Posr always looks shitty for the first few renders?

UpiriumUpirium Posts: 705
edited February 2013 in The Commons

I am running Poser Pro 2012.
Before I ran 2010 for a while. I sucked for a little it but got better so I'm not sure about that one.
However when I installed PP 2012 things looked sucky for a while no matter what I did and then gradually started looking better but I never really changed the render settings that much.
I had to reinstall PP2012 and it did the same thing.
And then again, same thing.
And then...again, same thing.
Now I have moved it to a different computer. I checked the render settings on my old computer and they're lower than the settings I have on the new one but the renders aren't pretty like my other computer.
So does Poser do some weird thing, where the first few renders are shitty with a freshly installed Poser?

I will show you pictures from yesterdays render on the other computer and today's render when it's finished.
But the only render settings I have changed other than using the auto high level renders, is this:

Raytracing: 2
Radiance Caching: 50 (or is it irradiance caching?)
Pixel Samples: 4
Post Filter size: 1
Post Filter Type: Sinc, not box.

From what I remember of my other render settings.

Pixel samples: 4
Raytracing 2:
Post filter 2:
Sinc
Caching: 50

This is from yesterday:
Link removed

This is from today. Warning: nudity.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/0cc05daa67163690878d1fb13a611456/tumblr_mip5z0KYrA1r8y8hko1_1280.png

Help.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited February 2013

iDiru said:
    Before I ran 2010 for a while. I sucked for a little it but got better so I'm not sure about that one.
    However when I installed PP 2012 things looked sucky for a while no matter what I did and then gradually started looking better but I never really changed the render settings that much.
    Now I have moved it to a different computer. I checked the render settings on my old computer and they're lower than the settings I have on the new one but the renders aren't pretty like my other computer.
    So does Poser do some weird thing, where the first few renders are shitty with a freshly installed Poser?

I will show you pictures from yesterdays render on the other computer and today's render when it's finished.
    But the only render settings I have changed other than using the auto high level renders, is this:

Raytracing 2:
    Post filter 2:
    Sinc

This is from yesterday:
    Link removed

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0cc05daa67163690878d1fb13a611456/tumblr_mip5z0KYrA1r8y8hko1_1280.png

Help.

The difference in the renders you posted appear to be related to textures, lighting, and such. The only way to remotely make such judgements of quality would be to render the exact same scene with the exact same render settings on the two different installations of Poser. It's not remotely fair to compare these two to judge how one installation is rendering over the other.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • UpiriumUpirium Posts: 705
    edited February 2013

iDiru said:

Raytracing 2:
    Post filter 2:
    Sinc

This is from yesterday:

Help.

The difference in the renders you posted appear to be related to textures, lighting, and such. The only way to remotely make such judgements of quality would be to render the exact same scene with the exact same render settings on the two different installations of Poser. It's not remotely fair to compare these two to judge how one installation is rendering over the other.
    I've used that skin texture several times though. This is the skin texture on another figure rendered over on the other computer.
    Graphic nudity though...
    Link removed

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447
    edited December 1969

When posting images with nudity please make sure that they are flagged on the host site and that the link requires that users have an account and get a prompt before going to the image - deviant Art galleries should allow this.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2013

only 2 bounces?

-
    my draft render settings

Pixel samples: 5
    Raytracing 4:
    Post filter 1:
    Sinc
    Caching: 100
    min shade: .02
    displacement on

-
    production render settings

Pixel samples: 10
    Raytracing 12 (if there is a lot of glass windows i go to the scripted settings and raise bounces to 20)
    Post filter 1:
    Sinc
    Caching: 100
    min shade: O
    displacement on
    shadows on
    SSS on

if i'm rendering a lot of dark colors, i'll turn IDL on

Post edited by Mistara on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited February 2013

iDiru said:
    I've used that skin texture several times though. This is the skin texture on another figure rendered over on the other computer.
    Graphic nudity though...
    Link removed

Which doesn't change my point. If the scene is different and the lighting different, you can't compare them as being equal. Besides, I can't see how any software could get better or worse over time. Mechanical objects can improve in performance over time as they are "broken in". You can't "break in" software, however. I just changed computers and I only saw an improvement due to having more power to use higher render settings.

Post edited by TheWheelMan on
    edited December 1969

establishing new neural pathways in the m/b silicon? electrons having a wild party at the nuetron?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447
    edited December 1969

Morphic resonance?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 1969

Since I have little to contribute as far a render setting info, I will comment on one thing I have noticed... despited being told it is ridiculous, I have noticed performance decreases, tools that malfunction, settings that don't stay... little tiny bugs that occasionally show up if I've been using my computer heavily for long periods... as a matter of fact I've seen this occur in many computers... its like small things seem to get wonky over time. My response is to shut my computer off for at least an hour... off- not asleep. For these sort of issues, that always seems to fix it.
    Most people don't seem to want to turn off their computers anymore... and I get people telling me turning it off is actually bad for the computer... personally I think that is a myth, but whatever.

edited December 1969

i've seen computers that are never turned off, develop stiction of the hard drive.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618
    edited December 1969

lordvicore said:

Since I have little to contribute as far a render setting info, I will comment on one thing I have noticed… despited being told it is ridiculous, I have noticed performance decreases, tools that malfunction, settings that don’t stay… little tiny bugs that occasionally show up if I’ve been using my computer heavily for long periods… as a matter of fact I’ve seen this occur in many computers… its like small things seem to get wonky over time. My response is to shut my computer off for at least an hour… off- not asleep. For these sort of issues, that always seems to fix it.
    Most people don’t seem to want to turn off their computers anymore… and I get people telling me turning it off is actually bad for the computer… personally I think that is a myth, but whatever.

There is nothing ridiculous about that. Restarting Windows can solve a lot of problems. One of the standard questions you get from most IT helpdesks is "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

It shouldn't make any difference how long you keep it switched off, unless there is a cooling problem and something is overheating.

To go back to the original question, there are a couple of things not listed in the settings. Min shading rate affects the way textures are rendered (lower settings can increase the sharpness of textures but push up render times) and the gamma correction value has a major effect on the look of the render if you have it switched on.