Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830

@Nath nice lighting and shadows! The floor and wall shine pulls your eye in too, looks great

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

Thanks!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited October 2017

@nath   Impressive!  And what a mess to clean up. Better have a good solvent and industrial gloves!

Well, Nath's turn has shifted longitude, it's now about 28 degrees instead of 32, so Pensacola will get brushed more (and of course we're on the wrong side of the darned thing.) I went out and worked Stetson a bit (he weighs 1076 pounds according to a weight tape, has to get to about 900 to be healthy. He's a little roly poly dude!)  Going out again tonight as winds will be gusting anywhere from 35-70mph tomorrow, depending on the weather source. Tornadoes will be the biggie for us.

Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    Novica said:

@nath   Impressive!  And what a mess to clean up. Better have a good solvent and industrial gloves!

Well, Nath's turn has shifted latitudes, it's now about 28 degrees instead of 32, so Pensacola will get brushed more (and of course we're on the wrong side of the darned thing.) I went out and worked Stetson a bit (he weighs 1076 pounds according to a weight tape, has to get to about 900 to be healthy. He's a little roly poly dude!)  Going out again tonight as winds will be gusting anywhere from 35-70mph tomorrow, depending on the weather source. Tornadoes will be the biggie for us.

Stay safe, lady! 

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

roly poly pony - try saying that twenty times fast.

Enjoy the ride, and good luck with the storm!

edited October 2017

Here's BD Aspen for Victoria 8        Karissa Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females      FG Ultra Tee for Genesis 8 Female(s) 

Showing you the original and then after I tweaked the nose, mouth, and jaw width. I elongated the chin a bit but it doesn't really show much. I changed up the reflectivity/glossy a bit on the materials too.  FYI  Karissa Hair renders fast, for those of you with slower computers. 

Mine, with changes. Click back and forth between the two windows and you'll see the changes. I did a lot with the nostril wings and nostril height. The mouth is totally different. I also dislike puckering at the end of the mouth, so you can change the depth there and the puckers are softened.

Aspen ORGIN.png
    451 x 578 - 458K
    Aspen MINE.png
    451 x 578 - 491K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2017

I'm going to show you what a difference lighting makes- still using Pro-Studio, but this one for this post is 19L and she looks a bit younger to me. This is again my version of her, not the original.

Aspen Mine 19R.png
    451 x 578 - 499K
    Post edited by Novica on

@novica I like your version too - especially the mouth. The eye color goes well with that hair and skin too

• quadchromaquadchroma Posts: 35
    edited October 2017

So, HDRIHaven is now free - not just an intro pack, but everything.  They have some really nice 16K HDRIs there.

This is the Dresden station one.  It seemed like a good opportunity to try out some of my sale purchases.

Midori for Aiko 7
    Razor cut Bob hair for G3

Sunday Morning Outfit for G3F

Edit: Stockings from Moto Girl Outfit for G3F

midori-dresden_station-01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 512K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • EtaminEtamin Posts: 129
    edited October 2017

So, HDRIHaven is now free - not just an intro pack, but everything.  They have some really nice 16K HDRIs there.

Thanks for the heads up :)

This is the Dresden station one.  It seemed like a good opportunity to try out some of my sale purchases.

Midori for Aiko 7

Yes, this render is just dangerous and irresponsible, especially if you are using CPU for render rather than GPU - The poor girl is going to be hit by a train if she stands there much longer! ;)

Great render, and heading over to HDRI Haven now.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

If you need sword fighting poses for G3F and G8F you should check out Aeon Soul's new release.  It has not only full body poses but also partial body poses so you can put your own pose together with just a couple clicks.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    EcVh0 said:

What's the difference between EcVh0's Cinematic Render Resource Kit for Iray and Tonal Rage - Tone Mapping Toolkit for Iray? Wondering if it's worth getting if I already have Tonal Rage. About to do a series of book illustrations and wondering if it would be handy or redundant.

The difference between mine and Dimension's is that Dimension's are for professionals who knows what they are doing with all the tone mapping settings, mine is for those who doesn't know what they are looking for and sick of trying thousands of combinations to get it :)

Hope that helps :)

The Cinematic Render Resource Kit was perfect for my needs.  I used it in some of Salvatore's promos- this one is the Portrait 3 I think, with some tweaks of my own: 

I added in the credit for the use- but I wanted to personally thank you.  What usually takes a day or more fiddling with lights and settings took me 10 minutes to work out using your kit. Saved my sanity.

I'm so glad my resource kit is useful for you!

And wow this looks incredible! TAKE MY MONEYYYYY!

Hours away from Hurricane Nate's outer bands coming in,  this is now 90mph and a Category 2 and we're on the bad side, tornadoes will be springing up. We may lose internet service. It's supposed to go even higher, to 105 mph up at landfall. Frankly, we have thunderstorms that can gust 50-60mph and rainstorms of 8 inches or more don't flood my neighborhood at all, so just going to enjoy the balmy weather. But if I'm not online tonight or tomorrow, it may be internet related. (We have generator power, so that isn't a problem .) 

I wanted to point out the SY Energy Iray Beams-  great price in M.F.Grab- and for that price, even if it didn't have the beams, you get hand poses and poses. So take a peek at the thumbnails!  Goes to $3.99 with qualifying item.

• EcVh0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

What's the difference between EcVh0's Cinematic Render Resource Kit for Iray and Tonal Rage - Tone Mapping Toolkit for Iray? Wondering if it's worth getting if I already have Tonal Rage. About to do a series of book illustrations and wondering if it would be handy or redundant.

The difference between mine and Dimension's is that Dimension's are for professionals who knows what they are doing with all the tone mapping settings, mine is for those who doesn't know what they are looking for and sick of trying thousands of combinations to get it :)

Hope that helps :)

The Cinematic Render Resource Kit was perfect for my needs.  I used it in some of Salvatore's promos- this one is the Portrait 3 I think, with some tweaks of my own: 

I added in the credit for the use- but I wanted to personally thank you.  What usually takes a day or more fiddling with lights and settings took me 10 minutes to work out using your kit. Saved my sanity.

I'm so glad my resource kit is useful for you!

And wow this looks incredible! TAKE MY MONEYYYYY!

lol- thank you!

Ug-Novica, be safe.  s'all that matters!

edited October 2017

FG Relaxing Room

I was just testing lighting, the lights that come with the room are fine too, but when I got near the middle of the room I just wanted to experiment. Don't ask me which lights I used, I accidentally closed the studio and hit the wrong button (not to save.) I had added a Ghost Light (to our left) and I had tried Dumor's Apocalyptic Plant Indoor Lights 2 so that may be what is shown here.

Anyway, I didn't use the pillow morphs, but those big pillows have them. This is the default Aspen character. Those are Boho Short Outfit (Gen8F)

aspen relaxing room.png
    548 x 703 - 688K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2017
    RGcincy said:

If you get The Backstreets and still do 3DL renders, then The Backstreets by Night is a good addon ... and it's frequently on sale

How quickly it went on sale! In Mega Fast Grab today at $2.44, or less with a debut or still new release.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    Novica said:

I love that hair - don't know how I missed it (perhaps it was released during my penniless phase). I'm very tempted as April's store is on sale, but I already blew a (small) fortune on SIckleyield and DestinysGarden in mega fastgrab today...

edited October 2017

@melanieL    That hair renders VERY quickly too. I was quite pleased!

There's been 27 tornadoes in Alabama and Florida so far, Hurricane Nate made second landfall in Mississippi about half an hour ago. We've got neat balmy weather, with sheets of rain then absolutely nothing, then more rain. The wind is gusting   45-55mph which makes the blowing rain very pretty. (Uh oh, television beeping for another tornado in Alabama. You folks stay safe and watch this for the next few hours!) 

Have to mention Home Theater   so far as separate walls. FAIL. Just one room and has no separate walls. Hope you're pretty good at changing camera settings, can anyone post a quick tip or two on which settings are best to get that wider horizontal view and scene depth? It is really difficult to scoot around in this room due to the walls.

The ceiling is separate. The textures in the room are very nice.  Note Door 2 DOES open and close if you select it in Scene and Y ROTATE. There's nothing in the Parameters. The lighting is Pro-Studio 7R. 

home theater.png
    622 x 800 - 889K
    home theater 2.png
    622 x 800 - 927K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2017
    Novica said:
    Have to mention Home Theater   so far as separate walls. FAIL. Just one room and has no separate walls. Hope you're pretty good at changing camera settings, can anyone post a quick tip or two on which settings are best to get that wider horizontal view and scene depth? It is really difficult to scoot around in this room due to the walls.

It's really pretty easy. I'm grabbing some viewport shots and will be right back with some details for you. (Working on the other computer, so this'll take a couple of minutes.)

Okay. Here ya' go:

1. Select your camera in the Viewport dropdown so you're looking at the scene through the camera.
    2. Select the camera in the Scene Tab.
    3. Open the Cameras Tab.
    4. In the left column, select Camera, if it's not already selected.
    5. Adjust the view through the camera using the Frame Width and Focal Length settings.
      • To zoom out with the Frame Width, slide the control to the right, (increasing the number.)
      • To zoom out with the Frame Length, slide the control to the left, (decreading the number.)

Camera Settings

The following images are just saved viewport "draws." The first is the "default" image through the camera after placing it in the corner of the small room. The second image is with the Focal Length adjusted, and the third uses the Frame Width.

Default Focal Length and Frame Width:

Default Focal Length and Frame Width

Focal Length Adjusted:

Focal Length Adjusted

Frame Width Adjusted:

Frame Width Adjusted

Camera Tab Camera section.jpg
    666 x 449 - 74K
    Camera settings Default.png
    649 x 884 - 670K
    Focal Length Lower Number.png
    649 x 884 - 482K
    Frame Width Higher Number.png
    649 x 884 - 451K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited October 2017

@ladair  Thanks for showing that.  I use the camera settings a lot for DOF, just wondering if there's a good general setting where there isn't quite as much foreshortening (I'm not sure if that's the best word to use- but it's where things start getting distorted.)  I'm trying to figure out how focal distance would play with the focal length in these crowded room situations. 

Edit- I'm checking out the cameras that come with the product, they do a good job of handling the problem. But why not make separate walls????

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2017

The Back Gate        Dakotaraptor         Tropical Palm Trees for Daz Studio

You may be thinking "I have palm trees in other sets, why do I need more?"  Well, these palm trees are really thick with fronds, have good detail, and there's a nice variety.  You'll also note some browner, dying fronds, which is very realistic.

The Dakoraptor- if anyone has this, will you try the saliva? It didn't load for me, I tried with the main character selected, and with the head. Nothing.  I really don't like the large groin area on these, and the female's is the same as the males, which I think is funky.  It all hangs down more than I like, due to the abdomen being curved up. I think it's distracting. Also, the default eyes are extremely small.

This isn't quite the default skin, I added reflectivity/glossy and played with it a bit. I do like the details. There are feather options too.

I increased the bump for the ground, but otherwise The Back Gate is out of the box. Good for quickie backgrounds (crates and other props not shown) and if you need a detailed ground plane.  Reminder- doesn't come with the palm trees.

backgate dinosaurs.png
    622 x 800 - 1M
    backgate dinosaurs 2.png
    622 x 800 - 996K
    Post edited by Novica on

Midori for Aiko 7

She's spunky! Love the fluidity in the dress. Thanks for sharing, it's good to know about HDRIHaven.

edited October 2017

Oh, and yes- it got nasty here. The winds were howling at 1:45am and it was 50mph gusting at least 75. It took down my gate and two panels of fencing on either side, and my dogs got out. I had gone around to the main gate to ensure it was still latched and during that time, the three little varmits found the section that was down. So I frantically get dressed, hop in the truck, and drive the neighborhood. One neighbor gave me a bad tip so I head the wrong way, found the dogs on my street about eight minutes later. So sweet though, two other neighbors hopped in their vehicles and one went to guard the entry to the subdivision which would lead out of the neighborhood and onto the main road. People are so nice! And my next door neighbor (the one whose dog got killed two weeks ago)  already helped me nail the sections back to the posts, and I'll call a fence guy to replace all of it tomorrow. It will probably be a few weeks as I'm sure they're going to get a lot of business. Thanks Hurricane Nate! 

Post edited by Novica on

I edited my comment a few posts back- the theater has different cameras (sigh, I've got to get in the habit of looking for those) which handle the problem of the room being one object. But still wanting separate walls!!!

edited October 2017

Here is the theater room with the vendor's camera 1. There are 6 camera presets (not listed on the promo page, but even then I may have forgotten to look for them in Scene pane.) 

home theater 3.png
    900 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  •  

Etamin said:

Thanks for the heads up :)

Yes, this render is just dangerous and irresponsible, especially if you are using CPU for render rather than GPU - The poor girl is going to be hit by a train if she stands there much longer! ;)

Great render, and heading over to HDRI Haven now.

Thanks!  You'll be happy to know that this was rendered on a fairly chunky GPU - so she wasn't standing there too long.  :-D

Novica said:

Midori for Aiko 7

She's spunky! Love the fluidity in the dress. Thanks for sharing, it's good to know about HDRIHaven.

Thanks!  I've only been fiddling with 3D and Daz for a couple months, and I always struggle with setting up lights.  So the HDRIs are so nice for doing character design and quick renders.

Just got a text, tornado hit near the owner's barn (which is about 8-10 acres away from the borders' barn) no damage to it fortunately,  but three huge trees completely uprooted and down. 

Novica said:

Just got a text, tornado hit near the owner's barn (which is about 8-10 acres away from the borders' barn) no damage to it fortunately,  but three huge trees completely uprooted and down. 

That's too close! Hope it all clears out soon. Stay safe.

• Novica said:

Yikes; 4 hurricanes in a year is too many. Glad to know you're okay, though.

edited October 2017

Adding on to what L'Adair shared.

The two settings that influence how much of a scene is shown by a camera is Focal Length and Frame Width. Focal Length comes from photography.  A low number is wide-angle (shows more of the scene) and a high number is telephoto and brings far away things in close (shows less of the scene). If you buy a camera that has interchangeable lens, it usually comes with a single focal length lens at 50 or 55 mm which is good for average photography. Many people will buy a zoom lens such as a 30-205 mm so you can use 30mm to see more of the scene (for landscapes), go to 85mm for portraits, or 205mm to zoom in on a mountain feature.  If you already know how camera lens work, this is a good parameter to use.

Frame Width has a similar function that works in reverse. A smaller width is zooming in and showing less of the scene while a bigger width is zooming out and showing more of a scene. If you are not familiar with camera lens, this may be a more intuitive parameter to use as you can think wider = more scene shown. 

Although you can vary both parameters at the same time, they appear to work the same in Daz Studio and you can get the same result by just changing one or the other.

You can also change what is in a scene without changing these parameters by moving the camera closer to the subject or further away. This can be a problem though if you have a wall that gets in the way. That's why people who take photos to advertise a house for sale will use a very wide angle lens so you can see a full room in one photo instead of just a corner. A watch-out with very wide-angle lens is they can distort features: things close to the lens will become unusually large and walls can bend in or out at sharp angles.  To avoid the bent wall phenomenon, keep the lens level. Set X- and Z-rotate to zero and only rotate around Y. If you're seeing too much of the floor, don't tip the camera, move it up or down using Y translate.

These demo photos use Apartment Living Room. I set the camera up near the entry door as shown here.

1. The default camera setting is Focal Length 65 and Frame Width 36. You can only see the couch and the far corner.

2. Here's with a very wide-angle setting of Focal Length 10 and Frame Width at the default of 36. You can see almost everything in the room including the table next to the camera but the couch looks really far away and the foreground floor predominates too much. The ceiling windows are showing lots of distortion too.

3. Here is a good compromise. You can see the couch, the table, and the lounge chair. Focal Length is 27 and Frame Width is the default of 36.

4. This is an almost identical view as #3. In this case I kept the default Focal Length of 65 and only changed the Frame Width to 86. This shows that you can get the same view by changing only one parameter or the other.

5. This has a view similar to #3. Focal Length is 26.5 and Frame Width is the default of 36 but in this case I tipped the camera. Although what you see is about the same, notice that the window frames are becoming more angled as you move away from the far corner and you can now see part of a wall tipping in. This is why you want to avoid tilting your camera (unless it's an effect you want).

Room Focal Length 65 Frame Width 36.jpg
    750 x 600 - 291K
    Room Focal Length 10 Frame Width 36.jpg
    750 x 600 - 306K
    Room Focal Length 27 Frame Width 36.jpg
    750 x 600 - 322K
    Room Focal Length 65 Frame Width 86.jpg
    750 x 600 - 321K
    Room Focal Length 26.5 Frame Width 36 tipped.jpg
    750 x 600 - 328K
    Photo test.jpg
    628 x 464 - 88K