  And nothing about turning suddenly sickly white.  Mainly I'm wanting to use this on boy characters, maybe occasionally girl characters.

Is there a product somewhere I'm missing because I'm using the wrong search criteria?  I assume this is something that would be added as a layer on top of the regular skin, such as via LIE or something, or the way things like tanlines would be handled. 

In any event, it looks like a blushing-in-embarrassment package would be useful to have, i.e. something with a selection of related facial expressions, and also having variying levels of red-facedness one could dial up or down, or switch between via painted layers, and such.  And also maybe include other sorts of face-coloration change effects, such as that face-goes-white thing, which could be related to someone about to black out, or could be related to fright, and ahve the related selection of frightened facial expressions  Or that white-in-the-face thingy could be put out as a seperate package.  IDeally there'd need to be bnoth a boy and a girl version, either as part of the same package for these, or all together in one pack.  I.e. both girl and boy blushing and embarrassment expressions, poses, and face coloration in one package, or have a package with boy blushing and embarrassment expressions, poses, and face coloration, and another package with girl blushing and embarrassment expressions, poses, and face coloration,  Similarly have a package with boy fright facial expressions and poses, and face color-drains-away applier, but also with sickly-looking and/or feeling-faint facial expressions and poses (i.e. the process of keeling over) and maybe a different version of the face-going-white appearances, and have another package identical to that except its for girl characters.  Or both of those sets together in one package.  Both sorts would probably sell well.

Edit: Come to think of it, other useful stuff would be also Turning Blue (from holding ones breath, or due to not being able to get enough oxygen), and also Turning Green (because you're nausiated and about to throw up or something), with relevant facial expressions and poses.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I'd be great for animators less so for regular renders although a blush does have a different pattern than someone having a ruddy complexion I'm not sure if the difference is enough for you to do that effectively in a render.

Same with sickly white as that depends entirely on people being familiar with the complexion of the person in question.

Used effectively they can be very effective though.

• Well, mainly I'd probably be using it in comicbook-narrative scenes and the like.  I.e., a character gets walked in on in the shower, blushes red and quickly covers himself.  So, you'd see what he looks like before the blush, during the blush, and after the blush.

Well, mainly I'd probably be using it in comicbook-narrative scenes and the like.  I.e., a character gets walked in on in the shower, blushes red and quickly covers himself.  So, you'd see what he looks like before the blush, during the blush, and after the blush.

What you can do is duplicate one of the bump/glossy/specular maps that matches up closely to how a blush would be distributed on the face & body, depending on it's intensity, and use gimp or photoshop to tint it red or pink like a blush. Then you replace the original specular/bump/ or which ever map you felt matched best with a blush pattern in the Surfaces editor (that why you can change back after the 'blush' is over. That will avoid the too much all over effect of using the color for those channels. It's worth a try and probably the easiest & fastest way you could do such an effect. 

For the sickly pale you can do the same thing but choose a light shade than the albedo as appropriate for the complexion but not too much or it will look fake.

• There is a ready made LIE overlay in the Faye and Young Lyra set. It's a simple click on "Faye face flushed" and it will autoapply a transparent mask on anybody's facemap. At least it works with G3 and G8 M/F European skin tones.

Apply several times (2-4) for a deeper blush. The mask is in the installation folder as a.jpg, so you could basically photoshop it larger or smaller to extend that blush over a greater area of the face or setting some cental highlights. It's not that much of a blush to start with, so just copying a useful evenly red part of the texture and doing a large part of the face as a base blush might do the trick (I think eyelids and necks don't blush that much and it tapers off towards the hairline). Should not be too much hassle adapting it for ears, I dont know if a mask has to be within the confines of the textures provided.

As for pale, maybe just do the same shape of LIE, copy skin colour, make lighter in photoshop, remove a little saturation or what, and test it out. I would not know about additive or multiplicative options here. Maybe a very slight blueish tint.

There is a ready made LIE overlay in the Faye and Young Lyra set. It's a simple click on "Faye face flushed" and it will autoapply a transparent mask on anybody's facemap. At least it works with G3 and G8 M/F European skin tones.

Apply several times (2-4) for a deeper blush. The mask is in the installation folder as a.jpg, so you could basically photoshop it larger or smaller to extend that blush over a greater area of the face or setting some cental highlights. It's not that much of a blush to start with, so just copying a useful evenly red part of the texture and doing a large part of the face as a base blush might do the trick (I think eyelids and necks don't blush that much and it tapers off towards the hairline). Should not be too much hassle adapting it for ears, I dont know if a mask has to be within the confines of the textures provided.

As for pale, maybe just do the same shape of LIE, copy skin colour, make lighter in photoshop, remove a little saturation or what, and test it out. I would not know about additive or multiplicative options here. Maybe a very slight blueish tint.

Wow, I will buy that too. Thank you.