IBL And Specularity

Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
edited June 2017 in Bryce Discussion

I have made a scene to illustrate my question. The lovely Adele has supported me. It is an IBL, where the sky 'Sparse Clouds' is used as a HDRI. The sunlight is disabled (see the picture of the Sky Lab below)

Can you see any difference? (except Adele on the right side has a bit another position to the camera) I don't think so. I can't either. But there is one and that's my question, why you cannot see anything. For Adele on the left side I have used the same settings as for Adele on the right side, except I turned the Specularity Glider up to 1000. But it seems to make no effect. Dear Bryce friends, anyone a idea, what I am making wrong or what the meaning of specularity glider is? Does it only works with true HDRIs? Thanks.

ibl_and_spec.jpg
660 x 660 - 28K
ibl_and_spec2.jpg
626 x 533 - 132K
Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,499

Specularity needs a bright light source to create gloss on an object. The HDRI you use has no bright light source, the horizon is not enough. The HDRI you made from this sky gives very nice ambient light but won't create much shadows and less specular. You can try to enable Compat(ible) Specularity and set Intensity to Apply to light source. This makes it Bryce 6 compatible. But at Intensity 5 there won't be a lot of difference. Since you don't render the HDRI as backdrop, you can push up Intensity. Still, keep in mind that there's no real bright light (sun, lamps, etc) in the HDRI that can create gloss. If you want to experiment, you can create the same HDRI from the sky again but make the sun visible.

• Thank you very much Horo for the quick response. I will try your suggestions.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited June 2017

I have started to make a few experiments with IBL and discovered that the IBL tab seems to be a wonderland for me with its own behaviour sometimes, e.g. the ball element right of the option 'Compat specularity'. Interesting little thing seems to have a life of its own :-)

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,499

I don't have to tell you that I'm a big fan of IBL, though I know well enough that there are also limits and caveats. It is generally an unknown "beast", Studio and Carrara users struggle with it if they can muster the courage to give it a try at all. I have a couple of PDF documents on this subject under Sky as well as a couple of videos.

The rollerball lets you position the HDRI in all 3 axes and this is not only the background but also the light. If you holdf down the Ctrl key, rotation is restricted to Yaw (left/right).