Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

. Wild Dreads for V4 - I can't remember if I can pick something from a different shop to showcase

If you mean another store, no. All picks are from Daz. You can post a link to other store galleries, such as the Rendo gallery, DA, etc. 

Didn't think so which is why I picked the hair lol.

• xmasrosexmasrose Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2017

xmasrose top 3 picks for july 2017

This has been a cat month for me!

Belle6 a really great skin   render

Jewelry Basics by Fisty & Darc  use them a lot    render

Noodle the toon cat   so cute to play with    render

Post edited by xmasrose on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830
    edited August 2017
    hit wrong button, see next post
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830
    edited August 2017
    Novica said:

So....when was the last time you did some "spring cleaning?" Inquiring minds want to know if you keep more than you should, because of your artistic nature.

Second question- what kind of artistic things do you have? Mine are animal / reptile / bird books, (lots of bird books- I had amazons, macaws, cockatoos, and have lineolated parakeets at the moment), barn books, lighthouse books, wild west books, etc. And tons of wax watercolors, inks, acrylics, watercolor pencils, cold and hot pressed watercolor pads of all brands, bristol pads, sketch pads, scratchart paper (huge sheets, custom),  gouache, oils. I did manage to give away all the wood burning stuff. Big whoop. One type of thing. I'm also guilty of buying frames when they're on sale, thinking I'll watercolor or mixed media something to put in those. Yeah, right.

Over the past couple of years, I have interacted with a local non-profit that provides studio and gallery space to adult artists with disabilities. This past year I gave them a bunch of surplus art supplies, some books, and 20 years of Artist Magazines which they use to make collages and as reference materials. It was time to clear some stuff out of the house. 

In terms of art supplies, I'm like you. Oil, watercolor, and acrylic paints and brushes, pastels, charcoal, inks, all sorts of paper and canvases, sculpture supplies and clay, woodburning tools, colored and graphite pencils, scratchboard panels and tools, a hand printing press, type and supplies, screen printing linoleum cutting tools, a stack of frames, and more. My children always loved my art closet as they could always find something to do. I have quite an extensive library on art history as well as some indivdual artists, plus instructional books on many subjects (anatomy, animals, birds, landscapes, portraits, drawing, painiting, cartooning, etc.). 

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited August 2017

Last spring cleaning we did was about 8/10 weeks ago, when we joined forces with my mother for a garage sale. We had it here as she lives in a townhouse in a resort near the lake, and we have a massive open 3 bay shed - so way more room. LOL. Mum's stuff was beautiful - antiques, things she had bought when she lived and travelled overseas, a suitcase full of wine corks (LOL), and really beautiful items. We had the standard "junk" we just wanted to clean out. :D Books (I have 400+ books on my ipad); cd's (all our music is on our computers/ipad now); kitchen stuff (my god, the 'plastics' cupboard! all those plastic containers etc that just multiply!!!) and things like that. It was a great success - we made enough to pay back my mother the loan we got from her for our new washing machine when our 20+ year old bit the dust suddenly - and mum was happy to finally clear out a lot of things that she simply didn't have room for. She was a little sad to see some of the antiques go as they were family antiques, but she simply did not have the room for them, nor I. A pair of bellows that belonged to my great great grandmother was an immediate sale when we opened up - my great great grandma was born in 1850 or whereabouts so they were OLD. 

As for artistic supplies - well, I have a couple of colouring books and coloured pencils and that's about it. LOL. My husband has a lot of art drawing books tho, he's a cartoonist artist and our sole remaining bookcase is full of his art books. :D

Novica said:

So....when was the last time you did some "spring cleaning?" Inquiring minds want to know if you keep more than you should, because of your artistic nature.

Second question- what kind of artistic things do you have? 

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

So bellows (emit a strong blast of air)  was something I had to look up- was that used to blow on flames to keep a fire going, or what was the use? 

yes, used for the fireplace/wood stove, I believe to get the flames going. Similar design and looks to the images in this image search 

Absolutely no practical use to us anymore, but kinda sad to see something that my g-g-grandmother touched go. We do however, still have a few of her pieces, so all is not lost. I have her "jerry pot" *grin* (chamber pot) sitting in my bookcase as it's quite lovely. 

Novica said:

So bellows (emit a strong blast of air)  was something I had to look up- was that used to blow on flames to keep a fire going, or what was the use? 

My great great grandmother's chamber pot *laughs* Pride of place in my bookcase. It's a lovely piece really, people think it's just a decorative jug and often say it would like nice with a potted plant in it. It still makes me giggle to think I own something that my g g grandma peed in! 

And as an added bonus, you can see to the left my sole 'artistic supplies' - colouring book and pencils and felt pens. *laughs*

chamberpot.jpg
    800 x 600 - 411K

Quick heads up - for those who don't have the Hivewire House Cat and kitten and loved Saiyaness's LAMH presets for them, they are currently on sale @ 35%. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604
    edited August 2017

I'm going to wait until a cat is released here I think. But the hair presets look good. I just can't shake the cat drama I am a daz loyalist I think.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I'm going to wait until a cat is released here I think. But the hair presets look good. I just can't shake the cat drama I am a daz loyalist I think.

Nothing wrong with that. If/when Daz releases new animals I am sure that I will snatch them right up.

As far as stuff goes... I have a whole half a basement full of glass rods, a torch, a kiln and various other tools to make beads.  I have been neglecting the bead making in favor of DAZ (plus, it get really HOT down there in the summer with a 1700 degree torch running right in front of your face and the kiln ramped up a foot and a half away). I will be doing more of that once it cools down a bit.

I have grown up coloring books, colored pencils, markers etc etc. Anything you can draw or color with I probably have.

I also have a ton of jewelry making supplies, stones, finding, tools etc etc.  That stuff, is going to be sold off in the next 6 months or so.  I just have to work myself up to catologing, photographing etc etc to get it all put up online and auction it off.  Going to take freaking days of work...)  I will be keeping the metal smithing tools and supplies and probably the lapidary stuff at least for now.

edited August 2017

Does anyone have Brooklyn Apartment ? It is 50 percent off right now... But it doesn't mention you can hide the ceiling. I'm looking for some nice bedrooms, with ceilings that can be hidden. I'm not into the section plane method. I want to hide surfaces.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920
    edited August 2017

If the ceiling is a material of itself you just need to adjust the opacity or cutout depending is using 3DL or Iray to make it disappear.

Post edited by frank0314 on

Yeah, I can't tell though whether it has its own mat zone based on the promo. I've given up buying content that I must section. I don't like doing that.

Sorry, you've found one I don't have LOL. 

edited August 2017

Pure Luxury Bedroom Scene has a separate ceiling. All walls are separate, floor is separate, doors open and close, two sets of morphs for the drapes to open and close. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Was going to render it for you, but it's midnight here and I'm too tired to piddle with it. But it's a nice set (and I don't want to throw a render on the thread that doesn't do it justice.)  It's easy to use because the walls can be hidden, so you can back up your camera. Anyway, hope that helps.

Post edited by Novica on

I really like Pure Luxury. Looks like a useful set, I think I will pick that up. I like that the pa shows the wall can be hidden in the promo.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Isidorn's Top 3 for July

Benita for Victoria 8 - render

Nail Polish for Genesis 3 Female - Works on G8 too. Lots of options for nails (both fingers and toes). On preset displayed in this render

Lethal Rogue Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) - render

Only managed to get 3 renders done in July and that last one I wasn't happy at all with. But the outfit can definitely be used again, so into the list it goes.

• How about grammar rock, I'm just a bill, and OMG that "yuck mouth" commercial?  Heh heh.

Replying to a post from page 24, but I just couldn't resist.  It was called Schoolhouse Rock and I remember them all very well.  In fact, one day a few years back I was poking through the discount/clearance dvd bin in wally world and I found a dvd with ALL of them on it!  Of course I bought it immediately hehe.

Now to current things.  OMG OMG the LAMH2 Catalyzer for Iray is finally here!!!  Only works on AM creatures for now but we have LAMH in Iray now YAY!  Busy downloading my 3k+ products to my new laptop (with a Iray capable 1060 finally) but I'll give it a shot after I finish that.  Currently working through the I's heh.

Serene Night, speaking of mat zones, did you see that the PC Sweatsuit had been updated with more material zones? It was mentioned over at the PC forum. 

Yeah, I can't tell though whether it has its own mat zone based on the promo. I've given up buying content that I must section. I don't like doing that.

A few people have been saying they're not getting their serial numbers for it, but hopefully DAZ will fix that in the morning (gotta love new releases and sales starting when no-one is in the office). If you get a chance, would love to hear what your experiences are with it - render times, ease of use etc.  

Now to current things.  OMG OMG the LAMH2 Catalyzer for Iray is finally here!!!  Only works on AM creatures for now but we have LAMH in Iray now YAY!  Busy downloading my 3k+ products to my new laptop (with a Iray capable 1060 finally) but I'll give it a shot after I finish that.  Currently working through the I's heh.

• Yes I saw on the PA thread that this was an issue.  Apparently it is a Daz thing and I'm sure they will sort it out SOOON (tm) hehe at any rate I'm grabbing it and will let you know once I can use it. 

jakiblue said:

A few people have been saying they're not getting their serial numbers for it, but hopefully DAZ will fix that in the morning (gotta love new releases and sales starting when no-one is in the office). If you get a chance, would love to hear what your experiences are with it - render times, ease of use etc.  

Cool, thanks! The updates to his animals have arrived in both DIM and Smart Content updates. laugh 

Yes I saw on the PA thread that this was an issue.  Apparently it is a Daz thing and I'm sure they will sort it out SOOON (tm) hehe at any rate I'm grabbing it and will let you know once I can use it. 

jakiblue said:

edited August 2017

Edit- When I shop, I don't see a lot of things because of what I already own. Apparently there's some really good deals today.

Post edited by Novica on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Dreamfarmer's Top 3 for July

Heath Hair   Example 1  Example 2 Hands down my favorite hair. I used it on every character in the second example. It's just such a nice option for a generic 'short messy' look.

BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits & Promos  Example 1  Example 2  Not my usual go-to light set but it turns out they work pretty well (and faster than I remember) for portraits where I'm not getting too creative.

SC Rain for Genesis 3 Female  Example 1 Example 2  She's just such an evocative character with that uniquely useful skin. I did touch up her bloody hands a bit in Example 1 but it's one of those touchups I'm not sure made any difference,

Okay, I've had this thing wishlisted and don't understand it. But I notice it has LAMH mentioned- how do you use masks with that? Would it work with whatever the new LAMH thing is for today?  Mask and Multitask Toolbox

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    Novica said:

Okay, I've had this thing wishlisted and don't understand it. But I notice it has LAMH mentioned- how do you use masks with that? Would it work with whatever the new LAMH thing is for today?  Mask and Multitask Toolbox

I don't have it so I don't know much about it, but from it's age it was pre-Iray i.e. 3Delight. Has it's function been superceded by canvases for Iray rendering? I don't know the answer but I know that some people who drop by here have used canvases and may know more.

edited August 2017

Well, there's this thread on lighting with canvases. (Seems like a lot of work and I didn't see any examples that made me think it was worth the time for what I personally need.) 

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.