Is a texture file loaded multiple times if it's used by several figures?

If a jpeg file is shared by many figures in one scene, will it occupy so many times the memory during render and preview?

Also, the material is often separated into many blocks which use the same setting in a DAZ figure. What's the answer in this condition?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,148
    edited June 2017

No, as long as the image file is the same it won't be loaded multiple times (I'm not sure about differeing values in the image editor - especially for Iray when there are more options). Sorry, that was a DS answer - I'm less sure about Poser, but I think that with Firefly and the nwe engine the textures are not duplicated in RAM.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • reko34reko34 Posts: 94

No, as long as the image file is the same it won't be loaded multiple times (I'm not sure about differeing values in the image editor - especially for Iray when there are more options). Sorry, that was a DS answer - I'm less sure about Poser, but I think that with Firefly and the nwe engine the textures are not duplicated in RAM.

Thanks!

By the way, why are the same material separated into many parts for DAZ people, e.g. Torso and Nipple? If one part is changed separately, the color will no longer be continuous. If one part uses another texture, the system has to load two complete jpg files of the same size. I don't see any merit in this.

• In most cases it's to allow fine tuning - for example you could adjust the base colour of one area tot int the maps slightly.

• reko34reko34 Posts: 94

In most cases it's to allow fine tuning - for example you could adjust the base colour of one area tot int the maps slightly.

If one part is changed separately, the color will no longer be continuous. An obvious edge will be shown. And the material distribution is not designed to fake a body suit or something alike.