Security warning?

My Kaspersky virus software is really picky about loading some programs, and Cararra 8.5 is one of them. I get a dozen checks on whether this module is ok to load, etc, on startup.

Then I get something that could be an issue. "Carrara 8 (Low Restricted) is attempting to establish an outgoing TCP connection with remote computer  (address) to remote port 80". Allow or Block?

Whether I Allow or Block, Carrara loads fine. I am still concerned that apparently Carrara is trying to connect to a remote computer.

What is up here. Safe or not???!

Bob

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2017

I have Kaspersky as well... is it in your trusted apps (green box for trusted)?  DAZ by default is in there, but I had to add Carrara manually, so it's a custom setting. Everything breezes through now. Don't forget other sources of 3D stuff if you download, et those 'other' sites....

yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • hrpschrdhrpschrd Posts: 179
    edited June 2017

Silene;

Good idea, but I am kinda basic and haven't downloaded any extras.

Where is the "green box" in Kaspersky?

Bob

Post edited by hrpschrd on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2017

I have Kaspersky Internet Protection (cloud based)  so the menu is like this:

Open the K icon to the diaglogue box and choose  Tools /  Application Control / Applications / Manage Applications  

Then a list comes up. All the green box items are first, and you should have DAZ. Scroll down till you see Carrara... right-click and choose Restrictions. All the restriction boxes will show up, and it may be under low restricted yellow or possibly high restricted which is an orange box.  Change to green for trusted! It will likely become a blue square with a human icon in it to show you customised it.

Some K programmes have different menus depending on what you have subscribed to, but you can manage the application restrictions on all of them. It's not the friendliest interface, but am used to it after a few years of all versions. If you have a different version, go to their site for your version and there should be instructions for navigating yours.

yes  I hope...    Silene

ETA:     http://support.kaspersky.com/learning/courses/kl_102.98/chapter2.3/section6   

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited June 2017

Port 80 is where most HTTP servers live so it would look like it is making an HTTP request (just like your browser when you go to a website), can't say why it would do that but I would not worry that much about it and if you do, block it, you said it works fine anyway, you will notice if anything go wrong.

If you are still worried go to any of the "who is" websites ( https://www.whatismyip.com/ip-whois-lookup/ ) and enter the address you get in the request and enter it there and you will see where it leads to.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • hrpschrdhrpschrd Posts: 179
    edited June 2017

Uh, oh.

I just loaded up Carrara and I had to clear 19 block/allow windows!

Silene's instructions correctly changed Carrara to an approved application, but . . .

Post edited by hrpschrd on